6SN7 Tube Addicts
Feb 7, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #1,651 of 7,413

Quote:
I found one interesting 6SN7's or equivalent and would like to ask how good are they?
The seller said that they are similar to the 33S30B and 5692 's. They are Tesla 6SN7's

Dear Kiertijai, I have used them on my SP Extreme.
They sound fine.
However as I read that they may not be direct replacement for the 6SN7 I never tried them on the BA. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #1,652 of 7,413
Feb 7, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #1,653 of 7,413

Quote:
Has anyone tried the Russian made Tung Sol 6SN7GTB reissued version ?

I have and I don't regard them highly.

I recommend you try some vintage TS, they are not very expensive and worth the money.

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #1,654 of 7,413

Quote:
I'm curious about the Tung-Sol Mouse Ears. Hope to hear them soon. And thanks for your patience. Also, I have another pair of Sylvania's - Short Base. If I recall, these and the other unidentified Syl may sound better than the 6SN7WTA's.

I have to go to bed by sunrise. But I FULLY intend to reinsert the Tung-Sol's tonight and make up for the previous exercise. 
biggrin.gif
 Oh, we're gonna swing, baby!

I had a pair od the Mouse Ears sometime ago but i was not crazy about them and they are gone now.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #1,655 of 7,413
Here is the description of that Tesla 6SN7 or 6CC110 (google translate from Japanese to English)
       unused 6CC10 of TESLA still have not seen at auction overseas, is an exhibition of the same Rottopea. TESLA is the age between 1940-50, there was a vacuum tube system compatible with two types of 6SN7. 6CC1 is a compatible product before and after 1950, until the end stage is 6CC10 from mid-1950s, is almost the same structurally.
The official name of this tube is 6CC10, was manufactured in the plant is the main factory ROZNOV of TESLA. No. 6CC10 is still called, is present in the vacuum tube system Number of Russian-made 6SN7, 6CC10 now is almost the same as 6N8S (6H8C) of so-called Eastern Europe Part structurally. Contents of this tube, and they are quite different, is a super super scarce goods deserve to be called a prototype of the structure of the original 6CC1 or 6CC10 this TESLA. The structure of this pre-tube has been very very similar to 5692, represented by the RCA, this support of five thick rod support spring spacers suppress the vibration plate with a small rib of length 25mm, at the top of mica, the mica sheets 3, It has characteristics such as the square getter in the top two. Vacuum tube with a similar structure that are essentially two types of 33S30B 5692, SWEDEN of RCA, of ERICSSON, or imitation or by chance, camp three major Western Europe, Scandinavia and Eastern Europe 1950 to the same vacuum tube system 6SN7 same concept happens to will be had to. Moreover, these three species has been manufacturing equipment for the military only as a radar tube and all. It was built is 5692 for RCA is 1951 By the way, because is the midst of the Cold War, there was a technology licensing from RCA were not considered to flow into Eastern Europe is 33S30B of ERICSSON of SWEDEN has received technical assistance of RCA probably I think that would be more natural to think of Te have been copied. This pair is old-fashioned look, the print has a half-moon-shaped country of MADE IN CZECHOSLOVAKIA under the print than all your left firmly, TESLA, that 6CC1. Is illegible, but apparently there is a production lot number on the opposite side of the glass. AT1000 vacuum tube as measured by the latest digital measuring instrument, of Amplitrex, the plate voltage is 250V, = 9.0mA expected value Em, = 2.6mA expected value of Gm for (2600mmhos), each pole, Em = 9.6mA 6 #, numeric value greater than the expected value also say Em = 9.6mA, and Gm = 3.4mA each pole, Em = 9.4mA, and Gm = 3.0mA, Em = 11.5mA, Gm = 3.4mA, and the # 8 Gm = 3.2mA, Because to achieve, we have determined that an unused item. 0.0μA leakage poles, gas is # 6 = 0.2-0.2mA, is 8 = 0.4-0.4mA #, 10mA are significantly below the allowable value of the approximate gas tube GT. Bulk goods for military use

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #1,656 of 7,413
Kiertijai, thanks for the info.
BTW what are your top 5 6SN7's?

