<$500 immersive AIRY/transparent open headphones for trance, VETERANS please help
Dec 21, 2012 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Jabse

100+ Head-Fier
I have an e17  + (z2300 amp) so I can get good volume but nothing EXTREME so it would be nice if the hp's you recommend me don't need EXTREME amping, but mention them anyway

I'll be upgrading from my current sony xb700, i like their sound signature quite a lot so i'm basically looking for a headphone with a similar sound signature to them but they must have a much more airy/transparent natural DETAILED! speaker-like sound with good mids/highs for trance, soundstage with great depth(not too wide/distant) + imaging and decent, preferably deep bass(no mid bass hum) for trance.. also it would be good if they aren't harsh/sibilant/uncomfortable, so i can happily wear them for hours without experiencing any issues

I was thinking he-400 but I don't think they're airy enough for me and from what i've read their soundstage is good but nothing amazing that will make you lose yourself in trance, which is exactly the WOW factor that i'm looking for..

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
I have an e17  + (z2300 amp) so I can get good volume but nothing EXTREME so it would be nice if the hp's you recommend me don't need EXTREME amping, but mention them anyway

I'll be upgrading from my current sony xb700, i like their sound signature quite a lot so i'm basically looking for a headphone with a similar sound signature to them but they must have a much more airy/transparent natural DETAILED! speaker-like sound with good mids/highs for trance, soundstage with great depth(not too wide/distant) + imaging and decent, preferably deep bass(no mid bass hum) for trance.. also it would be good if they aren't harsh/sibilant/uncomfortable, so i can happily wear them for hours without experiencing any issues

I was thinking he-400 but I don't think they're airy enough for me and from what i've read their soundstage is good but nothing amazing that will make you lose yourself in trance, which is exactly the WOW factor that i'm looking for..

HE-400 is most likely the headphone for you.

Coming from the XB700, virtually any open-back headphone will sound airy. The HE-400 has probably the best bass performance of any open-back headphone under $500, with decent mids / highs and a great soundstage in my opinion. I think they are comfortable to wear, just a little heavy.

Other possibilities:

DT-770
- Great in bass extension and quantity
- Not as airy / open due to closed design
- Comfortable

DT-880
- Good bass extension, but maybe too light for your tastes
- Very airy / open
- Comfortable

Q701
- Good bass extension, but maybe too light for your tastes
- Great mids / highs
- Very airy / open
- Very comfortable

MrSpeakers Mad Dog
HE-300

Haven't heard the Mad Dogs or the HE-300's, but you might look into them too.

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 13
I think the ideal for what you want would be either the Sony MDR-SA5000 or Ultrasone PRO2900, but both will be unforgiving of bad material, and may be too aggressive/bright for your tastes (I personally like both with trance (I preference the 2900), but I could see some people who are more treble sensitive having an objection to both/either). The other, more conservative option, would be either the Sennheiser HD 580/600 or the Kenwood KH-K1000 - they're both flatter and more neutral than the Sony or Ultrasone cans, but both are still fairly good with trance, and I think you would enjoy either. The Kenwood are both easier to drive and have better mids (imo); the Sennheiser probably cost less and are easier to find.

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 13
OP, you are essentially describing the HE-400s in it's entirety. Deep, flat and linear bass, clear mids with good detail, airy treble all the way up top that's non-fatiguing because of the lower-treble to upper mids dip, speaker-like soundstage. Literally every single aspect of these cans you've covered describe the HE-400. It's actually quite eery. 

Reservations about the soundstage? Grill mod. Comfort problems? Swap some pads, get a headband cushion, stretch the headband overnight. 

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 13
so i tried out a few headphones @ a local shop today... the shop was pretty noisy and i was using my mp3 + e17 via AUX (imo usb sounds better)... the he-400 sounded really alive but the soundstage of the q701 made me "wow" more.. although it sounded a bit too thin. tbh the he-400 didn't sound that airy, hell the ad700's sounded more airy, i think since my source wasn't optimal + the store was noisy that may have been why i didn't notice he-400's extras.. as it did sound a bit similar to my xb700 believe it or not (soundstage wise).. so ill probably lean towards he-400 or xb1000

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
OP, you are essentially describing the HE-400s in it's entirety. Deep, flat and linear bass, clear mids with good detail, airy treble all the way up top that's non-fatiguing because of the lower-treble to upper mids dip, speaker-like soundstage. Literally every single aspect of these cans you've covered describe the HE-400. It's actually quite eery. 

Reservations about the soundstage? Grill mod. Comfort problems? Swap some pads, get a headband cushion, stretch the headband overnight. 

how much do the velours + grill mod improve the he-400s.. specially in terms of sounstage.. since i listened to stock ones

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 13
In order of my personal preferences:

- If you can stretch you budget a bit - ATH-AD2000 (don't confuse with Denons). You'll get good bass, speed, details, and lush mids, treble has good extension but never too bright. I don't think there is anything open in this price category that can top them.
- SA5000, are probably okay but they have quite clinical tonality, details are a pinch better than AD2000 but treble is quite overcooked and they sound dry, not as pleasing as ATH.
- DT880 (go for 600Ohm) - good bass, treble is on a bright side, excellent details (less than AD2000 or SA5000), mids are recessed and could sound quite distant that will annoy you over time as force you to bump the volume which makes treble unbearable. They are also not as fast as ATH and Sony.
- K701/702 - would be my last choice, no matter what I was trying on them they still sounded "plasticky" to me. Bass is quite subdued, mids are dry and sterile and treble while gravitating toward bright side is lacking that zing accompanying brass instruments. They are the only phones in the list I couldn't live with and got rid of.

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 13
Incidentally there is ATH-AD2000 listed in For Sale section right now and within your budget asking price. I would jump on it with my eyes closed.

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 13
I never have heard the he400, but I own both xb700 and the d2000 and I think the d2000 is the closes I found with the same deep sub bass and bass extension. Of course they perform everything else better, oh of course that is with a fiio amp that has bass boost.

If you are open to on ear then you can also try the es10. You can get those from amazon. For me the d2000 fit the bill the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back