2359glenn | studio
May 2, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #19,846 of 40,001
I used to use auctionsniper.com when I collected records. Put in your high bid and forget about it. Avoids getting into a bidding war. Most "auctions" on eBay these days are "buy it now" though. Most of us record collectors of certain bands got to know each other. Used to be fun, but I'm glad I sold up and managed to beat one addiction.

Hello LS...must still have some LP's, with that turntable so prominently displayed in your avatar?

:)

May 2, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #19,847 of 40,001
Hi P,
I was once out biking and nailed a tube lot on eBay because they sent out a notification when five minutes were left of the auction.
It should be possible to make bids on your cell phone but to get notified it means that you had previously made a bid on that item.
Come to think of it I won a bid on my Beyerdynamic T1 Gen1 while driving (I did stop to make the winning bid).

I’m kicking myself for not putting in a bid. Ciest la vie.

I did want to ask you guys what the consensus was on the RCA 6sn7gtbs with orange letterings.

May 2, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #19,848 of 40,001
While I haven't tried every American 6SN7GTB out there, it has been my experience that 6SN7GT manufactured in the 1940's, that is the earliest production, are better than the later GTB. But of course, my ears and my gear... YMMV. :)

May 2, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #19,849 of 40,001
Hi leftside,
What did you do with your record collection? I have some 150 LPs sitting for many many years and I never listen to them, but I have almost everything on CD of those records plus many more CDs (that I also never use - put everything on my harddrive).

Hello LS...must still have some LP's, with that turntable so prominently displayed in your avatar?

:)
I only sold the collectible/expensive ones. I had lot's of punk and new wave test pressings and rare foreign presses. I suffered a nasty injury a few years ago from mountain biking, so had lot's of time to scan the covers/records and list on eBay and Discogs. I still have about 300-400 LPs and about 100 12"/EPs for playing. Wasn't listening this evening though as I was out mountain biking :) I no longer have a single CD or SACD as I burnt them all to FLAC and ISO/DSF.

May 3, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #19,850 of 40,001
Matt I got the sheepskin version (non fenestrated). I certainly don't feel as if anything is missing compared to stock. If anything,imaging is improved although I havn't done A/B.

I just bought the velour version at Axpona. I listened to both the leather and velour and the velour fit better my taste. IMO the leather ones brought out a little more of their highs. The think the Velour are closer to the original Alcantara pads so the sound did not change and yes the soundstage presentation got better.

I also bout a pair of their Utopia velour pads and really like them.

Thanks Yates and Musicman for the feedback.

May 3, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #19,851 of 40,001
All this talk of vinyl reminds me of my forgotten TT. :gs1000smile:

20170903_133226.jpg

May 3, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #19,852 of 40,001
I read with interest someone's synopsis of the differences between Tung Sol 6F8G black glass...

Flat Plates vs Round Plates:
Round plates have boosted bass and mid-bass which covers a little bit of the midrange. Flat plates are flat but with better defined treble and more air. They're just flat across whole frequency range have the same super sonic quality with Round Plates but better holography and air. Round plates have boosted bass and because of that, more body - but are not as transparent and clear.

Whilst I've not suss out such differences, I do note that the round plates I'm listening to now with 5998, have a very smooth and boosted bass presentation. Now this could be because of 5998 or the Eikon headphone I'm using.

Which leads me to note the differences between 5998 and 6 x 6BL7. 5998 has a more boosted bass, more body and air. 6 x 6BL7 is flatter but more defined and precise. Both have impressed me with the sound presented to my ears.

5 months on with Glenn's OTL amp, I'm still discovering the best possible tone that appeals to me with certain tube combinations. This combination of Tung Sol 6F8G black glass round plates and 5998 is my current favourite. Coupled with the fact that each time I power the amp on with these tubes, I get the ultra black background with no noise at all, it's enough to make me give it a 5 stars ratings. :smile_phones:

20180503_202208.jpg

May 3, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #19,853 of 40,001
Dang! Sorry to hear that.

Recently, I almost had a B36 for a great price and totally forgot about it while I was walking the dogs. I didn’t even think of putting a bid in. Sold for $80 I think.

I’ve been reading the 6SN7 Addicts thread. Started at page 1 and currently at 180. Great information in that thread and funny how prices have shot up from then.

I see good group of people *Brain Trust* in that thread in here.
The addicts thread is a great resource, but can be very dangerous for your wallet.

May 3, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #19,854 of 40,001
I read with interest someone's synopsis of the differences between Tung Sol 6F8G black glass...

Flat Plates vs Round Plates:
Round plates have boosted bass and mid-bass which covers a little bit of the midrange. Flat plates are flat but with better defined treble and more air. They're just flat across whole frequency range have the same super sonic quality with Round Plates but better holography and air. Round plates have boosted bass and because of that, more body - but are not as transparent and clear.

Whilst I've not suss out such differences, I do note that the round plates I'm listening to now with 5998, have a very smooth and boosted bass presentation. Now this could be because of 5998 or the Eikon headphone I'm using.

Which leads me to note the differences between 5998 and 6 x 6BL7. 5998 has a more boosted bass, more body and air. 6 x 6BL7 is flatter but more defined and precise. Both have impressed me with the sound presented to my ears.

5 months on with Glenn's OTL amp, I'm still discovering the best possible tone that appeals to me with certain tube combinations. This combination of Tung Sol 6F8G black glass round plates and 5998 is my current favourite. Coupled with the fact that each time I power the amp on with these tubes, I get the ultra black background with no noise at all, it's enough to make me give it a 5 stars ratings. :smile_phones:

I don't see you have socket protector on the amp. Any reason for that?

I believe you are the most active tube rolling guy on the head-fi. :)

Hope you don't have to change the socket in the future. It's a pain in the neck. Any Glenn like to do. LOL

May 3, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #19,855 of 40,001
I don't see you have socket protector on the amp. Any reason for that?

I believe you are the most active tube rolling guy on the head-fi. :)

Hope you don't have to change the socket in the future. It's a pain in the neck. Any Glenn like to do. LOL

It's a good idea to use them!!!!!!!!!!
Costly to send the amp back to the US

May 3, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #19,856 of 40,001
It's a good idea to use them!!!!!!!!!!
Costly to send the amp back to the US

In a year's time I would like to replace it with Yamamoto's sockets..... if you have time. In the meantime the sockets are still good and I've settle on a few select tubes for the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back