2359glenn | studio
Jul 15, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #13,771 of 39,983

Yes I can make SS rectifier substitutes made with HEXFRED rectifiers they are rated at 6 amp 1200 volts.

Wonder if there will be any changes in sound with HEXFRED, are these compatible with PY500A, can you sign me up for a pair too :)

I don't think I can get those 9 pin bases.
Future amps will have SS rectifiers I have found no difference in sound from 42EC4 to the Hexfred diodes.
And all future amps will be self bias no more adjusting bias and meters. Maybe a slight degrade in SQ due to a cathode resistor and bypass capacitor.
This will help stop what happened to Tony when using crappy tubes.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #13,772 of 39,983

Hi Ken
There is one cathode resistor when the two tubes try to draw more current through this resistor the voltage drop across it increases. This raises the negative grid voltage
decreasing the current through the tubes. but the impedance of the output still goes down.

Thanks for the explanation. I figured that the amp was limiting the current but I had no idea how it was doing it.

Yes I can make SS rectifier substitutes made with HEXFRED rectifiers they are rated at 6 amp 1200 volts.

Someday I would like to try one of your HEXFRED rectifiers. It would be interesting to see how it compares to the 5 volt rectifiers I am currently using.

Jul 15, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #13,773 of 39,983

Hi Ken
There is one cathode resistor when the two tubes try to draw more current through this resistor the voltage drop across it increases. This raises the negative grid voltage
decreasing the current through the tubes. but the impedance of the output still goes down.

Thanks for the explanation. I figured that the amp was limiting the current but I had no idea how it was doing it.

Someday I would like to try one of your HEXFRED rectifiers. It would be interesting to see how it compares to the 5 volt rectifiers I am currently using.

OK I will make you one they will cost about $20

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #13,774 of 39,983
Is the instant-on nature of a solid state diode more stressful for the downstream power tube Glenn?

Looking forward to trying mine whenever they are ready.  Let me know what you need from me.

Best case scenario for me would be that the amp sounds the same, only without all the noise and microphonic issues that I just cannot get tackled.  I'm on my 9th pair of 6BY5s now, still can't find a pair that's good.  The pair I thought might work out became microphonic and are introducing noise into the headphones now.

Easy to see why nobody uses the 6BY5 now.  It's because they suck.

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #13,775 of 39,983
  Is the instant-on nature of a solid state diode more stressful for the downstream power tube Glenn?

Looking forward to trying mine whenever they are ready.  Let me know what you need from me.

Best case scenario for me would be that the amp sounds the same, only without all the noise and microphonic issues that I just cannot get tackled.  I'm on my 9th pair of 6BY5s now, still can't find a pair that's good.  The pair I thought might work out became microphonic and are introducing noise into the headphones now.

Easy to see why nobody uses the 6BY5 now.  It's because they suck.

Not really if a amp uses a 5U4 it is pretty much instant on.
Actually the 6BY5 have a good rep.
The SS tubes are $20 each plus $8 shipping

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #13,776 of 39,983
Hi Glenn, could I get in on that SS substitute action? I would want to order 4 and shipping to NZ (assuming you can do a PY500 SS substitute).

Having a failed PY500 take out my home power supply wasn't much fun.

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #13,777 of 39,983
Glenn said he did not think he could get them in the 9 pin bases.

Sounds like they sound pretty much the same as 42EC4/PY500.

Maybe, I am misunderstanding him, though.

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #13,779 of 39,983
Searched around a bit and can't find 9-pin tube base.  Look like a good candidate for 3D printing.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #13,781 of 39,983
Glenn, does that mean the test adapter for me is on hold too?

Will these work?
https://reverb.com/uk/item/1025992-vacuum-tube-socket-saver-9-pin

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #13,783 of 39,983

Hi Ken
I will be shipping the SS to 5U4 adapter tomorrow Monday.
Let me know how you like the sound?  I think they sound as good or better then the best rectifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back