Aug 12, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #16 of 27

Quote:
FYI there are now measurements for the ED8 at Innerfidelity and they aren't good.

Measuring closed headphones is tough....no closed headphone actually looks good. But they do sound great (for closed headphones...likely the best closed headphones I've heard).

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #17 of 27
The measurements aren't too bad. Comparable to the Beyerdynamic T5p. Less ringing on the impulse response than the Beyer, but lots of bass distortion (up to 10% by 60Hz!). Both have equally spiky frequency responses and square waves, just in different ways. Ultrasone's bass frequency response is smoother but doesn't go as deep. T5p has the classic Beyer 9-10kHz treble spike that could impale an elephant. The Beyers also have better isolation.

To put it simply, it's about as well-behaved as the ED10, and that's a $2700 open can (LOL)!

For those who are interested:
ED8
T5p
ED10

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #18 of 27
It seems like the worst measurement for the Ed8s is the THD for the sub-bass. It should be a good idea to remember that closed cans have a harder time controlling the bass, inherent by their design. Sure, the LCD2 and HD800 trounce the Ed8 here, but it's like comparing apples to oranges, despite the prices.

On the other hand, Beyer's T5p puts off a good fight against the ED8s.

T5p
More treble, but apparently not the T1 way
Deeper bass
Less distorted bass
Better isolation than Ed8s (wasn't expecting this)

Ed8
More neutral sound sig
Smoother/Rounded off bass
Better Impulse response
Less ringing

It's decided that Currawong doesn't like it, while some other people do, like MacedonianHero. For people who absolutely need premier closed cans for isolation it's mainly the T5p vs the Ed8s: so pick your poison.

It's a shame the Cost/Performance ratio is so terrible for both cans.

JB

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #19 of 27

Quote:
It seems like the worst measurement for the Ed8s is the THD measurement for the sub-bass. It should be a good idea to remember that closed cans have a harder time controlling the bass, inherent by their design. Sure, the LCD2 and HD800 trounce the Ed8 here, but it's like comparing apples to oranges, despite the prices.

On the other hand, Beyer's T5p puts off a good fight against the ED8s.

T5p
More treble, but apparently not the T1 way
Deeper bass
Less distorted bass
Bettet isolation than Ed8s (wasn't expecting this)

Ed8
More neutral sound sig
Smoother/Rounded off bass
Better Impulse response
Less ringing

It's decided that Currawong doesn't like it, while some other people do, like MacedonianHero. For people who absolutely need premier closed cans for isolation it's mainly the T5p vs the Ed8s: so pick your poison.

It's a shame the Cost/Performance ratio is so terrible for both cans.

JB

I am a huge beyer T1 fan, but thought beyer missed the boat with the T5p. And yes, I do absolutely need premium closed headphones for when my out of town in-laws visit us 3 or 4 times a year.
wink_face.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #20 of 27

Quote:
Swbf, is there anything different from your old and new palladiums, especially in SQ?

JB

Actually, I did not get a new set.  I still have the set in question.  I got mine from Headphones.com and they do not want to refund me. At the time we spoke, I was ready to get a replacement set and assumed i could get a refund if I wanted.  I ended up choosing a refund instead of a replacement, but that won't happen.  I no longer wish to deal with the situation and lost the ability to enjoy my set of Edition 8s.  

I couldn't be more sad right now.

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #21 of 27
Darn, swbf, I'm sorry for ya. I wonder if you could still ask for a replacement pair instead? At least a normal pair will sell higher than a defective one.. If you decide to do so.

JB

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #22 of 27

Quote:
Darn, swbf, I'm sorry for ya. I wonder if you could still ask for a replacement pair instead? At least a normal pair will sell higher than a defective one.. If you decide to do so.

JB

Awful situation indeed. If they don't want to give a refund, then it's in his right to get a replacement pair.

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #23 of 27
I was offered a replacement set but I no longer trust it and do not want to deal with anyone regarding that anymore.  The stress involved with my order was significant and I would rather keep them and enjoy them as best I can and avoid dealing with the situation anymore.  

I am focusing on finding a proper portable amp.  The TTVJ Slim sounded great but is not at all portable due to its layout.  I am looking at the Headstage Arrow 4g but it hasn't been released yet and there hasn't been any word on it in forever, also the uha-4.  The Sr71a did almost nothing for it. I am torn between the Pico Slim and the Arrow.  But there is yet more concern because my colorfly ck4 is so darn good, I doubt any of those amps will do much for it haha! 

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #24 of 27
I thought you disliked how TTVJ Slim matched Ed. 8. BTW, how are you finding the output of the Colorfly CK4?

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #25 of 27
I said I liked the sound of the TTVJ, but not how it was designed.  It is not usable in your pocket at all.  The output of the colorfly is lacking.  Its laid back and smooth, no kick or snappy punchy sound even at max volume which is needed.  Definitely requires amping with the edition 8 but if you are using IEMs its not likely you will ever need a portable amp.  It is immensely clear and spacious sounding.  10/10 player for me and a video demo will be made soon and posted here

The sansa fuze drives the edition 8 more efficiently but nowhere near as clear and definitely not as airy and spacious sounding.  Fuze has more kick to it than the CK4.

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #27 of 27
Ok, I'm definitely surprised a Fuze has a more impactful sound than the CK4. Eager to see the video review, though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back