6SN7 Tube Addicts
Feb 7, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #1,636 of 7,413

Quote:
My top 5 in not a specific order include some that are not 6SN7 but can be use in my amp as one.

1) Mullard ECC32 Brown or Black base
2) Tungsol 6F8G BG/RP
3) RCA 6F8G Gray Glass
4) Sylvania 6SN7WGT Broan Base/ Chrome top
5) Tungsol 6SN7GT BG/RP

Others that I like: RCA 5692 Red Base, Brimar CV1988 BG, NU 6SN7 BG.

wink_face.gif
 Your list is looking a bit rich. Mind if I stand under the "Pre-Owned" sign above your porch? Perhaps, you'll find other riches later this year...

Maybe we could revisit this later in the year. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #1,637 of 7,413
Late!

I was among the last one's here to board the Tung-Sol Train. I spent an entire year looking at pix, video and reading forum posts. With each passing month there seem to be an uptick in price, used and NOS alike. 

I was sold early on getting a pair. Simply could not afford it. The more members saw me leaning with interest, the more convincing the arguments. Once prices ran away, I purged the famed tube from my memory... until I at least get a job.

But it must be said, during an incidental chat with Xcalibur255, he expressed the tube's merit so eloquently, I reserved a pair that night. I decided to forgo a couple of trips to the Goodie Store and fast some; we are happy. 
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #1,638 of 7,413
1) Tung-Sol BGRP
2) Sylvania 6SN7WGTA (brown base chrome top, triple rivet box plate, one support rod)
3) Raytheon VT-231
4) CBS 6SN7GTB
5) National Union Black Glass - Interesting tube, this was very euphonic in my old setup

Abovementioned tubes were heard in a Darkvoice DV336i with a Bendix 6080 in the rear, driving a HD650 - #1 and 2 got 90% of the play time.

When the ECS7 finally arrives, I plan to roll some Bad Boys, staggered plate Ken-Rads, and an Osram B65 (couldn't resist for $95)
biggrin.gif
Probably will need to reshuffle my top-5 list afterwards too.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #1,640 of 7,413
It's good to have a "preference" call from time to time.
That's how we can "rediscover" forgotten tubes and evaluate different ones.

BTW the Bendix 6080 is a wonderful tube IMHO.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #1,641 of 7,413

Quote:
It's good to have a "preference" call from time to time.
That's how we can "rediscover" forgotten tubes and evaluate different ones.

BTW the Bendix 6080 is a wonderful tube IMHO.

Or become exposed for the very first time. Interested in learning, I great benefits to visiting this thread.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #1,643 of 7,413
Thanks SO.

I for one have lots to learn.
Tube history is fascinating.

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #1,645 of 7,413

Quote:
Thanks SO.

I for one have lots to learn.
Tube history is fascinating.

I hope to do so, while I hold on to my wallet. 
biggrin.gif
 Just started a late-night session @ 0200 hours. Giving the Sylvania Tall Bottle's a quick run. 
eek.gif
 First impressions are early & ugly. But, I'll stay the course. No one should bail after a single track, now should they? In fairness to the lonely tubes, they've been boxed and sitting for a very long time.

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #1,646 of 7,413

Quote:
At least 2/3 of the time the VT-231 and 6SN7GT branded tubes from the same manufacturer in the same time period are the exact same tube.  VT-231s often went through an additional round of testing to meet military criteria, but physically they were the same tubes.  There are exceptions though.  A good example would be Raytheon and Sylvania tubes which have extra support rods in their VT-231 and W versions respectively.

With my 1949 Raytheon 6SN7W's, they lack the extra support rod but are mil-spec, passing military criteria.

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #1,647 of 7,413

Quote:
Does anyone like the sound of Sylvania tall bottle ?

I took a sip of the Sylvania JAN-6SN7WGTA. Wasn't my tea. Admittedly, this pair has been boxed and sitting for quite some time. I fired up Amarra and let the tubes warm up for an hour. Sadly, I could only last an hour - the exercise proved fatiguing. 

While I found the presentation to be less than satisfactory, even with extended play-in (a week to 21 days) I would only expect them to be merely satisfactory. Hard to tell with a Fly-by. I received the Tall Bottles from musicman59 some months back. Perhaps, he could express if this pair have more in them.

I sampled a handful of tracks at different resolutions:

- "Holidays" Abraham Laboriel, Sr. 16/44.1 kHz
- "Red Clay" The Patrice Rushen Trio 24/96 kHz
- "Non-Stop to Brazil" Astrud Gilberto 16/44.1 kHz
- "Golden Girl" Al Jarreau 16/44.1 kHz
- "Sympathy For The Devil" The Rolling Stones 24/88.2 kHz
- "I Don't Want To Lose Your Love" The Emotions 16/44.1 kHz

My sweeping indictment? They lacked clarity, focus, timbre, detail and spacing. Suffered from a small presentation, sounded somewhat dull and lifeless. Try as I might, I couldn't tap my foot to any of the tracks - the pair simply could not swing. Also sounded veiled, akin to the groups playing in a small living room that has curtains separating it from the dining/kitchen area. You could still make things out, but it clearly sounds like something is in between you and the music.

None of the musicians above could save my session. I had an opportunity to see Abraham Laboriel in concert at La Ve Lee's in Studio City. He's probably got the smoothest Bass in the game. It is said that he is the most widely used session bassist of our time. Who hasn't he worked with?!

Anyway, his licks were marred; had no real definition. Piano, Bass & Drums with The Patrice Rushen Trio sound severely DULL. Astrud's feather-light vocals appeared muffled. Al Jarreau? Out of sheer respect, I feel the need to send the brother an email apologizing for the apparent lack of effort on these tube's part. Poor Mick, sounded constrained; under pressure. Lastly, The female vocal group The Emotions, backed by Earth, Wind & Fire, worked hard to save this session. If you're familiar with The Emotions and their crystal clear and honey-drenched vocals, you'd know they stood a chance! Especially with EWF's Rhythm section and sweet sounding horns... but it wasn't meant to be. 

I know things could get better with time, but I'm not that curious at this writing. Plus, I miss my newly acquired TS-BGRP's! 
wink.gif
 I'm posting a pix of both the Syl Tall Bottle and another Syl that looks like a GT style bottle on the left but no idea what it is.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #1,649 of 7,413

Quote:
Oh no good then.  Thanks.  I might get Tung Sol mouse ears next.  

I'm curious about the Tung-Sol Mouse Ears. Hope to hear them soon. And thanks for your patience. Also, I have another pair of Sylvania's - Short Base. If I recall, these and the other unidentified Syl may sound better than the 6SN7WTA's.

I have to go to bed by sunrise. But I FULLY intend to reinsert the Tung-Sol's tonight and make up for the previous exercise. 
biggrin.gif
 Oh, we're gonna swing, baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back