2359glenn | studio
Jul 17, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #13,786 of 39,986
New tubes have arrived. Taks are on back order with Price Japan, but the EMLs have landed:

Really nice build quality - right up there with the very best that I have seen (Takatsuki). SQ beats the EATs, even with zero hours on them these tubes sound good. The EATs were missing 'body' - a little thin sounding and bright at times. The EMLs are very pleasant. Have some Melody Gardot playing right now and it is making me happy. I had avoided the EML plate 300Bs as I had assumed (wrongly) that they were a similar animal to the EATs that I already have. That assumption was WRONG. Very wrong. Better build quality and, so far, better SQ.

I am kicking myself - hard - in my dangling pink bits for throwing money at the stupid TJ CNE tubes when the EMLs were available - and cheaper. I will take a cheese grater to my nutsac if these EML tubes implode before 100 hours like the craptastic TJs did.

The EML mesh 300B should be back in stock in September - will be getting my hands on those too. Once I have both flavours of EML 300B with a few hundred hours on them I will do some A/B comparison. Might even have the Taks by then for some A/B/C action, but the Taks take forever to burn in (300+ hours).

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #13,789 of 39,986
Nope - standard plate 300B. Thought about the XLS, but it really isn't necessary as my headamp is "light duty" for a 300B. I run my 300Bs @ 60mA - treat em gentle
wink_face.gif

The biggest difference between the EML and EAT is that richness in the vocals - that is missing with the EATs - these EMLs have it. Nice.

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #13,791 of 39,986
  New tubes have arrived. Taks are on back order with Price Japan, but the EMLs have landed:

Really nice build quality - right up there with the very best that I have seen (Takatsuki). SQ beats the EATs, even with zero hours on them these tubes sound good. The EATs were missing 'body' - a little thin sounding and bright at times. The EMLs are very pleasant. Have some Melody Gardot playing right now and it is making me happy. I had avoided the EML plate 300Bs as I had assumed (wrongly) that they were a similar animal to the EATs that I already have. That assumption was WRONG. Very wrong. Better build quality and, so far, better SQ.

I am kicking myself - hard - in my dangling pink bits for throwing money at the stupid TJ CNE tubes when the EMLs were available - and cheaper. I will take a cheese grater to my nutsac if these EML tubes implode before 100 hours like the craptastic TJs did.

The EML mesh 300B should be back in stock in September - will be getting my hands on those too. Once I have both flavours of EML 300B with a few hundred hours on them I will do some A/B comparison. Might even have the Taks by then for some A/B/C action, but the Taks take forever to burn in (300+ hours).

Nice tubes even has cooling fins on the plate

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #13,797 of 39,986

Nice tubes even has cooling fins on the plate

Really pleased with the build quality and the sound quality (so far). Tubes are raw (10 hours on them now) so still a little rough and closed, but a pleasant listen regardless. 100 hours will be the real test for these (according to EML their tubes require 50 to 100 hours burn in).

Also happy with the bias drift - there hasn't been any. I set the bias @ 60mA when I first installed these tubes and tweaked it slightly after about 30 minutes operating after that. Since that first run in it has been rock steady. Only other tubes to do that for me have been the Takatsukis. Another quality sign, I hope.

Going to be fun seeing how close these get to the Taks for SQ. Given that they are about 1/3 the price, the value proposition gets kinda crazy pretty fast.

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #13,798 of 39,986
HEXFRED (For some reason I want to say Hexifreddie! lol) arrived today. Thanks Glenn! :)

From the outside, it is appears to be an octal socket filled full of epoxy (with a rather artistic arrangement of bubbles on top I should add) and it is very solid. Put it in and, of course, it works! But until I have had some time to compare it to my favorites, GEC U18/20 and Cossor 53KU, can't really say how it sounds....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back