$350CAD HERUS: Asynchronous USB Audio 2.0, 24bit 352.8Ks/S, DXD and DSD64/128, 2.4VRMS Headphone DAC
Oct 29, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #46 of 326
I am interested in the following comparison. iDevice out to Herus vs HRT uStreamer vs AK10/100/120. I think this will be an interesting competition. 

AK120 got the most right, but HP out on the Herus is more powerful. Microstreamer loses to both.

My old RWAK100 (memory), the AK120, and the microstreamer have the quietest background.

Microstreamer is tilted a little warm. Herus is great but the AK120 had more detail to my ears. Recently sold the AK120, but had a couple of days side by side.

All comparisons were done with JH16fp edition with both the bass EQed down and no EQ.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #47 of 326
I just got myself the Herus. The Australian official dealer was extremely helpful and very quick to respond to my order. Thanks!!

So far, it's working brilliantly. Rock solid construction (despite the very minimalistic packaging...).

The sound is just as most people have described. The amount of 3D detail and stability of the soundstage is amazing.

The volume is a bit above 50% when used with Beyer T1 when listening to quiet classical music.
My 600 ohm DT880 needed to be cranked up a bit further (never maxed out volume) but did feel somewhat of a compression at higher volumes. Only my K340 could not be driven sufficiently even at max volume, but this is a very rare exception with insanely hard to drive headphones. It should be fine for most normal applications.

Compared to the similar USB DACs, (I had the Audioquest Dragonfly (which I sold) and Meridian Explorer), this Herus seems a little more precise and detailed, with greater 3D imaging compared to both. It is not as soft and lofty as the Meridian Explorer, and not as raw and rough as the Dragonfly. I still think Meridian Explorer is better for casual listening, especially on older recordings where noisy details should not be too revealing. Herus is more analytical and clinical, so it excelled when the source music was high quality...

I might change my mind after some more listening comparisons.

I was able to get it to do DSD playback on Foobar without much trouble, and it sounds very nice. I wish if it had some special LED colour for when doing DSD (like the Chord QuteHD) so that I am sure it is doing native DSD rather than a PCM conversion.

One huge benefit for all you head-fi people is that it takes a full size 1/4 inch headphone jack so you don't have to put up with dodgy 3.5mm adaptors like pretty much all other portable DACs. It also uses the big USB-B connector rather than Mini USB, so there are more choices for audiophile USB cables if that matters to you.

It also detected on my Xperia with the OTG cable without any additional power supply. I could play 192kHz music on Android without any issues.

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #49 of 326
Totally missed out on this thread. Subbed.

That's a beautiful cable, AnakChan. Is it from Wagnus? Or VentureCraft? I can't tell.
Ortofon :)!

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #50 of 326
  Ortofon
smily_headphones1.gif
!

Whoops. Totally missed the mark. Definitely looks beautiful, though.

Oct 31, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #54 of 326
Question for you..... I have a Classic Ipod of 160 gigs..... This Herus wouldn't useful because I can't bypass the DAC in the Ipod right ???? Or is there a way to get only the data from the Ipod (like with the Wadia I believe )

Thanks

Denys

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #55 of 326
Question for you..... I have a Classic Ipod of 160 gigs..... This Herus wouldn't useful because I can't bypass the DAC in the Ipod right ???? Or is there a way to get only the data from the Ipod (like with the Wadia I believe )

Thanks

Denys

Nope.  No power to Herus via CCK.  Message on iPod Classic says "The currently attached accessory is not supported by this iPod."  Gotta have an external device with its own power supply.

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #56 of 326
That's cool. I know of Voyage MPD but didn't know they made it for the Arm platform. I wonder if it would work with any of the Android TV sticks that run linux.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MK808-Dual-Core-Android-4-1-Jelly-Bean-TV-BOX-Rockchip-RK3066-Cortex-A9-Mini-PC-stick-307415.html
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Rikomagic-MK802IV-Android-4-2-Jelly-Bean-Mini-PC-TV-BOX-RK3188-Quad-Core-1-8Ghz-2G-8G-BT-315126.html

Those would have onboard wifi.

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #58 of 326
  Does anyone know if you can bypass the headphone amp if you want to use it with an amp/speakers?

It's a dual purpose headamp/line-out jack. Just use full scale output if that works with your external amp or speakers. Or back off the volume a bit if you need a 2.0Vrms signal, or even lower. 

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #60 of 326
Anyone tested with iOS7 lightning iPad yet. Thanks

Listening to it right now connected to iPad Air via Lightning USB Camera Connector. No drama. All fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back