2359glenn | studio
Nov 21, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #34,336 of 39,981
Im not really sure TBH. I know its compatible with Tidal,but I really dont have much interest in streaming.
Don't need to stream to take advantage of Roon :) I used it for a couple of years without any streaming. I only use the Tidal/Stream piece when interested in Roon finding new music (related to current music tastes). All of my music is stored locally on my PC SSD drives or on my portable devices. I don't want to be reliant on an external music service for my music. What if they went bust?

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #34,337 of 39,981
Thanks to the fine folks at Billington and @Deyan - first session on the 6J5 bandwagon. Just made it past sacrificial headphones and sounding good already. I am sure with some hours, even more niceness is afoot.

20191121_190112.jpg

Accompanied by a 6 pack of 6BL7s....

20191121_190447.jpg

Several of you know I have been dealing with a mains noise issue at my house (no amp issues). The issue persists, but I have made incremental progress improving the score in my home's ground-loop impedance. It was very poor. The issue is not fixed, but is slightly better. Various tubes cope with the underlying mains hum better or worse. With this set of tubes the noise is only audible when the music is stopped or very quiet. As such, listening times are good. When my mains journey is over - I will post a summary somewhere as there have been many twists and turns - and the fat lady has yet to sing!

Be well fellow listeners...

This post brought to you by: https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/3805de6f-5907-4195-a9fa-ca2bf8737bd2

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #34,338 of 39,981
No. The Aurender has not been programmed to be a Roon endpoint.

I have been running Roon for 9 months now. It is the best program I have used which includes Aurender's software and jriver.
I've just cancelled an afternoon meeting so I can get home sooner to play with Roon 1.7 <geek>.

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #34,339 of 39,981
Linux makes a fine music server platform and is free.

There is VLC for the player (also free), which supports a great variety of playlist formats. VLC also offers many software based playback options, as well as remote control via any browser connected to your network. As well as a phone amp. Impress your friends by whipping out your phone and changing playlists or turning the stereo volume up...or down :)

VLC can also stream your music to you from anywhere in the world if you also use the free linux VPN app. You can be your own private secure music streaming service :)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #34,340 of 39,981
Thanks to the fine folks at Billington and @Deyan - first session on the 6J5 bandwagon. Just made it past sacrificial headphones and sounding good already. I am sure with some hours, even more niceness is afoot.

Several of you know I have been dealing with a mains noise issue at my house (no amp issues). The issue persists, but I have made incremental progress improving the score in my home's ground-loop impedance. It was very poor. The issue is not fixed, but is slightly better. Various tubes cope with the underlying mains hum better or worse. With this set of tubes the noise is only audible when the music is stopped or very quiet. As such, listening times are good. When my mains journey is over - I will post a summary somewhere as there have been many twists and turns - and the fat lady has yet to sing!

This post brought to you by: https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/3805de6f-5907-4195-a9fa-ca2bf8737bd2

Beautiful Chris!

Are those "coin based" 6BL7's???

And congrats in progress on ground issues. Just for giggles if you have access to the earth outside a window, might be worth a try...to temporally ground the amp (case screw) to a metal pole (tent peg would do) driven into the ground outside. Just to see if that is the cure...

:)

Nov 21, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #34,341 of 39,981

You need to invite Dr. Mordy over, and he can work on your mains noise with his multi-step program :).

Nov 21, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #34,342 of 39,981
Are those "coin based" 6BL7's???

Not sure. They are GE 6BL7GTAs according to the boxes. They are all NOS, pretty, inexpensive, via Billington. They have very small metal bases, not much to grab. Here is a close-up. They have < a dozen hours on them and sound good already.

20191121_212254.jpg

Here are the boxes:

20191121_213127.jpg

And congrats in progress on ground issues. Just for giggles if you have access to the earth outside a window, might be worth a try...to temporally ground the amp (case screw) to a metal pole (tent peg would do) driven into the ground outside. Just to see if that is the cure...

