2359glenn | studio
Jul 4, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #21,241 of 39,986
The only thing stopping me from ordering another project from Glenn right now is money! :beerchug: A few years ago, I lost a good number of tubes in a freak accident inside storage unit. I remember having about 6-8 National Union UX-245 Globes, certainly looked nice...until broken. Found one Sunday night, maybe another one or two survived, will be looking. Now thinking maybe commissioning a pair of 45 monaural amps from Glenn...

Finally completed my listening room at new residence yesterday. Still need to connect cables ect tonight; tomorrow:

In bottom photo, the 2359glenn OTL isn't driving the Kef's in the rear. They're all in the corner waiting to be pressed in to service as needed to save space in front of main audio rack.
Hi SO,
Very impressive - could you tell me what the different components are? Don't envy you in the work of connecting all those pieces.....

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #21,242 of 39,986
Happy July 4th!

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #21,243 of 39,986
Hi SO
Nice setup
Thanks kindly. Realizing I wouldn’t be able to do any meaningful headphone listening earlier in the evening, I left “cabling” for the day after. It’s now after midnight out here in LA and still lots of gatherings, parties and explosions. Now that I think about it, Lebron James might have more to do with people’s excitement tonight than “The 4th!”

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #21,244 of 39,986
Hi SO,
Very impressive - could you tell me what the different components are? Don't envy you in the work of connecting all those pieces.....
Thanks mordy. Starting at top of rack, left to right:

- Vintage Monster Receiver
1978 Sansui G-22000 (rare); 265wpc @ 8 or 16 ohms

- Mac mini music server; Amarra software

- Music Hall mmf-7 turntable

Leftside - bottom & middle shelf:
Pair of Shindo Laboratory Sinhonia F2a monaural amps (rare); 40wpc @ 16 ohms (modeled after Marantz Model 2 monarual amp 1956; further refined by Shindo-san)

- Rightside - middle shelf:
Sacd/Dvd Sony S9000es player

- Bottom shelf center; rightside:
APC Power conditioner; Wyred4Sound Dac w/low ESR caps

- across room:
Heritage 2359glenn OTL amp

- Pair Kef Coda 9 floorstanding speakers
- Modded HiFiMAN HE-6 cans - via speaker taps on all amps.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #21,245 of 39,986
The only thing stopping me from ordering another project from Glenn right now is money! :beerchug: A few years ago, I lost a good number of tubes in a freak accident inside storage unit. I remember having about 6-8 National Union UX-245 Globes, certainly looked nice...until broken. Found one Sunday night, maybe another one or two survived, will be looking. Now thinking maybe commissioning a pair of 45 monaural amps from Glenn...

Finally completed my listening room at new residence yesterday. Still need to connect cables ect tonight; tomorrow:

In bottom photo, the 2359glenn OTL isn't driving the Kef's in the rear. They're all in the corner waiting to be pressed in to service as needed to save space in front of main audio rack.

Wow that is the first or second amp I built
Ether that one is the first or the one Clayton has is.
Pretty sure that is the first.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #21,246 of 39,986
Wow that is the first or second amp I built
Ether that one is the first or the one Clayton has is.
Pretty sure that is the first.

I knew this had to be an older OTL because of the small footprint size....small chassis.
Am I correct thinking that I see the monstrous 5U8C as the rectifier tube in Silent's amp.

Jul 5, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #21,247 of 39,986
I knew this had to be an older OTL because of the small footprint size....small chassis.
Am I correct thinking that I see the monstrous 5U8C as the rectifier tube in Silent's amp.

Yes pretty sure this is the first and that is a 5U8C.
Kind of neat to see it.
He did send it back to add the 5998 switch pretty sure those are 5998s.
The real first one I sold on E-Bay with a 1633 driver that transformer has a 25 volt winding that is not being used.
I originally designed the amp to use the 13D1 or 1633 as a driver but after the first one every one wanted to use a 6SN7.

Jul 5, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #21,248 of 39,986
I had Clayton's OTL for a while. I think it was the 2nd sold on HF...OG OTL!
It sounded really great with $30 worth of tubes.

OGGOTL.jpg

Silent One...good to see you back with your rig.
Trade the KEFs for some monitors and set up a near field rig. Your Shindos need to sing!

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #21,249 of 39,986
Yes pretty sure this is the first and that is a 5U8C.
Kind of neat to see it.
He did send it back to add the 5998 switch pretty sure those are 5998s.
The real first one I sold on E-Bay with a 1633 driver that transformer has a 25 volt winding that is not being used.
I originally designed the amp to use the 13D1 or 1633 as a driver but after the first one every one wanted to use a 6SN7.

Since selling my special pair of TS 6SN7s, I mainly feature the 13D1 with adapter.

@parbaked
Great to see you too...miss having exchanges with you and seeing your contributions around the site. We seem to have a few links in common if memory serves: Matt (pitch perfect audio; clayton; appreciation for Japanese Art & Culture; A-u-d-i-o !!!

expo5 juillet (1) (1024x681) - Copy.jpg

expo5 juillet (2) (1024x681) - Copy.jpg

UX-245 Globe - RCA Radiotron

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #21,250 of 39,986
You can add me to that list hehe
Since selling my special pair of TS 6SN7s, I mainly feature the 13D1 with adapter.

@parbaked
Great to see you too...miss having exchanges with you and seeing your contributions around the site. We seem to have a few links in common if memory serves: Matt (pitch perfect audio; clayton; appreciation for Japanese Art & Culture; A-u-d-i-o !!!

UX-245 Globe - RCA Radiotron

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #21,251 of 39,986
SO...bikes too...I moved to Oakland so I almost never have to drive anymore!!!

This is the only place I check in on HF...and that's just to see if Stavros or any other OG's check in.
I do also love seeing how even more awesome Glenn's amps are evolving. Really some of the best stuff in hifi.

As I mature I realize that I really prefer speakers to cans and that tube rolling is not for me compared to spending that money on pizza and beer; so I just don't have that much to contribute here anymore...unless peeps really want to see pics of all the pizza I'm eating...

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #21,254 of 39,986
Jul 5, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #21,255 of 39,986
SO...bikes too...I moved to Oakland so I almost never have to drive anymore!!!

This is the only place I check in on HF...and that's just to see if Stavros or any other OG's check in.
I do also love seeing how even more awesome Glenn's amps are evolving. Really some of the best stuff in hifi.

As I mature I realize that I really prefer speakers to cans and that tube rolling is not for me compared to spending that money on pizza and beer; so I just don't have that much to contribute here anymore...unless peeps really want to see pics of all the pizza I'm eating...

O!!! that's right, how could I forget my cycling brother?! I wonder if my doctor is getting an undisclosed cut from all the Rx she has me on...having difficulty remembering things last couple of months. Lol

I use to live in E.Oakland. Worked in and around Grand & Madana and always got my pizza, cafe & other drinks "on" up and down Grand, Lake Shore. Ahhh and then there was Berkeley! I miss both sides of the Bay but deep fondness for the Eastbay. Now you have me thinking about the record shops around Telegraph & Durant, Blondies...I use to play chess across the street from Cal (UC Berkeley) @ Togo's. Shoot! Next time I come up, gonna have to hit you and Clayton up!

Yup, pizza is simply one of those eats I will never tire of...ever! Also, I'm really looking forward to climbing aboard my Cervelo this September, should be off disability by Sep/Oct. That "Canadian" makes for a thrilling ride!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back