2359glenn | studio
Oct 21, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #10,696 of 39,983
  Hello everyone,

I have just posted a review of Glenn's amplifier here: http://www.tweak-fi.com/apps/blog/show/42754587-building-a-reference-system-part-2-glenn-s-headphone-amplifier

The version of the amplifier I have is the one that allows the use of six-6BL7s as output tubes.

Below is a picture of the amplifier in my system:

The amplifier sounds fantastic. Thanks again Glenn for making such a terrific headphone amplifier!

Is that a special version of Glenn's OTL ?

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #10,697 of 39,983
  Great Review
beerchug.gif

Fantastic review.....well done.

plusONE! 

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #10,698 of 39,983
@ slim.a

There is only one area which is not adequately covered by the review  . The amazing price / performance ratio of Glenn's amp vis-a-vis other amps. I have had the good fortune of being able to try a few amps in the higher price range & IMHO based on my limited experience, you need to go up more than double the cost to get the same level of performance.

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #10,699 of 39,983
  Hello everyone,

I have just posted a review of Glenn's amplifier here: http://www.tweak-fi.com/apps/blog/show/42754587-building-a-reference-system-part-2-glenn-s-headphone-amplifier

The version of the amplifier I have is the one that allows the use of six-6BL7s as output tubes.

Below is a picture of the amplifier in my system:

The amplifier sounds fantastic. Thanks again Glenn for making such a terrific headphone amplifier!

Thanks for the great write-up! 

This only makes me want to hear the Glenn OTL more now... 

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #10,702 of 39,983
  @ slim.a

There is only one area which is not adequately covered by the review. The amazing price / performance ratio of Glenn's amp vis-a-vis other amps. I have had the good fortune of being able to try a few amps in the higher price range & IMHO based on my limited experience, you need to go up more than double the cost to get the same level of performance.

Hi punit, I suspect that price / performance ratio of Glenn's amplifier is exceptionally good. Though, given that I did not have amplifiers costing more, I could not attest about that.

Also, whenever I am reviewing a piece of gear, I try to forget about the price and try to describe it "as is". Nonetheless, if I try to compare it to other amplifiers I have listened to, I would say that his amplifier has indeed the highest performance relative to price I have come across. 

Moreover, if one were to be to shopping for a speaker amplifier, I don't believe that there is anything in the four figure range that can approach it. As a matter of fact, I have simply never heard an amplifier that had that many qualities.

Is that a special version of Glenn's OTL ?

When I ordered my amplifier from Glenn, he told me at the time that the only other amplifier he had made with 6BL7 tubes was rosgr63's. I do not know if he has made similar ones since then.

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #10,703 of 39,983
I am waiting for an OTL from Glenn and after reading reviews like this one, I get even more excited to hear it.

It also makes me very glad that this is the route that I chose to go.......I have heard nothing but great praise for Glenn and I am so glad I will be able to experience the pleasure of listening and owning one of his amps.

I hope my HD800 appeciates it  
smile.gif

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #10,704 of 39,983
  Been a while since I have visited. First off I would like to again thank Glenn
for building me an amp that has destroyed any desire to look further. I listen
to it every day without issue. It is the first time in my audio history dating back
to the late 60's that I can listen to the music without thinking about highs, bass,
and all the rest of the stuff that goes with the search. Thank you Glenn.
And to all here that helped with my decision thank you.

Glenn makes some of the very best amps.
The more you'll listen to it the more you'll like it.

Thanks for the kind words! I just hope it did justice to Glenn's fantastic amplifier.

As always you spent a lot of time and made every effort to write a honest, detailed and impartial review.
Thanks for all the hard work.
I know you have optimised your system to the maximum, but in the future it would be nice if you could try some more rectifiers and drivers not to mention the 6336A's.

All of Glenn's amps are Special
wink.gif
This is one of the versions that he makes.

Indeed, all Glenn's amps are Special

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #10,705 of 39,983

As always you spent a lot of time and made every effort to write a honest, detailed and impartial review.
I know you have optimised your system to the maximum, but in the future it would be nice if you could try some more rectifiers and drivers not to mention the 6336A's.

Indeed, Glenn makes the amps one by one and all of them are Special :)

As for the tube rolling, I should be getting the following in the coming weeks :
- A Sophia 6SN7 (grade A)
- A set of GE 6BL7s
- A 5AR4 rectifier tube
- A 5AU4 rectifier tube

I have yet to try the 6336As. Is there any consensus on good 6336As to buy?

I will post a follow-up to the review when I get more tubes to experiment with. Also, I will post next a review of the HD800 and give more musical examples (and more insight) into the Glenn / HD800 pairing.

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #10,706 of 39,983

Indeed, Glenn makes the amps one by one and all of them are Special :)

As for the tube rolling, I should be getting the following in the coming weeks :
- A Sophia 6SN7 (grade A)
- A set of GE 6BL7s
- A 5AR4 rectifier tube
- A 5AU4 rectifier tube

I have yet to try the 6336As. Is there any consensus on good 6336As to buy?

I will post a follow-up to the review when I get more tubes to experiment with. Also, I will post next a review of the HD800 and give more musical examples (and more insight) into the Glenn / HD800 pairing.

Slim.A
Thanks for the great Review.
The 6336 tubes are for low impedance cans if you are using the T1 & HD800s
The 6BL7s will sound best.

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #10,707 of 39,983
That's right but a pair of Cetron driving some Grados will be a great review.

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #10,708 of 39,983
Anyone here about the new Audeze prototype Z.
Well, it has sparked my interested in the Glenn OTL again.
People are saying that the 1200 ohm headphone would be great to pair with an OTL

What do you think Glenn? 

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #10,709 of 39,983
I am listening to the SACD of Beggar's Banquet with my LCD-3s and Selah.  I feel bad for the rest of you since you can't hear this.  Jagger is in my head.  This is the #1 combination in headphonia.

And, Selah is total eye candy.

Thanks Glenn!

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #10,710 of 39,983
  I am listening to the SACD of Beggar's Banquet with my LCD-3s and Selah.  I feel bad for the rest of you since you can't hear this.  Jagger is in my head.  This is the #1 combination in headphonia.

And, Selah is total eye candy.

Thanks Glenn!

Post more pics David.  Gonna join you soon enough.  Might be the best Christmas present ever.  In the mean time keeping busy will be a pair of these.  

Nothing too serious, would just ask a friend to build a open baffle for them to try.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back