2359glenn | studio
May 18, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #36,616 of 39,983
This is far from civilization there is a cotton field across the street. I just am in a cluster of houses all hooked to one transformer.
If this was the city I wouldn't be here I like small towns were most people are friendly.
I don't need other peoples noise. Heck I didn't even use LED bulbs because they produce noise.
Ugh - power noise! You know I had much pain with this. I am very glad to hear that you are in your new situation. May you settle well and quickly Glenn. I hope new work is good and that you get some peace and relaxation eventually.

May 18, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #36,617 of 39,983
I have a 2KV that I used to have the swimming pool filter plugged into for safety. I think I will use it again.
Won't help for power drops. Ether a power regenerater or make the amps with oversized filter capacitors with regulated B+.
My headphone OTL has two 4700uf filters might be enough for the power drops.
The power here sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I used to have such issue at country side.
RFI Filter, DC Filter, isolation transformer protect you against noise and also will help on voltage drop if you have "Big" capacitor (4x10K) in the DC parts but this will not helps if you have huge drop. The only way here is to have inverter with a good battery set !

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #36,618 of 39,983
I know the members of this thread appreciate a good tube picture, here is the Visseaux 6A5G with the MOV U18/20 in the back. So purdy, so glowy.

DSCF5649-2.jpg

Dang that is a nice fluorescence effect that tube has going on. Have you watched it closely when there is music playing? Sometimes the blue will move around in swirling patterns to the music.

May 18, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #36,619 of 39,983
Dang that is a nice fluorescence effect that tube has going on. Have you watched it closely when there is music playing? Sometimes the blue will move around in swirling patterns to the music.

Isn't it? Pretty nice looking :) it was funny, they were glowing very brightly earlier in the day, I turned the amp off and swapped the two so I could get a good picture of the brighter one (better position for my camera), and it went away when I turned it back on HA! Luckily it came back later in the day, at the time the photo was taken, part of it was sort of blinking, but I didn't see if it was in time with the music, I'll look today.

May 19, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #36,620 of 39,983
Impressions on the new valves ASAP :wink:. I enthusiastically popped the Fivres in yesterday - but only for a bit. Given what I thought of as "questionable provenance" of the Fivres and their "used" status, I gave them an hour to warm, then around an hour on the sacrificial headphones. I was able to say "quiet" and a quick listen on my normal headphones said; "probably very nice".

I then realised I had just a few hours before swapped in Mullard EL32 shoulder-types seen in the C3g slots pictured below. They are new and sound like they need time to burn in. I have had my "go-to" GEC 6J5 inputs w/ the EL32 straight tubes (postal tubes like JV has). I think that is my most reliable, often returned to configuration. I want to get the shoulder-type Mullards burned in, and to isolate the effect of just changing those tubes. Therefore, I put the setup back as pictured. I'll let the EL32s pictured go for a week of many hours/day use. THEN I'll come back to the Fivres.

20200517_082015.jpg

I am hoping the Mullard EL32s do burn in. So far, I have not had the patience to really let the Marconi straight glass EL32s or these Mullard shoulder types really burn in because the straight postal tubes are fully settled and sound so nice in this setup! I think the EL32s run pretty cool, so it may take a while...

Here are the "GPO" postal Mullard EL32s that have maintained their position int he amp for a while now...

20200517_083631.jpg

I have been googling a bit to decipher the codes on these. General info on these tubes labelled CV 1052

It looks like:
  • CV = Valves used by the British military Armed Services were marked with a CV or "common valve" name which was defined by the Inter-Service Technical Valve Committee in 1941
  • KB/DA (via this link)
    • K = designates a valve manufactured to specification K1001 or K1006;
    • B = denotes qualification by a UK authority
    • DA = Mullard Radio Valve Co., Blackburn
How about the printed values visible on the left tube? These look like "MO 2" and "39 C2". Both tubes have the same markings. Not sure how to date them from this? Also, what is the "6914 with the up arrow looking thing" visible on the right tube? All fascinating!

Happy listening all.
I still find tube burn-in fascinating. At first, I struggled to keep the Mullard EL32 shoulders in (NOS 0hrs). They had some sort of subtle grit going and seemed to just remove what the other EL32s had added. Somewhere around ~25h of use and they started to change and relax. It is not subtle. They are enjoyable now putting back some nice space in the mids/uppers and roundness/control in the lower end. I suspect they will keep changing. I am glad I persisted. I have had the amp on for ~14h/ day every day, listening for a good portion of that on many days. After a week I should get to 100h or so and we'll see where they wind up. It is possible I guess they may take even longer to get to their final state as cooler running valves?

