2359glenn | studio
Aug 2, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #37,186 of 39,994
I have kept these AnM 6J7Gs in the amp since arrival. Today, I added this 1947 Fivre 6N7G to the mix. It was a bit noisy, so I took it out and re-cleaned the pins, then took the soldering iron and a touch of fresh solder to the pins. GEC 6080s driving.

Inspired by @Karnicopia's Fivres comment & recalling, I believe it was @JazzVinyl who really liked the 6J7+6N7 combo, I thought to give it a go. Right now, the combo is rocking good! I think they compliment one another nicely.

I think I may have quieted a somewhat noisy 6N7G, but not clear yet if I have silenced it... More on that front soon. If it is not silent, I may try to clean out the old solder from the pins more thoroughly and add fully fresh solder.

20200802_125924.jpg

Listening to this at the moment:

I think it says quite a bit about those AnM 6J7G's that you made it this long using them without anything in the SN7 slot.

And as you mentioned, it was @JazzVinyl that told me about the 6J7 and 6N7 combination. Up until recently, I had really only spent time using 6J7's with a single 6N7. Briefly had a pair of 6J5's with a pair of 6J7's, and for some reason didn't like that dual-dual combination. I don't know why that was, something about it wasn't working for me at that point, and I described the sound as confusing. But either that specific combination wasn't good or maybe I'm just older now (I won't claim to be wiser) because I've had dual 6J7's with dual 12J5's running for almost 2 weeks now and it's working. Great tone, good space, definitely has a "fun" element to it. This is with dual 6080's, (Sylvania). The 12J5's are glass RCA and the 6J7's are metal RCA. This combo works with both Aeolus and the HD650.

Soon I'll have a few more pairs of 6J7's from different manufacturers, so will see how this dual 6J5-dual 6J7 combination holds up.

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #37,187 of 39,994
I am now looking at 6J7s myself, and a few other near equivalents. I will have to comb the thread and see which are getting the most favorable reviews, I wonder if the same impressions hold up while run as pentodes :thinking:

Here is an article I came across, "The 6J7 Fraternity", it goes over the history and development of the 6J7 and its variants. The 6C6 is an interesting alternative with a 6-pin base.

https://nzvrshome.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/the-6j7-fraternity.pdf

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #37,188 of 39,994
I am now looking at 6J7s myself, and a few other near equivalents. I will have to comb the thread and see which are getting the most favorable reviews, I wonder if the same impressions hold up while run as pentodes :thinking:

Here is an article I came across, "The 6J7 Fraternity", it goes over the history and development of the 6J7 and its variants. The 6C6 is an interesting alternative with a 6-pin base.

That's a great article. I like the title of Figure 2 "Brothers under the glass" :) .

There are also the Visseaux 6J7MG that @chrisdrop posted about recently (a few pages back), and these don't look like any of the others in the photos. The metal shape is different.

These are the 6J7's I've been using lately with the cool eagle logo, they look like the left-most ones in Figure 3:

IMG_2920.JPG

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #37,189 of 39,994
That's a great article. I like the title of Figure 2 "Brothers under the glass" :) .

There are also the Visseaux 6J7MG that @chrisdrop posted about recently (a few pages back), and these don't look like any of the others in the photos. The metal shape is different.

These are the 6J7's I've been using lately with the cool eagle logo, they look like the left-most ones in Figure 3:

The Visseaux 6J7MG are very similar in external construction to the 6J5MG that I own, that construction is specific to French-made Visseaux / Philips / Neotron, I think I will give them a go at some point. The metallized 6J7 seem easy to find, maybe I will try them first, thanks! Ordering some 6C6 as well.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #37,190 of 39,994

For a while I was running EL32 with adapters in the C3g sockets and I discovered that the 6J7 had the same pinout and ordered some. I like the 6C5 metal tubes and the 6J7 is supposed to be the "donor" to the 6C5 that uses parts of the 6J7. Being all metal with an anode cap there is practically no demand for these tubes and they are priced accordingly.
Have tried GE, Raytheon, Sylvania, and RCA with the nod going to the RCAs - YMMV.
You may want to take a look at the EL32 straight glass tubes - extremely well built and very inexpensive but I prefer the 6J7.

Aug 2, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #37,191 of 39,994
For a while I was running EL32 with adapters in the C3g sockets and I discovered that the 6J7 had the same pinout and ordered some. I like the 6C5 metal tubes and the 6J7 is supposed to be the "donor" to the 6C5 that uses parts of the 6J7. Being all metal with an anode cap there is practically no demand for these tubes and they are priced accordingly.
Have tried GE, Raytheon, Sylvania, and RCA with the nod going to the RCAs - YMMV.
You may want to take a look at the EL32 straight glass tubes - extremely well built and very inexpensive but I prefer the 6J7.

Thanks, mordy, maybe I will try the RCAs. I did own the EL32 for a time when I had the GOTL, they are nice sounding tubes and they are dirt cheap. However, they are an output pentode so a bit aggressive for my use case! I do wonder how they would sound in a dedicated amplifier as an output tube...too many tubes to try, not enough time. I might grab another pair though and experiment with them.

