2359glenn | studio
May 20, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #36,632 of 39,986
Question to the tube experts regarding burn in:
Say I burn in a tube fully (200 hours or whatever), and not use it for 5 years. Would I need to burn in again (maybe a shorter burn-in), or would the changes that happen during burn-in remain for good?

A known phenomenon for brand new tubes is their emission strength improving over the first 50-100 hours of use. At this point it peaks and begins a very slow gradual decline over the life of the tube. There are multiple things going on that cause the sound to change in the beginning but I believe this is one of the more significant ones. I do think tubes that have been sitting for a while need a sort of "mini break-in" to get back in their groove, and I suspect one reason why relates to getter activity. The getter works to maintain the integrity of the vacuum inside the glass, and when a tube isn't used for a long time a very tiny amount of air does creep in over time. So when you fire that tube back up for the first time in a while in those first few hours it is working on improving its own vaccum and this has an effect on the tube's operation.

May 20, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #36,633 of 39,986
That is not a Glenn amp, although I am sure he helped talk to the maker.
The maker/ thread of interest is here. @L0rdGwyn does make a pretty amp.

I think I have the only Glenn amp in the London area :) Notwithstanding Covid-etc a listen would perhaps be in order.
Thanks for replying and putting me straight. This thread is so massive it’s hard not to get confused. It would be great to hear it once the plague has gone!

May 20, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #36,634 of 39,986
61% is probably good enough for use for a while. And 61% tested on an Amplitrex is like 70% or higher on a bunch of other older testers.

May 20, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #36,635 of 39,986
Sorry, I will stop posting amp pictures here, I didn't mean to confuse! If you PM Glenn you could discuss an amp build based on the 45.
Well if you hadn’t posted the picture I would never have known that Glenn may be amenable to a chassis change! So thanks from me. It’s not just the design actually, but yours look less deep and I’ve got a space issue if I want this sitting next to my turntable. I’ll contact Glenn and see what’s possible.

May 20, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #36,636 of 39,986
May 20, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #36,639 of 39,986
How does the GEC 6AS7G compare to some of the other now-famous power tubes, such as the Bendix 6080WB or WE 421a?

For me personally, I would rank them WE421A > GEC 6AS7G > Bendix 6080WB. I tend to prioritize airiness, space, separation, and soundstage in my listening, and that is how I feel they stack up in that regard. From this family, I always felt the 5998 / 421A were the best performers (on equal footing with the Tung-Sol 7802 if you can find them). YMMV of course!

May 20, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #36,640 of 39,986
(on equal footing with the Tung-Sol 7802 if you can find them).
giphy.gif

May 23, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #36,642 of 39,986
Mullard EL32 Comparison Update...

All comments whilst accompanying the indomitable GEC 6J5s & Bendix 6080s

After a few weeks w/ GT EL32s, last week I swapped to shoulder-type EL32s. I have now had them on for almost 100h, trying to keep my minimum-week-long-roll. As mentioned earlier, they did change earlier this week, in a good way.

My take on the difference between the two: shoulder-types; lower mids enhancement and a slightly "drier" tone, GTs; upper mids enhancement. Where "enhancement" = some more space and tonal emphasis in that range. I can't say I prefer either but bother are enjoyable.

Finally, I think it took a very long time for the GEC 6J5s to "unfold". Perhaps up to just shy of 200h I thought they were slightly bass-light. It must have been near to that point that they had a change where they just sort of opened up/filled out tonally. Presently, I would never accuse them of having anything lacking! They are amazingly clear overall.

Anyhow, I will keep the EL32 shoulder-types in place and rotate in the Fivre 6J5s for this next weeks roll. I am hoping I can cope without the GECs!

May 23, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #36,643 of 39,986
Mullard EL32 Comparison Update...

All comments whilst accompanying the indomitable GEC 6J5s & Bendix 6080s

After a few weeks w/ GT EL32s, last week I swapped to shoulder-type EL32s. I have now had them on for almost 100h, trying to keep my minimum-week-long-roll. As mentioned earlier, they did change earlier this week, in a good way.

My take on the difference between the two: shoulder-types; lower mids enhancement and a slightly "drier" tone, GTs; upper mids enhancement. Where "enhancement" = some more space and tonal emphasis in that range. I can't say I prefer either but bother are enjoyable.

Finally, I think it took a very long time for the GEC 6J5s to "unfold". Perhaps up to just shy of 200h I thought they were slightly bass-light. It must have been near to that point that they had a change where they just sort of opened up/filled out tonally. Presently, I would never accuse them of having anything lacking! They are amazingly clear overall.

Anyhow, I will keep the EL32 shoulder-types in place and rotate in the Fivre 6J5s for this next weeks roll. I am hoping I can cope without the GECs!

Most GEC tubes that I have heard makes me feel the same way...it is hard to really pick out many faults from top to bottom...I feel the same way about the Mullard ECC31/32/33/35. At the end of the day, there is really not much to not like :slight_smile:

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #36,644 of 39,986
A few hours in and I like them. They are spacious and good for the "mid-head" out there. They also have good sparkle in the upper range. During the week, I'll experiment with c3g slot compliments and report back.

The label says 28 9 59, so I am assuming that is day month year ...

May 23, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #36,645 of 39,986
A few hours in and I like them. They are spacious and good for the "mid-head" out there. They also have good sparkle in the upper range. During the week, I'll experiment with c3g slot compliments and report back.

The label says 28 9 59, so I am assuming that is day month year ...
The date code appears to me to be on some kind of tax stamp and may not be directly related to the manufacturing date, but I am not sure of this.....
Yup, Google Translate to the rescue: It is a Radio Tax Exemption stamp from the Finance Ministry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back