2359glenn | studio
Nov 23, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #34,366 of 39,983
Adapter question. Perhaps one for you @Deyan or probably others know:

Referencing @Zachik handy-dandy spreadsheet: I (as of this week) have a "Dual 6J5 to 6SN7 adapter". For a 12J5 it lists a "Dual 12J5 to 12SN7 adapter". Given that my amp has a handy 6/12/25v switch, will it work, allowing a 12J5s in the same adapter?

6 or 12 don't matter a adapter only rearranges the pins it don't matter what voltage goes through it.

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #34,367 of 39,983
Anybody that has the GEL3N amp needs to contact Deyan and get some adapters to try other power tubes.

You can hear EL34/KT66/6V6 ect. - all with the same adapter. It is quite an eye opening experience and well worth the effort.

I kicked back last night with this combo and the LCD-3 for about a 5 hour blues playlist, I was totally immersed and it was so engaging.

DSC03511.JPG

When it is time I will send all of these power tubes to you Glenn.

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #34,368 of 39,983
Anybody that has the GEL3N amp needs to contact Deyan and get some adapters to try other power tubes.

You can hear EL34/KT66/6V6 ect. - all with the same adapter. It is quite an eye opening experience and well worth the effort.

I kicked back last night with this combo and the LCD-3 for about a 5 hour blues playlist, I was totally immersed and it was so engaging.

can I keep them:dt880smile: Just joking I do have mullard EL34s rebranded as Westinghouse I got for $35 each.

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #34,369 of 39,983
can I keep them:dt880smile: Just joking I do have mullard EL34s rebranded as Westinghouse I got for $35 each.

You can keep them as long as you would like to listen :)

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #34,370 of 39,983
There isn't a thread, so I'm just going to post here for now, but I put a down payment on an interesting DAC. I will be getting a "DAC II Special" from the maker SW1X Audio Design in the UK. To say that I am excited is a massive understatement.

The creator, Slawa Roschkow, specializes in NOS R2R designs that are tube-rectified, tube output, no op-amps, minimal use of transistors. He also implements a USB to SPDIF converter with a tube master clock. The particular model I am getting also allows you to roll transistors in the I/U conversion stage. The only other person on Head-Fi I know of who owns one of Slawa's DACs is our host. Talking with Slawa, Glenn, as well as reading testimonials convinced me this is the right fit. I'll likely make a thread when it arrives, but it will be some time before it is completed.

http://sw1xad.co.uk/

20170603_111357.jpg 20170603_120039.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #34,371 of 39,983
There isn't a thread, so I'm just going to post here for now, but I put a down payment on an interesting DAC. I will be getting a "DAC II Special" from the maker SW1X Audio Design in the UK. To say that I am excited is a massive understatement.

The creator, Slawa Roschkow, specializes in NOS R2R designs that are tube-rectified, tube output, no op-amps, minimal use of transistors. He also implements a USB to SPDIF converter with a tube master clock. The particular model I am getting also allows you to roll transistors in the I/U conversion stage. The only other person on Head-Fi I know of who owns one of Slawa's DACs is our host. Talking with Slawa, Glenn, as well as reading testimonials convinced me this is the right fit. I'll likely make a thread when it arrives, but it will be some time before it is completed.

Very interesting. They are just over an hour away. I will be watching progress :)

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #34,372 of 39,983
Very interesting. They are just over an hour away. I will be watching progress :)

I'll start a thread and link impressions here. It will have a GZ34 rectifier, which means I have a very expensive tube purchase in my near future :sob: also 5687/E182CC output buffer.

Here's a picture of the circuit, mine may have some slight component differences. From my reading, they are viewed as an up-and-comer in the high-end DAC market. Impressions I have read from lifelong audiophiles have been overwhelmingly positive.

S1300001-1024x576.jpg

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #34,373 of 39,983
I'll start a thread and link impressions here. It will have a GZ34 rectifier, which means I have a very expensive tube purchase in my near future :sob: also 5687/E182CC output buffer.

Here's a picture of the circuit, mine may have some slight component differences. From my reading, they are viewed as an up-and-comer in the high-end DAC market. Impressions I have read from lifelong audiophiles have been overwhelmingly positive.

Nice AudioNote capacitors you got there sweetie..

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #34,374 of 39,983
Today, I have been listening happily for most of the day. Rare luck. I have been trying to put hours on new 6J5s from earlier this week. I had the past few days and the morning with those and 6x 6BL7s.

This afternoon, I swapped to 4x 6080s and kept the GECs. Everything was sounding especially wide-stage and subtle.

Slightly off-thread, but then I swapped pads on my Verite Closeds. For the past week I had the Hybrid pads going. After a few hours acclimatising to the tube setup this afternoon, I went back to the Auteur pads. These make the VCs sound even more like a fantastic open headphone, with the whole setup; I can't believe how wide and lovely the whole thing is presently.

This musing brought to you by:

Glenn:

20191123_171250.jpg

Zach:

20191123_171407.jpg

https://tidal.com/browse/track/114155404

and

https://tidal.com/browse/track/114400644

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #34,375 of 39,983

Glenn - I was gonna surprise you, but screw that:
I am going to send you a pair of EL34s as a Christmas gift :wink:
Since you got Mullards, I will get something of a different "flavor" for you. Just because :)

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #34,376 of 39,983
Today, I have been listening happily for most of the day. Rare luck. I have been trying to put hours on new 6J5s from earlier this week. I had the past few days and the morning with those and 6x 6BL7s.

This afternoon, I swapped to 4x 6080s and kept the GECs. Everything was sounding especially wide-stage and subtle.
I'm going to try the same combo this evening. What are the date codes on the rear of those L63? I'll see if they are the same as I have. I'll be comparing to the metal base version. I'll also try the 6080 tubes for the first time in the new amp: Mullard and GEC.

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #34,377 of 39,983

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on that beauty! How are you going to connect a digital source/transport to the DAC? I don't see a USB input.

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #34,378 of 39,983
I'm going to try the same combo this evening. What are the date codes on the rear of those L63? I'll see if they are the same as I have. I'll be comparing to the metal base version. I'll also try the 6080 tubes for the first time in the new amp: Mullard and GEC.

Here is the back:

20191118_183015.jpg

You probably know what those date codes mean, I don't. Do tell :)

I was browsing for other 6080s today given the level of enjoyment. I think Bendix are favs, but seem to be unicorn like. I'd love some GEC 6AS7Gs, also not falling out trees either it seems. Other 6080 recommends welcome.

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #34,379 of 39,983
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on that beauty! How are you going to connect a digital source/transport to the DAC? I don't see a USB input.

I used to have a vintage R2R DAC that didnt have a USB input. I used a Schiit Eitr. Im guessing something similar would be used here. The only downside to that is I believe the bitrate is capped lower than a normal USB DAC.

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #34,380 of 39,983
Here is the back:

You probably know what those date codes mean, I don't. Do tell :)

I was browsing for other 6080s today given the level of enjoyment. I think Bendix are favs, but seem to be unicorn like. I'd love some GEC 6AS7Gs, also not falling out trees either it seems. Other 6080 recommends welcome.
You may want to reach out to @rosgr63 . He still may have a pair of Bendix 6080s available. Great guy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back