Aug 2, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #37,192 of 39,994
Great article from down under! And here is the story I mentioned above about the connection of the 6C5 and 6J7:
1596385146881.png

I should also add that the Visseaux metal MG tubes are in reality glass tubes with a metal cover - same idea as the later C3g tubes.
In the all metal 6C5/6J5 etc family the only glass found is a disc on the bottom that holds the pins. At one point it was felt that all glass tubes were cheaper to produce and the all metal tubes fell into disuse. On the other hand you can find date codes on the metal tubes from the late 30's all the way into the 70's.

Aug 2, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #37,193 of 39,994
I have kept these AnM 6J7Gs in the amp since arrival. Today, I added this 1947 Fivre 6N7G to the mix. It was a bit noisy, so I took it out and re-cleaned the pins, then took the soldering iron and a touch of fresh solder to the pins. GEC 6080s driving.

Inspired by @Karnicopia's Fivres comment & recalling, I believe it was @JazzVinyl who really liked the 6J7+6N7 combo, I thought to give it a go. Right now, the combo is rocking good! I think they compliment one another nicely.

I think I may have quieted a somewhat noisy 6N7G, but not clear yet if I have silenced it... More on that front soon. If it is not silent, I may try to clean out the old solder from the pins more thoroughly and add fully fresh solder.

20200802_125924.jpg

Listening to this at the moment:

In other news, regarding that Fivre 6N7G (which incidentally has a 1942 tax stamp on it, not 1947 as mentioned earlier); sadly, my first round of efforts were inadequate at quieting it sufficiently. It does sound nice with the 2x 6J7Gs while music is playing, but you can pick up on the noise clearly when it is solo especially. Next, I'll try to do something more like this.

Aug 3, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #37,194 of 39,994
@2359glenn I finally got my hands on one of the very rare 4V 1A tubes I have been hunting, with no coating just how you like, British Mazda AC/HL. These will be driver tubes in my 6A5G amplifier. Who knows when I will get them from overseas, can't wait to listen :)

s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg

Beautiful tubes look like the E424s but the E424s have round plates.

Going to get a direct hit from the hurricane tomorrow morning.
Hooked up the generator and filled it with gas yesterday. Maybe get a day off work?

Aug 3, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #37,195 of 39,994
Hope things are going well for you Glenn.

Hopefully you will not need to use the generator :slight_smile:

Aug 3, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #37,196 of 39,994

Hooked up the generator and filled it with gas yesterday. Maybe get a day off work?
Glad to "see" you Glenn. Hope you are staying well.

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #37,197 of 39,994

I should hope you get the day off, Glenn! Yes, they are pretty tubes, should have them soon, but I am in the process of tearing apart that amp, making some changes and powder coating the chassis, so they will not get any listening time until it is put back together.

I should probably post these on my DIY thread, but since people are trying out pentodes in the GOTL, I will post them here :) these are the tubes I will be using with NFB in my 801A A2 amplifier, Mullard EF37A. One doesn't seem to test very well, but I got 'em cheap, have some others on the way that are well-matched, just need one for testing purposes! Should get to it Thursday. These are similar to the 6J7G but can take a higher B+ and screen supply, up to 550V.

IMAG2411.jpg

Aug 5, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #37,199 of 39,994
I should hope you get the day off, Glenn! Yes, they are pretty tubes, should have them soon, but I am in the process of tearing apart that amp, making some changes and powder coating the chassis, so they will not get any listening time until it is put back together.

I should probably post these on my DIY thread, but since people are trying out pentodes in the GOTL, I will post them here :) these are the tubes I will be using with NFB in my 801A A2 amplifier, Mullard EF37A. One doesn't seem to test very well, but I got 'em cheap, have some others on the way that are well-matched, just need one for testing purposes! Should get to it Thursday. These are similar to the 6J7G but can take a higher B+ and screen supply, up to 550V.

IMAG2411.jpg

Look like nice tubes and 6J7s sound good the predecessor to the 6SJ7.

Instead of getting the day off we got to work 18hrs. Power went off at 12:04am 12:10am cat a call the fire department was there had to let them in or they will knock the doors down.
Had to fix circuit boards that got wet and called the fire department. Power came back on at 10:00am had to stay to 6:00pm to make up the work.
Still tired,

Aug 5, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #37,200 of 39,994
Look like nice tubes and 6J7s sound good the predecessor to the 6SJ7.

Instead of getting the day off we got to work 18hrs. Power went off at 12:04am 12:10am cat a call the fire department was there had to let them in or they will knock the doors down.
Had to fix circuit boards that got wet and called the fire department. Power came back on at 10:00am had to stay to 6:00pm to make up the work.
Still tired,

That is nuts Glenn, sorry for the long hours, I hope they will compensate you for the extra time. Sounds like you are keeping that building upright, literally! Maybe already time to ask for a raise...just returned from a harrowing night shift myself. COVID has made healthcare 10x more fun, I tell you what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back