2359glenn | studio
Nov 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #6,917 of 39,994
  Alright guys, I found a batch of 28 NOS 1641 tubes, 7 GE + 18 NAT + 3 RAY. Price however is 30 a piece (+ shipping to you) but I can get them quick.
I just ordered 5 elsewhere, so I won't be needing any myself. Is anyone interested?

I think I'd be interested in a couple of them.  It's always fun to try new rectifiers.

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #6,918 of 39,994
Has Glenn made any pre-amps before?
Instead of looking for a pre-amp/headphone amp combo I think I should get a separate pre-amp for my emotiva pro 6s.

I came across your post. Hello it has been a bit since we last posted each other. So you are considering a separate  preamp for your airmotiv 6s I definitely suggest if you do go that route you definitely must get a preamp with balanced outputs. I do not know if you have heard your sixes through the balanced inputs. I can attest the differences between single ended drive and balanced drive are very apparent. I have been listening to my airmotiv 5s for awhile driven through their balanced inputs and they sound much better when driven in balanced fashion. The dynamics are definitely much better with balanced drive. I think pretty much everything is improved over single ended drive. If you can borrow a preamp or preamp/dac with balanced outputs you should try it.
   The differences are pretty pronounced. You really have not heard your sixes until you have used them with the balanced inputs. I think you will be surprised at the amount of improvement that balanced drive brings to the game,. Believe me it is going to be tough going back to single ended drive once you have heard the emotivas through their balanced inputs.
  But getting back to my original point try and borrow a preamp with balanced outputs and some balanced cables. Try your airmotiv sixes in balanced fashion. I think you are going to love what you hear from them. Believe me it is going to tough going back to single ended drive once you have heard balanced drive. Drop me a post.

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #6,919 of 39,994

Has Glenn made any pre-amps before?
Instead of looking for a pre-amp/headphone amp combo I think I should get a separate pre-amp for my emotiva pro 6s.

I came across your post. Hello it has been a bit since we last posted each other. So you are considering a separate  preamp for your airmotiv 6s I definitely suggest if you do go that route you definitely must get a preamp with balanced outputs. I do not know if you have heard your sixes through the balanced inputs. I can attest the differences between single ended drive and balanced drive are very apparent. I have been listening to my airmotiv 5s for awhile driven through their balanced inputs and they sound much better when driven in balanced fashion. The dynamics are definitely much better with balanced drive. I think pretty much everything is improved over single ended drive. If you can borrow a preamp or preamp/dac with balanced outputs you should try it.
   The differences are pretty pronounced. You really have not heard your sixes until you have used them with the balanced inputs. I think you will be surprised at the amount of improvement that balanced drive brings to the game,. Believe me it is going to be tough going back to single ended drive once you have heard the emotivas through their balanced inputs.
  Money has been really tight this year. Retirement really cramps your spending money. At present I have pretty much settled on my audio research ls2 mkII preamp for now. Maybe if the money situation improves eventually I still think I may try to borrow a bryston ha-1a balanced headphone amp from my local dealer and try the preamp stage with my stealth 8s. Maybe things might benefit from a more modern preamp design.
  I mentioned before that my audeze lcd2 v2s work admirably with the bryston . If the bryston works as well with my stealth 8s it may be my cup of tea. I am curious because I really do not think that I have heard the potential of my stealth eights so far. I think that my teac ud-501 dsd dac/amp feeding the bryston in balanced fashion which in turn driving my stealth eights in balanced fashion may be the nirvana that I have been seeking without breaking the bank.
   But for now the cost is prohibitive for me. Maybe if I get some money back on next years tax return I maybe will be able to spring for the bryston headphone amp/preamp.
  But getting back to my original point try and borrow a preamp with balanced outputs and some balanced cables. Try your airmotiv sixes in balanced fashion. I think you are going to love what you hear from them. Believe me it is going to tough going back to single ended drive once you have heard balanced drive. Drop me a post.

This would be a great PM.....

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #6,922 of 39,994
rolleyes.gif
 He didn't even offer to bake.....

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #6,928 of 39,994

This is my latest build It is for somebody in Morocco

It uses six 6BL7s for outputs or two or four 6AS7s or two 6336.

It won't be finished until I get back from visiting Stavros.

The amplifier looks fantastic! I am very thankful to Glenn for accepting to build me such an amplifier. 

Also, many thanks to Stavros who has been pointing me to some very interesting 6SN7 tubes while waiting for the amp to be finished. So far, I have ordered a Sylvania 6SNGT VT231 and a Sylvania 6SN7W. I wonder how bad the tube addiction will be when I actually get the amp :)

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #6,930 of 39,994
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back