2359glenn | studio
Jun 25, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #21,212 of 39,986
@Monsterzero Might want to try rolling the driver tube and power tubes before the rectifier tube. I find the rectifier tube to make the least difference. Perhaps try a Telefunken 12au7 or Telefunken 12ax7. You can pay crazy prices for early and mid 1950's versions of these tubes, but the 1960's versions are still very good. My main system tends to be quite warm, so I like to have a Telefunken somewhere in the tube chain.

In the Glenn OTL, I find that rectifiers can make a significant difference. However, it is my understanding that this is not true with respect to some other amps...

And speaking of Telefunken, initially I considered the Cossor 53KU to be a good match for the embossed Telefunken C3g, but recently have begun to notice that the midrange, especially vocals, is too subdued. So I figured I needed to switch to a rectifier with a more forward midrange than the Cossor, but still a bit dark, and decided to pop in a Mullard GZ32. So far so good. :)

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #21,213 of 39,986
I really like the GZ32 as well,but im saving my nickels for WE 422a....might take awhile

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #21,214 of 39,986
In the Glenn OTL, I find that rectifiers can make a significant difference. However, it is my understanding that this is not true with respect to some other amps...

And speaking of Telefunken, initially I considered the Cossor 53KU to be a good match for the embossed Telefunken C3g, but recently have begun to notice that the midrange, especially vocals, is too subdued. So I figured I needed to switch to a rectifier with a more forward midrange than the Cossor, but still a bit dark, and decided to pop in a Mullard GZ32. So far so good. :)
Damn - so, I need to order my GOTL with a tube rectifier then and not the solid state. Well, I do have plenty of rectifiers, so this does seem the obvious choice...

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #21,216 of 39,986
Yeah I saw the last uber expensive tube you posted but couldn't find any mention of it in any thread.
I guess if I knew for sure that an 800.00 tube was head and shoulders above the Western Electric I might be inclined, but I think the WE will be the one, besides I need to get back into salt water aquariums and that's no cheap hobby either

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #21,217 of 39,986
Yeah I saw the last uber expensive tube you posted but couldn't find any mention of it in any thread.
I guess if I knew for sure that an 800.00 tube was head and shoulders above the Western Electric I might be inclined, but I think the WE will be the one, besides I need to get back into salt water aquariums and that's no cheap hobby either

Both the Telefunken and Klangfilm tubes are B4-based 4-volt rectifiers, and thus they require an adapter:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/2359glenn-studio.600110/page-1412#post-14315557

Given their sky-high price and the fact that they require adapters to be used in 5-volt amps, it could very well be that no one on head-fi has tried them. Wouldn't you like to be the first? :)

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #21,218 of 39,986
All joking aside, my two cents: There is no one rectifier that is the best in all systems, just as there is no one driver or no one output tube that is the best. In the end, it comes down to synergy. How well does the sound of the rectifier complement the sound of the rest of the system. So if I were to spend $500, or even $800, for one rectifier, I know that in some configurations it simply won't sound all that good. For example, while both the U52 and the Cossor 53KU are considered among the very best rectifiers, neither sounds all that good with the Telefunken C3g. The relatively cheap GZ32 sounds much better.

So if you want to obtain the most benefit from rolling rectifiers, my advice is to get lots of them. And of course, this means not spending all your money on only one or two. And then, when you make changes in the rest of your system, be it a new driver or new headphones, as long as you have a decent assortment of rectifiers, you can probably find one that makes your system shine on.

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #21,219 of 39,986
I am guessing here, but I am thinking you have heard more 4 volt rectifiers than anybody Ken.

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #21,221 of 39,986
I can't wait to hear my onyx through the Glenn OTL AMP !!!!!! OMG this thing makes my SS cayin IHA-6 SING so musical so spacious so detailed and yet the music is softer sounding its insane how this dac works...... ! I think I'm in love... *stares at the pavane level 3* Im running it through Monoprice USB cable Eitr Monster M850 Coaxial to Onyx ZMF 2k XLR balanced to Cayin iha-6 ZMF Balanced 2k cable to BLackwood Auteurs/ SE HD800 *impressions are from my hd800* this dac alone tamed the HD800 and Cayin iha-6 which can be quite bright and creates sibilance in already bright headphones I have yet to hear any resemblance of it.

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #21,222 of 39,986
[QUOTE="mordy, post: 14314622, member: 157386
Is there a marked difference in sound quality between YouTube and the CD?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the CD sounds better. Does anyone listen to actual CD's anymore?

I do....but I realize that I am "old, and in the way" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back