2359glenn | studio
Dec 24, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #12,588 of 39,986
Dec 25, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #12,596 of 39,986
Merry Christmas to everyone! 

Here's to a safe and gear filled 2016!

beerchug.gif

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #12,597 of 39,986
Best Xmas wishes to all, wherever on the planet you might be.

My own Xmas present continues to go from strength to strength. Have run the bugger fairly hard over the past few weeks and put 200+ hours on it. Tubes and amp are maturing nicely. A slight background hum on one channel is gone (caps burning in?). Tubes are sounding just wonderful - good bass, great treble and those lovely, luscious mids that the TA300B/WE300B type tubes are famous for.

SERPs do a better job down low than the TA300B, but that is the only area where the TA300B isn't top dog. I have a set of the new 'improved' TA300Bs on order with Price Japan - I wonder if those tubes will have a bass improvement? Bass is the only area I might call a weakness for the TA300B (and it's bass isn't bad, just not as deep or tight as the SERPs, which have the best bass of any 300B I have tried).

Strong recommendation on the upgrade option for the 47 step attenuator. Having those extra step really helps to adjust the volume to exactly where you want it. I listen at low to moderate volume (mostly) so 24 steps could have been a little crude for my needs. I think this applies particularly to the 8W output of the 300B amp. This attenuator works very well and has a nice 'feel' to it.

Dec 26, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #12,598 of 39,986
I am enjoying Hot and Cool bottles with Glenn and Steven, remotely.
Enjoy the weekend, everyone!

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #12,599 of 39,986
Thought I would share a short story of user stupidity regarding my new Glenn 300B amp.

I was doing some tube rolling around some of the older Lorenz C3g (the matt black embossed version). Anyway, I switched the amp off and then yanked the right channel C3G from the amp seconds later. You normally couldn't do this, as the C3g at full operating temp is a hot person, but these tubes had only been active for a few minutes. Don't ask me what I was thinking - I wasn't. Obviously the capacitors were still holding a significant charge - not good.

The amp produced a loud BANG via the headphones which were still on my ears. That wasn't fun. At first I thought I had wrecked the amp, but had only wrecked my hearing for about an hour or so. Amp and tubes are fine. My modded HD800 is toast - the right channel is wrecked - produces a thin sound at about half the volume of the left channel.

So folks - a reminder to always, always give your tube amp a proper shutdown time for the tubes to cool and the capacitors to discharge. I just wrecked my favorite headphone (modded HD800).

Might have to check out the HD800S when it becomes available in 2016.

Glenn was kind enough to share some wisdom via PM on this situation. The amp is well protected - even ripping out a C3g with the power on is not going to damage the amp, but is going to wreck your headphones. In my case I would guess there was about a 3 second pause between powering off the amp and yanking the C3g - nowhere near enough time for the caps to discharge.

I have given myself an epic mental bollocking and have asked my local HeadFi buddy Badas (Donovan) to slap me upside the head next time he sees me.

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #12,600 of 39,986
Sorry to hear that, Tony. Good to know that the amp is alright though. 

I suspect the 800S will be a worthy purchase. I'd like to hear it for myself before making the final decision about "upgrading", but it seems like a logical course of action if your existing 800 down for the count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back