Blackmore, John57, Oskari, Rob N, we are waiting for your lists.
And from anybody else who would like to contribute please.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,658 of 7,413

Quote:
For reference, is it "Gray Glass" or "Grey Glass" when properly referring to these type of tubes?

It depends if you are American or English!

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #1,659 of 7,413
These looks bit differ than the pair I own. They have smaller base, RFT kind, and bit differ plates construction , also such "ears" that hanging on the top sides  are not inside my pair, so, this tube is new for me and I cant say anything about the sound, but I would say, dont ask about the sound, just get them, cos these are rare looking monkeys:)

Just wonder, these red stemps, are these Russian OTK stemps? If yes, what would that mean, its clearly says Made in Czehoslovakia, or maybe made in Russia after all? Or, which is very possible, they were made for Russian military needs and therefor were passed extra check before they have been used, anyone???

Here are my

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Quote:
I found one interesting 6SN7's or equivalent and would like to ask how good are they?
The seller said that they are similar to the 33S30B and 5692 's. They are Tesla 6SN7's

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #1,661 of 7,413
My best 6SN7 tube is the Tung-Sol reissue made in Russia. This tube by far has the greatest clarity, natural and detailed sounding tube ever made when driving the Tung-Sol 6080 tubes.  This tube also has one of the lowest noise I ever encounter and that is important since I am trying out the Beyerdynamic T 70 headphone and the T70 has the greatest sensitivity  for around the ear headphone and InnerFidelity stated that this headphone only needs 0.03 mW for 90dB SPL. The 6SN7 Tung-Sol reissue looks somewhat like a clone of the 5692 tube more than the older US Tung-Sol which I have but did not like.
My second choice is the CBS JAN 5692 brown base and third is the Hitachi 6SN7 and last very close is the Russia 6SN7 with silver grids which in some music I like better than the Hitachi tube.

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #1,662 of 7,413

Quote:
I took a sip of the Sylvania JAN-6SN7WGTA. Wasn't my tea. Admittedly, this pair has been boxed and sitting for quite some time. I fired up Amarra and let the tubes warm up for an hour. Sadly, I could only last an hour - the exercise proved fatiguing. 

While I found the presentation to be less than satisfactory, even with extended play-in (a week to 21 days) I would only expect them to be merely satisfactory. Hard to tell with a Fly-by. I received the Tall Bottles from musicman59 some months back. Perhaps, he could express if this pair have more in them.

I sampled a handful of tracks at different resolutions:

- "Holidays" Abraham Laboriel, Sr. 16/44.1 kHz
- "Red Clay" The Patrice Rushen Trio 24/96 kHz
- "Non-Stop to Brazil" Astrud Gilberto 16/44.1 kHz
- "Golden Girl" Al Jarreau 16/44.1 kHz
- "Sympathy For The Devil" The Rolling Stones 24/88.2 kHz
- "I Don't Want To Lose Your Love" The Emotions 16/44.1 kHz

My sweeping indictment? They lacked clarity, focus, timbre, detail and spacing. Suffered from a small presentation, sounded somewhat dull and lifeless. Try as I might, I couldn't tap my foot to any of the tracks - the pair simply could not swing. Also sounded veiled, akin to the groups playing in a small living room that has curtains separating it from the dining/kitchen area. You could still make things out, but it clearly sounds like something is in between you and the music.

None of the musicians above could save my session. I had an opportunity to see Abraham Laboriel in concert at La Ve Lee's in Studio City. He's probably got the smoothest Bass in the game. It is said that he is the most widely used session bassist of our time. Who hasn't he worked with?!

Anyway, his licks were marred; had no real definition. Piano, Bass & Drums with The Patrice Rushen Trio sound severely DULL. Astrud's feather-light vocals appeared muffled. Al Jarreau? Out of sheer respect, I feel the need to send the brother an email apologizing for the apparent lack of effort on these tube's part. Poor Mick, sounded constrained; under pressure. Lastly, The female vocal group The Emotions, backed by Earth, Wind & Fire, worked hard to save this session. If you're familiar with The Emotions and their crystal clear and honey-drenched vocals, you'd know they stood a chance! Especially with EWF's Rhythm section and sweet sounding horns... but it wasn't meant to be. 

