2359glenn | studio
May 17, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #36,601 of 39,986
Impressions on the new valves ASAP :wink:. I enthusiastically popped the Fivres in yesterday - but only for a bit. Given what I thought of as "questionable provenance" of the Fivres and their "used" status, I gave them an hour to warm, then around an hour on the sacrificial headphones. I was able to say "quiet" and a quick listen on my normal headphones said; "probably very nice".

I then realised I had just a few hours before swapped in Mullard EL32 shoulder-types seen in the C3g slots pictured below. They are new and sound like they need time to burn in. I have had my "go-to" GEC 6J5 inputs w/ the EL32 straight tubes (postal tubes like JV has). I think that is my most reliable, often returned to configuration. I want to get the shoulder-type Mullards burned in, and to isolate the effect of just changing those tubes. Therefore, I put the setup back as pictured. I'll let the EL32s pictured go for a week of many hours/day use. THEN I'll come back to the Fivres.

20200517_082015.jpg

I am hoping the Mullard EL32s do burn in. So far, I have not had the patience to really let the Marconi straight glass EL32s or these Mullard shoulder types really burn in because the straight postal tubes are fully settled and sound so nice in this setup! I think the EL32s run pretty cool, so it may take a while...

Here are the "GPO" postal Mullard EL32s that have maintained their position int he amp for a while now...

20200517_083631.jpg

I have been googling a bit to decipher the codes on these. General info on these tubes labelled CV 1052

It looks like:
  • CV = Valves used by the British military Armed Services were marked with a CV or "common valve" name which was defined by the Inter-Service Technical Valve Committee in 1941
  • KB/DA (via this link)
    • K = designates a valve manufactured to specification K1001 or K1006;
    • B = denotes qualification by a UK authority
    • DA = Mullard Radio Valve Co., Blackburn
How about the printed values visible on the left tube? These look like "MO 2" and "39 C2". Both tubes have the same markings. Not sure how to date them from this? Also, what is the "6914 with the up arrow looking thing" visible on the right tube? All fascinating!

Happy listening all.

The top row of characters: M0 = EL32 and 2 = revision code.
When a tube was first introduced, the revision code was "0". So in this case, "2" indicates that this was the second major revision.

And yes, as Mordy points out, "39C2" is actually "B9C2". :)

May 17, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #36,602 of 39,986
Quick question for the tube experts and historians... Tubes labeled K-R are KenRad. Right? Example:

1589734553156.png

What is the difference from tubes labeled KenRad? Different time period? (or is the K-R fakes / relabeled???)

May 17, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #36,603 of 39,986
K-R is Ken-Rad (Kentucky Radio). The manufacturer was bought by GE in 1945 but the Ken-Rad name lasted into 1952.
What is the date code on the tube? (May also be something engraved on the bottom rim)
I have never heard of any K-R fakes - not worth the effort. Most fakes are the 6AS7 variety where famous names were put on Russian tubes.

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #36,604 of 39,986
K-R is Ken-Rad (Kentucky Radio). The manufacturer was bought by GE in 1945 but the Ken-Rad name lasted into 1952.
What is the date code on the tube? (May also be something engraved on the bottom rim)
I have never heard of any K-R fakes - not worth the effort. Most fakes are the 6AS7 variety where famous names were put on Russian tubes.
Thanks mordy!!
Cannot see a date code... see: https://www.ebay.com/itm/K-R-Tubes-Electron-Radio-Tube-P-N-6J5-NEW-Free-Shipping/264717736509
I bought a couple from this listing, but did so this morning (do not have them in hand yet) :wink:

May 17, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #36,605 of 39,986
Hi All
I have finally gotten internet !!!!
went back north yesterday to get more of our stuff. What a pain to move.
Going back next weekend for more.
One thing I am not used to living in town the power is horrible. There are 6 houses hooked to the same transformer that I am on.
the lights are always flickering when big central air units come on. I am used to a transformer just hooked to my house no noise or crap from the neighbors.
At some point will have to build myself new amps with built in voltage regulators.

May 17, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #36,606 of 39,986
One thing I am not used to living in town the power is horrible. There are 6 houses hooked to the same transformer that I am on.
the lights are always flickering when big central air units come on. I am used to a transformer just hooked to my house no noise or crap from the neighbors.
Welcome to civilization, my friend! :wink:

May 17, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #36,607 of 39,986
Hi All
At some point will have to build myself new amps with built in voltage regulators.

Glenn - one thing you can do, get a Topaz transformer like you used to have for your pool. I have one, it is a monster, 2.5kVA and weighs 60lbs. I have it wired for balanced power, +/- 60V for my whole stereo. My wall power is absolute garbage, but it made a big difference, obvious improvement in sound.

It hides its ugly face in the corner behind an armchair.

IMAG2094.jpg

May 17, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #36,608 of 39,986
Glenn - one thing you can do, get a Topaz transformer like you used to have for your pool. I have one, it is a monster, 2.5kVA and weighs 60lbs. I have it wired for balanced power, +/- 60V for my whole stereo. My wall power is absolute garbage, but it made a big difference, obvious improvement in sound.

It hides its ugly face in the corner behind an armchair.

IMAG2094.jpg

I have a 2KV that I used to have the swimming pool filter plugged into for safety. I think I will use it again.
Won't help for power drops. Ether a power regenerater or make the amps with oversized filter capacitors with regulated B+.
My headphone OTL has two 4700uf filters might be enough for the power drops.
The power here sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 17, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #36,609 of 39,986
Welcome to civilization, my friend! :wink:

This is far from civilization there is a cotton field across the street. I just am in a cluster of houses all hooked to one transformer.
If this was the city I wouldn't be here I like small towns were most people are friendly.
I don't need other peoples noise. Heck I didn't even use LED bulbs because they produce noise.

May 17, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #36,610 of 39,986
Hi All
Progress at least, this too shall pass..

May 17, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #36,611 of 39,986
This is far from civilization there is a cotton field across the street. I just am in a cluster of houses all hooked to one transformer.
Everything is relative... :wink:
I live in a downtown, and my development has 200-300 units or so spread between 4 physical building at 6 story high each. No idea how good or bad the power is regulated, but obviously shared between many units.

May 17, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #36,612 of 39,986
I know the members of this thread appreciate a good tube picture, here is the Visseaux 6A5G with the MOV U18/20 in the back. So purdy, so glowy.

DSCF5649-2.jpg

May 17, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #36,614 of 39,986
I highly recommend: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G05A2MU/
At lowest speed, I cannot hear it, and it is VERY effective in keeping the amp nice and cool.
With headphones on, I cannot hear it at higher speeds - but honestly lowest speed is already VERY effective!
Yep works great. I have 4 of the larger ones on top of my power chassis. Really good for the summer. Thanks. Even on medium speed I would say these fans are very quiet - certainly not at a level you'll hear through headphones even from 3 feet away.

May 18, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #36,615 of 39,986
Hi All

It sucks to move houses. I moved between 4 houses in two years all in a different city/town back in 2013-2015. More headache if they told me there’s no port for high speed broadband access in the area of my house anymore, and had to wait for months just to get a stable internet.

Glad to hear you are finally settling in, wish you all the best, Glenn!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back