I have not done that specifically yet, but have done a great load of ground-related things. I will give that one a go.There is a window not too far to try that. I guess just get a copper wire, clip 1 end to the amp & the other attached to a metal tent peg and see if it makes a difference. Adventures galore.

.. and yes @GDuss - I am sure Dr Mordy would work a treat on my power matters.

Nov 21, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #34,343 of 39,981
Not sure. They are GE 6BL7GTAs according to the boxes. They are all NOS, pretty, inexpensive, via Billington. They have very small metal bases, not much to grab. Here is a close-up. They have < a dozen hours on them and sound good already.

Here are the boxes:

I have not done that specifically yet, but have done a great load of ground-related things. I will give that one a go.There is a window not too far to try that. I guess just get a copper wire, clip 1 end to the amp & the other attached to a metal tent peg and see if it makes a difference. Adventures galore.

Man! Yes they are coin based 6BL7's!!! What a light show! I have a couple RCA coin based 6BX7's but have never seen coin based 6BL7's!! Excellent!!

Yes, worth a try to do the 'massive self effort grounding' and see what happens. If it does work you know for sure the problem is grounding. Don't keep it in place as it is also lightning rod!! But you will be much further along in knowledge, if it does work!

Nov 21, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #34,344 of 39,981
6 pack of GAS7G/6080:

I bought the Triad 20 amp 6.3 volt transformer (again) and am awaiting parts needed to make a wooden box that will be the same depth as the GOTL. Going to "dock" the box to the right of the GOTL and power the 6x power tube heaters via the external transformer. Have it jerry-rigged now to heat 2x power tubes and have been enjoying 4x 6080 and 2x GEC 6AS7G ( generously on loan to me from @GDuss ).

4 more socket savers that bring pins 7/8 out to externally heat the tubes have been ordered from Mrs Xu (she gave me a great price on 4):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/191741357847

I love what I am getting! The lows and lower mids are tremendously intimate. The photo shows a TS 12SN7 mouse ears driver. I have since switched to the 75+ year old NOS 12J5 Tung Sol's and the intimacy is extended through the mids. Better separation, wider sound stage, too.

I have "Pipe Organ" bass - like it is vibrating the floor and chair I am sitting in. This is an illusion, of course, but man...it is FUN!

EPL60118.JPG

EPL60116.JPG

When I get the box made and am powering all 6 power tube heaters externally, an added benefit will be the GOTL running very cool since it won't need to provide the amperage to the power tube heaters.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #34,345 of 39,981

Here are the boxes:

Hi Chrisdrop,

Don't know if I can offer much help for ground related things. Have you tried some kind of power conditioner?

Way back on the Little Dot thread we had a Pakistani guy who lived in Saudi Arabia who had major problems with the ground (UT will remember).. He lived in a tall apartment building and was finally able to cure his problem by running a wire out his window to a peg in the ground.
For a long time I had hum and at one point connected a wire to the chassis of my LD MKIII that went to a long 4 gauge booster cable with clamps (for jumpstarting a car with a dead battery) and attached the other end to a metal water pipe under a counter in my kitchen.
Didn't help, luckily for me, because of the WAF (wife acceptance factor) - my wife would not let me have thick battery cables adorning her kitchen counter......
I seem to remember attaching a wire to one of the chassis screws and the other end to the grounded portion of one of the RCA plugs in the back of the amp and this helped a little.
Somehow the grounding problems and hum seemed to resolve themselves over time and with the GOTL I don't have any problems.

Nov 21, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #34,346 of 39,981
TGIF, happy Friday folks!

IMG_20191117_155353.jpg

PS > I have found that I like my RCA 6BL7 sextet better than Tung Sol 6BL7 tubes. Time to roll Sylvania 6BL7s next week to try another flavour

Nov 21, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #34,348 of 39,981
The earlier Sylvania 6BL7 had flat plates, and later ones x-plates. Supposedly the flat plates sound better.

Thanks for the heads up Mordy..

IMG_20191122_114715.jpg

Can see that the flat plate 6BL7 has a very different construction from the X plates. I only have 2 of them tho so won't be able to do a proper A/B. I have 6 of the X plates.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back