$350CAD HERUS: Asynchronous USB Audio 2.0, 24bit 352.8Ks/S, DXD and DSD64/128, 2.4VRMS Headphone DAC
Jan 6, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #316 of 326
I have the plus model. And I never had this issue on iOS 9, 9.1, 9.2 on iPhone 6 and 6s.

Thank you. Turns out mine became inoperable shortly after the post. Considering the move up to the Herus Plus. Do you recommend for the iPhone 6? I loved the sound of the original, but would love to hear from an owner their impressions of the overall product. I plan on using it as a portable amp for about 1-2 hours a day.

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #320 of 326
Was doing a bit of AB test between Herus and Qutest the other day at a local retailer shop. My goodness ! I will not say that the Qutest was better than the Herus but sounded slightly different. Herus was able to hold its own with its "house sound" signature and to my ears they sounded better despite the price difference. The Herus is a dragon slayer with the right gear (I have Violectric V280 paired with it and I listen with the timeless closed Mad Dog and opened HD650). Although never had FOMO, am considering upgrading from it to perhaps Violectric V850/Lake People RS06 in near term. That said, Herus is a rare gem with a budget price. For those that have yet to hear it, should at least give your ears the chance to hear it once.

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #321 of 326
I recently acquired one of these at a discount and the sound is amazing compared to the computer builtin analog port. However, there is significant background noise in both channels almost every time I plug it in. Is there anything I can do about this? Firmware upgrade? Debugging kit? Is the unit broken? I read somewhere that it uses a Thesycon USB interface. Are there any diagnostic tools for those?

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #322 of 326
Anyone using this with iPhone 6 on iOS 9.1?

I am not sure when this happen but I am now unable to play dsd direct from my iPhone 6s on iOS 9.1 using onkyo player. I get a loud hissing sound that drowns out the music. The music is playing softly in the background of the loud hiss. It was playing fine on iOS 9 with my old iPhone 6. So I am not sure if it's a phone issue or a iOS problem or both. Anyone encountering this problem?
Yes, I think this is happening on mine as well. A loud hissing/crackling sound in both channels, that is irrespective of the volume. I am using linux computers/phones (android) but I doubt the host platform will have much effect on the internal workings of the unit near the analog side.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #324 of 326
Is the headphone plug fully seated, and if so, does the noise change/come and go if you wiggle the plug around in the Herus' 1/4" jack?

Are you using a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter and if so has that gone fudgy?
Yes, the plug is fully seated in the jack and I also have an adapter with an 1/8" jack to the phones, also fully seated. If I turn or torque the smaller one it crackles a little more. The Herus 1/4" jack has sturdy contact springs, so I'm sure it's not that. Also I have tried multiple adapters.

It worked long enough to blow my mind and now I can't plug back into the computer dock analog out ever again. :frowning2: Everything else is so expensive now.

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #325 of 326
Yes, the plug is fully seated in the jack and I also have an adapter with an 1/8" jack to the phones, also fully seated. If I turn or torque the smaller one it crackles a little more. The Herus 1/4" jack has sturdy contact springs, so I'm sure it's not that. Also I have tried multiple adapters.

It worked long enough to blow my mind and now I can't plug back into the computer dock analog out ever again. :frowning2: Everything else is so expensive now.
Did you change which USB port was in use on the computer? Especially with laptops, often there is only one "high powered" port that can actually deliver the USB 2.0 spec of 500mA current, the others are often really weak, and that can cause pops and crackling and the like.

So if you are using a laptop, make sure it is the one "charging" or high powered USB port you are connecting the Herus to, and in any event, if you have a powered USB hub you can also give that a shot to see if it solves the issue.

The last thing to check is if unplugging other USB devices eliminates that problem, and that can be a power issue with the motherboard unable to easily power everything including the DAC, or it can be an interference issue too. Some USB mouses or keyboards are actually quite noisy on the USB bus, and if you unplug them the noise will sometimes magically vanish.

If however you are saying this exact same issue occurs using either a computer, or an Android phone, then that DAC might have developed a fault.

Dec 5, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #326 of 326
caught this pokemon herus+, the sound is wow!
AF940EE4-D8A4-482D-A692-5BA312CB33C8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back