Aug 7, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 27

Quote:

When will Ultrasone hire me to become part of their design team?

-Mike  

!!!!! I thought you said no more reviews ? Are you working for Ultrasone now? 

edit: Oh wait never mind 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 27
Great review, man, nonwithstanding your promise of no more reviews. 
biggrin.gif
 Indeed, the 8s are excellent for guitars. Not quite Grado, but also not that annoying Grado-effect on any other music.

JB

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #6 of 27
I made a promise to David M ( awesome dude )  that I would review them so I had to.  I also felt it was a more appropriate end to my reviewer status.  I am not working for ultrasone but I SURE DO WISH I COULD.  I am more than qualified for the job haha! 

Hope everyone enjoyed my reviews here over the years, glad I could be of some service.  Love my Edition 8s, I've never known this type of audio happiness :)

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 27
Isolation is the one thing that is trully first class :)

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #9 of 27
Excellent isolation, they create a really great yet comfortable seal over my ears.  I'd rate them 8.5/10 for isolation qualities.  When the people around me are annoyed that I cannot hear them speaking to me when I do not visually notice them, you know the set has great sound dampening qualities.  If they don't toss something at me, stand in front of me or wave their arms and hope I catch them out of the corner of my eye, I will not hear them.

Aug 7, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 27
Nice writeup.

Quote:
  It is a journey ender, nuff' said.

I'd have to agree with that statement.  I've owned a slew of closed-back headphones and have auditioned even more.  After being on the fence for so long I'm glad I finally picked a side to leap off of and dropped the coin on the Edition 8.  The Head-Fi journey was fun, but these are easily the closest to perfection I've found... closed-back or otherwise.  My search has ended barring a Palladium crossing my path at a rock-bottom price.  The Ruthenium looks much more sophisticated and far less "blingy" than I expected from pictures, but I think I'd still take the Palladium as my ideal.

Of course, if I didn't require the isolation I would have more options as there are many more top performers in the open-backs category, but that's simply not the case.  I haven't heard the LCD-2 nor the T1, (the two that I would really like to hear most) but I do firmly believe that the Edition 8 handily bests the HD800 from my audition with them.  The HD800 is highly revered and admittedly sounds great with certain types of music, but the Edition 8 simply excels with everything.  If one exclusively listens to large-ensemble classical, by all means get the HD800 as the "enhancements" in its presentation makes it come off as more impressive than the Ed8.  For me, I'd take a versatile can over one that requires certain variables be met to sound top-tier any day.

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #11 of 27
Scratch anything I said about the TTVJ slim amp, it is unusable.  The input and output jacks are on opposite sites and cause all the wires to stick out and will damage my gear without question.  I am am not sure what to do now.  Pretty much every portable amp that is "hifi" has some serious flaw in it that renders it unusable.  Back to square one for amping I guess.

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #12 of 27
Pico Slim maybe?

JB

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 27
Great review!
smile.gif
And not only are the Ed. 8s the best portable headphones I've heard, they are the best closed headphones I've heard as well. They isolate better than anything that isn't an IEM, are relatively easy to drive (but do respond to better sources/amping) and sound sonically better than any other closed headphone I've auditioned or owned.

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #14 of 27
Swbf, is there anything different from your old and new palladiums, especially in SQ?

JB

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 27
FYI there are now measurements for the ED8 at Innerfidelity and they aren't good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back