I know things could get better with time, but I'm not that curious at this writing. Plus, I miss my newly acquired TS-BGRP's! 
wink.gif
 I'm posting a pix of both the Syl Tall Bottle and another Syl that looks like a GT style bottle on the left but no idea what it is.

The tube on the right was pretty much the end of the evolutionary line for Slyvania's tube development and was made in that style all the way up to the early 80's I believe.  I've never heard one myself but I don't see them all that highly spoken of.  The tube on the left is the rather uncommon ladder plate Sylvania.  Very few opinions on this tube really, but they are supposed to sound pretty good.

Based on what I know of your preferences I'm not sure you'll like the mouse ear Tung Sol in your amp.  While I think it is a good tube, I don't care for how it sounds in the Woo amps.  A rather dry and uninvolving sound that is good but not inspiring.  The BGRP is better in every possible way you can think of IMO.  In my OTL it is striking for how transparent and uncolored it is which is why it made my list.  It really lets the sonic character of the output tubes show strongly because it seems to not have much of its own, which can definitely be a useful strength in the right circumstances.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #1,663 of 7,413

Quote:
The tube on the right was pretty much the end of the evolutionary line for Slyvania's tube development and was made in that style all the way up to the early 80's I believe.  I've never heard one myself but I don't see them all that highly spoken of.  The tube on the left is the rather uncommon ladder plate Sylvania.  Very few opinions on this tube really, but they are supposed to sound pretty good.

Based on what I know of your preferences I'm not sure you'll like the mouse ear Tung Sol in your amp.  While I think it is a good tube, I don't care for how it sounds in the Woo amps.  A rather dry and uninvolving sound that is good but not inspiring.  The BGRP is better in every possible way you can think of IMO.  In my OTL it is striking for how transparent and uncolored it is which is why it made my list.  It really lets the sonic character of the output tubes show strongly because it seems to not have much of its own, which can definitely be a useful strength in the right circumstances.

Thanks. I remember both the Sylvania Short Base and the unmarked Syl above sounding better than the 6SN7WGTA. But, since it was a "Drive-by" it got a scant listen - I rolled some 6 to 7 pairs in 16 hours. I may have to revisit your uncommon ladder plate Syl later tonight and tomorrow. I could very well have overlooked potential inside my wooden box. 
biggrin.gif
 Thanks for weighing in...

And to think, without your motivational sales pitch, I'd be "Tung-less!" 
eek.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #1,664 of 7,413
Kiertijai, thanks for the info.
BTW what are your top 5 6SN7's?
    The 6SN7's or equivalents that I frequently used
    1. Mullard ECC33
    2. Tungsol 6F8G's black glass roundplate (or Tungsol BGRP)
    3. KenRad 6F8G's  or (KenRad VT231)
    4. Telefunken 6SN7GT
    5. Sylvania 6SN7W metal base 

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #1,665 of 7,413

Quote:
These looks bit differ than the pair I own. They have smaller base, RFT kind, and bit differ plates construction , also such "ears" that hanging on the top sides  are not inside my pair, so, this tube is new for me and I cant say anything about the sound, but I would say, dont ask about the sound, just get them, cos these are rare looking monkeys:)

Just wonder, these red stemps, are these Russian OTK stemps? If yes, what would that mean, its clearly says Made in Czehoslovakia, or maybe made in Russia after all? Or, which is very possible, they were made for Russian military needs and therefor were passed extra check before they have been used, anyone? 

Blackmore they are not the same tubes, yours are Tesla 6CC1 and Kiertijai's 6CC10.
I have both and sound wise they are nice but IMHO one should not pay too much for them.

If you look how the support rods are bent it says a lot about the quality.
You can see a detaild photo at an earlier post.
They were not very well made.
Jac who rebased some of mine confirmed that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back