Relatedly, I think the GEC 6J5s in those pictures did take probably 150-200h to get to their final state I think. I need to keep working on my patience, thus the "1 week per roll" rule I have been trying to apply!

May 19, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #36,621 of 39,983
There are no hard and fast rules but it seems to me that cool running tubes need more time to burn in.
Some tubes change a little during burn in, and with others there is a very marked change. It also seems to me that the changes, when they happen, are by leaps and not gradual steps.
Suddenly you realize: hey, what was that? Where did all that bass come from?
I do not need any convincing that burn in is real, but there are people who deny that there is any change and attribute it to your brain getting used to a certain sound.
My personal opinion is that burn in is real, but my brain also need time to adjust to a new sound picture and fully understand what you are hearing.
One consequence is that I am reluctant to give instant opinions on how certain tube combinations sound. Sometimes an initial positive impression changes to a “me too”, and sometimes it gets reinforced over time.
By me there is definitely a subconscious component in appreciating how something sounds, and it takes me time to bring it into my conscious mind.
Didn’t realize how philosophical I would be this morning.....

May 19, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #36,622 of 39,983
There are no hard and fast rules but it seems to me that cool running tubes need more time to burn in.
Some tubes change a little during burn in, and with others there is a very marked change. It also seems to me that the changes, when they happen, are by leaps and not gradual steps.
Suddenly you realize: hey, what was that? Where did all that bass come from?
I do not need any convincing that burn in is real, but there are people who deny that there is any change and attribute it to your brain getting used to a certain sound.
My personal opinion is that burn in is real, but my brain also need time to adjust to a new sound picture and fully understand what you are hearing.
One consequence is that I am reluctant to give instant opinions on how certain tube combinations sound. Sometimes an initial positive impression changes to a “me too”, and sometimes it gets reinforced over time.
By me there is definitely a subconscious component in appreciating how something sounds, and it takes me time to bring it into my conscious mind.
Didn’t realize how philosophical I would be this morning.....

The older the tube it takes more time to wake up and sound it's best.

May 19, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #36,623 of 39,983
May 20, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #36,626 of 39,983
Since you brought up these tubes DL, I spotted the pair I own in the "6J5 drawer" and decided to give them a listen. I think you will be very happy with them :)

DSCF5613-2.jpg

One interesting observation I've made: tube hierarchies I created in my mind based on listening impressions in the GOTL have fallen apart with a CCS load applied. This goes for both 6J5 and MH4-family tubes. The CCS is something of an equalizer, bringing all tubes closer together in performance, but accentuating different characteristics. The differences are still there, but the timbres have changed. A top tube in the GOTL might be taken down a peg or two in favor of those that were further down the ladder before. It has been a fun experience re-listening to them all.

Glenn often uses CCS loads in his SET amps, so maybe others will have a similar experience!
Hi,
I’m thinking about getting a Glenn and just getting my head around the entire endeavour. Is the amp pictured here a Glenn? I really like the proportions and look, but it appears different to all the other ones I’ve seen.
JDL

May 20, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #36,627 of 39,983
Hi,
I’m thinking about getting a Glenn and just getting my head around the entire endeavour. Is the amp pictured here a Glenn? I really like the proportions and look, but it appears different to all the other ones I’ve seen.
JDL
That is not a Glenn amp, although I am sure he helped talk to the maker.
The maker/ thread of interest is here. @L0rdGwyn does make a pretty amp.

I think I have the only Glenn amp in the London area :) Notwithstanding Covid-etc a listen would perhaps be in order.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #36,628 of 39,983
Hi,
JDL

Sorry, I will stop posting amp pictures here, I didn't mean to confuse! If you PM Glenn you could discuss an amp build based on the 45.

May 20, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #36,629 of 39,983
Burn in.
Amd yes some tubes take 1/2 hr to sound there best.
Question to the tube experts regarding burn in:
Say I burn in a tube fully (200 hours or whatever), and not use it for 5 years. Would I need to burn in again (maybe a shorter burn-in), or would the changes that happen during burn-in remain for good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back