Sep 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:
I finally have enough money to step-up into the HIFI range. As a starter, I need general direction “where to go” with cans. I have d2k and d600 and I’m very disappointed at their performance. I have somewhat proper equipment: Ipod classic è Fiio e17 or USB è e17. All my audio files are at least 320kbps mp3 or higher quality, but my d2k is not simply meeting up to my expectations. I’m willing to spend 1k ± 100 dollars on my hifi cans.
1)      Is one grand enough for so-called hi-fi’s?
2)      Do I have proper equipment?
3)      I prob not going to audition them. Please describe the sonic qualities as detailed as possible

There's such a lack of information in this post that it'd be very difficult to help you even if people reading the thread had extensive knowledge of high end headphones. I would suggest posting in Summit-Fi if you actually want people who have the experience you're looking for. Not everyone in general has been fortunate enough to have listened to multiple pairs of hifi cans.

Things to think about answering:
What didn't you like about the D2000 and D600? What kind of experience have you had with headphones in the past that the D2000 is not living up to your expectations? What are those expectations, and what kind of sound signature do you prefer? Can you list past headphones that you have had pleasant experiences with as a reference?

1. Yes, 1 grand gets you in the gate for high end headphones. That doesn't take into account the amp or DAC or other purchases you might want to make.
2. See above. Not for high end stuff.
3. You're going to base a $1k purchase off of other peoples' opinions, each of whom have their own particular tastes that might not be similar to your own, and with subjective sonic details to boot?

In my own personal opinion, I think you're setting yourself up to be let down here. I can see the worst case scenario of someone recommending HiFiMans to you, and you trying to drive it out of your current equipment and wondering why it's so awful. 

Best of luck.  

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
I finally have enough money to step-up into the HIFI range. As a starter, I need general direction “where to go” with cans. I have d2k and d600 and I’m very disappointed at their performance. I have somewhat proper equipment: Ipod classic è Fiio e17 or USB è e17. All my audio files are at least 320kbps mp3 or higher quality, but my d2k is not simply meeting up to my expectations. I’m willing to spend 1k ± 100 dollars on my hifi cans.
1)      Is one grand enough for so-called hi-fi’s?
2)      Do I have proper equipment?
3)      I prob not going to audition them. Please describe the sonic qualities as detailed as possible

D2k is relatively easy to drive.  So an E17 is good enough.

D2Ks tend to roll off on the high end and have an overstated bass.  By your negative reaction to the D2K, I assume you are not a basshead.  Your listening preference probably inclines toward the high end and clarity...a relative weakness of the D2K.  

So that narrows the list of candidates significantly, but we on head-fi need a lot more information to make recommendations:
1) Do you like a big soundstage?
2) Do you need isolation?  i.e. do you listen around other people and/or don't want to hear the clatter around you.
3) Do you want to be in the music?  or would you rather be a few rows back?
4) To what kind of music do you listen?

If you answer just those 4 questions, we could probably reduce the list the of candidates significantly.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 14
Heya,

Try and describe what is not working for you with the Denons.

Sounds to me like you're looking to be "wow'd" but something, and likely never will be. It's probably nothing to do with the headphones, and more simply with two things: 1) the music you have and 2) your preconceived idea of what you want to hear versus what you are hearing.

So again, describe what did not work well for you with the Denons. Start with the treble, mids, bass, harmonics, tone, any coloration, comfort, style, isolation level, brightness, or anything else you can muster up.

Otherwise, don't spend $1000 on a headphone. You'll just end up with another Denon experience.

Very best,

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
First, the trebles are causing my ears to fatigue, the bass is not tight, and the overall sound sig produced by my denon is just not "right."
I use 320kbps mp3 or higher (ALAC) music files. I don't know what the problem is with my d2k, but the trebles are very sharp, almost to a point where I have to take a break from using my phones. I did consider getting mark mods, but that's additional $300. I can't justify to spend $300-500 on a sub 400 cans to make it sound OK. I would much rather spend a grand on a new setup.

Heya,

So you need a dark headphone with tight bass.

Your next headphone: Modded Mad Dog T50RP. Put in an order.

Very best,

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
First, the trebles are causing my ears to fatigue, the bass is not tight, and the overall sound sig produced by my denon is just not "right."
I use 320kbps mp3 or higher (ALAC) music files. I don't know what the problem is with my d2k, but the trebles are very sharp, almost to a point where I have to take a break from using my phones. I did consider getting mark mods, but that's additional $300. I can't justify to spend $300-500 on a sub 400 cans to make it sound OK. I would much rather spend a grand on a new setup.

There are DIY kits from L.A. for $99 that come with their earpads too, i'll likely be picking that package up soon. The denons can be sharp like you mentioned, but it shouldn't be that bad. Is the bass adequate for you in quanity quality?

Your next headphone: Modded Mad Dog T50RP. Put in an order.

I have these on order, good suggestion.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 14
Try upgrading, but not THAT big of a step... Like Mal said, the modded T50RP can seriously "wow" you, or even an inexpensive Hifiman HE-400. Get yourself some good desktop equipment as well, unless you want this as a portable setup..? But seeing how you're interested in the LCD2, I'm guessing this is for indoor use. Hearing how the treble and bass seems to be bothering you on the D2k, you should try the HE-400. The treble on these things can't possibly hurt your ears... But when I think, the D2k's treble doesn't fatigue at all for me as well... Explain in more detail please.

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
How is this compared to LCD-2s? I did some reading this morning and LCD2 are grabbing my attention.

O_O', your situation is similar to me, i have the D5k but i just couldn't tolerate their sharp treble, did my research and end up with Audeze LCD-2 without an amp ( was on a tight budget, but now i'm in the market for an amp ). You'll appreciate all the qualities the LCD-2 have, DARK sound with lots of details, and I'm pretty sure they have the Tightest bass on a headphone, the sound stage is 3D like and most of all the non-fatigue sound signature, the sound is very smooth and lush but the details aren't lost. take a look at the The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New).

you can pick one of the hifiman and save some cash but once you get the LCD-2 you'll never look back and be done with headphone upgrading and start build up your system around them .. :)

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
O_O', your situation is similar to me, i have the D5k but i just couldn't tolerate their sharp treble, did my research and end up with Audeze LCD-2 without an amp ( was on a tight budget, but now i'm in the market for an amp ). You'll appreciate all the qualities the LCD-2 have, DARK sound with lots of details, and I'm pretty sure they have the Tightest bass on a headphone, the sound stage is 3D like and most of all the non-fatigue sound signature, the sound is very smooth and lush but the details aren't lost. take a look at the The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New).

you can pick one of the hifiman and save some cash but once you get the LCD-2 you'll never look back and be done with headphone upgrading and start build up your system around them .. :)

Odd, I thought the other way around 
biggrin.gif
 once you go Hifiman, you don't go back! Naw I'm just joking, everyone has their preferences. I just prefer Hifiman Planars over Audeze personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back