2359glenn | studio
Jul 31, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #37,171 of 39,998
I think Zachik's resistive dummy plug kind of solves both problems in that you don't have a open circuit when you power up the amp but you also aren't risking your headphones.
All I can say is the 1/4" dummy load plug (courtesy of @chrisdrop for the professional looking execution!!) never left my GOTL since I got it :L3000:
No idea whether or not it helps extend the life of the amp / transformer (@2359glenn can comment on that theory), but it made a huge impact on lowering the noise floor!

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #37,172 of 39,998
If you want to have a set of headphones plugged in when you turn on the amp, you could use an inexpensive set such as what they give away on the airlines or similar.
IMHO it is always a good idea to first use a sacrificial set when starting a listening session - if something goes wrong and you blow an expensive driver it is very unpleasant on many levels.....

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #37,173 of 39,998
Maybe a silly question: Why not combine the quiet tubes from each pair?
I have 2 matched pairs. I have used the quiet one from each. Probably psychosomatic, but I prefer one of the matched pairs, as long as I keep the occasional hum tame. I am not really so up on how/why the matched pairs are "better" (channel balance?), so I do assume it is just something I made up one day !

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #37,174 of 39,998
If you want to have a set of headphones plugged in when you turn on the amp, you could use an inexpensive set such as what they give away on the airlines or similar.
IMHO it is always a good idea to first use a sacrificial set when starting a listening session - if something goes wrong and you blow an expensive driver it is very unpleasant on many levels.....

I don't ever have headphones plugged in when I turn on or off the amp, not even sacrificial ones. I only use sacrificial headphones when doing something new, like using a new tube. But how critical is it to get headphones plugged in asap after turning on? In other words, should they be plugged in asap to present a load to the amplifier quickly after startup?

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #37,179 of 39,998
Has anybody heard from Glenn recently? His last post was a month ago. Starting to become a little worried.

Same here, he has not been very active in this thread, but I am assuming he is being bombarded at his new job, plus everyday life things after the the big move.

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #37,180 of 39,998
You sound like you are worried for someone. He must mean alot to you
I have semi-jokingly referred to this thread as "Glenn's fan club"... I think I speak on behalf of anyone that ever dealt with Glenn and/or bought an amp from him:
Glenn is a great guy and an artist amp designer and builder! We all love him, and his invaluable contribution to this Head-Fi community.

So... yes, he means a lot to many of us! :)

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #37,181 of 39,998
Also got a reply from him this week. As has been mentioned before here, he moved and started a new job right away and has needed time to create his new set up.

Aug 1, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #37,182 of 39,998
I have semi-jokingly referred to this thread as "Glenn's fan club"... I think I speak on behalf of anyone that ever dealt with Glenn and/or bought an amp from him:
Glenn is a great guy and an artist amp designer and builder! We all love him, and his invaluable contribution to this Head-Fi community.

So... yes, he means a lot to many of us! :)
I wish I mean alot to many of you people as well. Am not sure if he mean alot to me. I hope so

Aug 1, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #37,183 of 39,998
I did get a message back from Glenn the other day this week. Don't want to speak for him but he seems to be very busy at his new job.

Glad that he messaged you, I guess he’s still too busy at his new work place. We all are little concerned about him when his last post was about a month ago. I hope he’s well and safe.

Aug 1, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #37,184 of 39,998
I was just thinking it was a while since I saw anything from Glenn so I'm glad to hear that he's doing well. I've been waiting to see if the high end on the Fivre 6j5's starts to bother me over time but I am really loving this combination with the Bendix 6080 I think it's my favorite sounding combination of tubes. It adds just the right amount to the high end that makes things sound livelier and engaging and I'm really enjoying them and it's sounding like the right balance to me with this setup and headphones. We'll see what happens when I switch back to the gec but so far the Fivre's are sounding great to me. I'm really enjoying this album in particular.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #37,185 of 39,998
I have kept these AnM 6J7Gs in the amp since arrival. Today, I added this 1947 Fivre 6N7G to the mix. It was a bit noisy, so I took it out and re-cleaned the pins, then took the soldering iron and a touch of fresh solder to the pins. GEC 6080s driving.

Inspired by @Karnicopia's Fivres comment & recalling, I believe it was @JazzVinyl who really liked the 6J7+6N7 combo, I thought to give it a go. Right now, the combo is rocking good! I think they compliment one another nicely.

I think I may have quieted a somewhat noisy 6N7G, but not clear yet if I have silenced it... More on that front soon. If it is not silent, I may try to clean out the old solder from the pins more thoroughly and add fully fresh solder.

20200802_125924.jpg

Listening to this at the moment:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back