2359glenn | studio
May 4, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #19,877 of 39,994
MWT = Marconi's Wireless Telegraph Company

Due to numerous changes, mergers and acquisitions over many years, the precise relationship between Marconi, Osram and GEC is a bit complicated. But to my mind it is simplest to consider them as the same company, just different brands. For example, since all U52 were manufactured in the same factory, tubes carrying the Marconi label, the Osram label or the GEC label are identical. However, generally speaking, one can say that earlier production carried the Marconi and Osram labels and after around 1967, the GEC label was more common.
Hi gibosi,
There was a discussion about a Gold Lion tube a short time ago, and it was claimed that it was not a reissue, but a brand on its own.
I got the impression that this 12AU7 is a Genalex reissue tube. From seeing a picture of a Genalex box it looked very similar to a GEC box. Is Genalex another GEC brand?

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #19,878 of 39,994
Sup guys! Anyone know where I can get some of those 6SN7 -> 6DE7 adapters for my WA6SE? And would I be making the right decision getting those really sexy looking Psvane ones?

Also, take a four second exposure of my setup.

2YaFlLh.jpg

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #19,881 of 39,994
Hey Mordy.
I have seen those, but I don't know a great deal about them. I've heard that there are special adapters that 2359glenn makes that allows the tubes to be used with the 6SE, otherwise it'll kill the amp or the tubes.
Will they do the same job as Glenn's?
Hi n,
I am not familiar with this - why don't you PM Glenn directly?

May 4, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #19,883 of 39,994
Hi gibosi,
There was a discussion about a Gold Lion tube a short time ago, and it was claimed that it was not a reissue, but a brand on its own.
I got the impression that this 12AU7 is a Genalex reissue tube. From seeing a picture of a Genalex box it looked very similar to a GEC box. Is Genalex another GEC brand?

I have never seen any of the common OTL tubes, such as 6AS7, 6080, B36, B65, B729, U52, and so on, manufactured by MO/GEC and carrying the Genalex label. Further, after casually searching the web, the only references claiming that Genalex-branded tubes were actually manufactured by MO/GEC in the 1950's are tube vendors. So I have my doubts...

That said, perhaps a small number of tubes that were very popular in the audio world of the 1950's, such as the KT88 and 12AX7, were actually manufactured by MO/GEC and sold under the Genalex label, but I simply don't know....

Be that as it may, New Sensor Corp is currently manufacturing and selling a number of tubes under the Genalex Gold Lion label. And of course, these are "new stock" as opposed to "old stock"...

But again, since I simply don't know, I think it is best for me to leave this to others who might be more familiar with Genalex....

May 4, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #19,884 of 39,994
Hey Mordy.
I have seen those, but I don't know a great deal about them. I've heard that there are special adapters that 2359glenn makes that allows the tubes to be used with the 6SE, otherwise it'll kill the amp or the tubes.
Will they do the same job as Glenn's?

I can't see any reason why they wouldn't work. After all, building simple adapters to reroute pins is not rocket science. While I don't have these particular adapters, I do have a large number of adapters crafted by a variety of eBay vendors, and they have all worked without a hitch.

May 4, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #19,885 of 39,994
I can't see any reason why they wouldn't work. After all, building simple adapters to reroute pins is not rocket science. While I don't have these particular adapters, I do have a large number of adapters crafted by a variety of eBay vendors, and they have all worked without a hitch.

Yeah, I see your point and mostly agree. I'm being a little over-cautious if anything because I don't want to break my stuff. From what I've heard, the ones Glenn builds cuts the voltage/current slightly so they don't get overpowered?

May 4, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #19,887 of 39,994
Yeah, I see your point and mostly agree. I'm being a little over-cautious if anything because I don't want to break my stuff. From what I've heard, the ones Glenn builds cuts the voltage/current slightly so they don't get overpowered?

You really need to send a PM to Glenn about this. After all, the vast majority of us in this forum use Glenn's amps and thus it is likely that there is no one here who has experience with an adapter allowing the use of 6SN7 in a 6DE7-based amp.

May 4, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #19,888 of 39,994
You really need to send a PM to Glenn about this. After all, the vast majority of us in this forum use Glenn's amps and thus it is likely that there is no one here who has experience with an adapter allowing the use of 6SN7 in a 6DE7-based amp.

Fair enough. I didn't realise most people used his own builds. Cheers for the heads up :)

May 4, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #19,889 of 39,994
Here is the TS 12SN7 BGRP.

Sounds wonderful - will report more when I have heard more of it.

Very good. Will look forward to your report. Mine is stuck somewhere in Siberia. :)

Meanwhile, how have I not yet discovered this gem that is sitting right under my nose. Not wanting to burn out my Tung Sol 6F8G bgrp and Tung Sol 5998, I started looking around my stash for a combination that I can use through Autumn and Winter. Yeah it's starting to get cold. Weather is a funny thing. It's hot then it's cold.

Anyway my eyes rest upon the chunky Cetron 6336b. That's definitely a good candidate to heat the room and I also noticed the pair of Brimar 13D1 that I bought from Langrex on the 3rd of Oct 2017 for 20 pounds and have not use it much.

Pop the Brimar 13D1 and Cetron 6336b in and viola, they are very quiet tubes and crystal clear. Cymbals crash like they should and kick drums kick like they should too - with impact. I've found my tubes for the cold months ahead.

I suggest you write to Mr Langrex and ask for these Brimar 13D1. He might still have them. Hardly anyone uses these 25 volts tubes. At 10 pounds a tube, they are about the best bang for winter ..... and all the other seasons.

DSC_0017 (2).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back