2359glenn | studio
Nov 2, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #12,196 of 39,998
  Just one hour of use and the 300b amp is couple of notches above the OTL.  The only weak link is my source now.  Sony dac feed by smartphone usb as source.  Still the music is more detailed.  Love how the vocals are romanticized by it.  Lows are more controlled.  Highs are good too but a bit soft.  Overall it's very good but I need more time and use better components to hear what it can really do.  Here's a couple of pics.  

The amp looks really nice but you need to put a hello kitty on either side of it I think. 
wink.gif
But seriously - nice looking amp would really like to hear it and more about your impressions.

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #12,197 of 39,998
  The amp looks really nice but you need to put a hello kitty on either side of it I think. 
wink.gif
But seriously - nice looking amp would really like to hear it and more about your impressions.

X2 on hello kitty

X10 on your impressions of the new amp!

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #12,199 of 39,998
  So what's good with a Glenn's amp?  Pizza of course.  I don't have to tell you Glenn where this from.

We know the amp sounds great...I want a review of that NY pizza!!

(it looks like you were ready to steal a slice while you were driving it home)

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #12,200 of 39,998
My wife makes killer pizza, though not New Your style.  Its a little thicker:

This is my favorite of her's.  Spinach/Ricotta with of course mozzarella on top.  I'm so glad I got her that pizza atone...

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #12,201 of 39,998
I present a Raytheon 5694. 

The Raytheon 5694 is very similar to the ECC32 and was considered to be interchangeable with the ECC32 in most applications. In the same way that the ECC32 is a modified ECC31, common cathode to separate cathodes, the 5694 is a modified 6N7G. I came across some chatter on the net where one poster felt it was better than the ECC32, so I decided to give one a try. Unfortunately, back in the day, the 5694, with its non-standard pin-out, was never a very popular tube and not all that many were made. This makes them rather tough to find, but fortunately, when they do pop up, they are not expensive. After searching high and low I was able to find only this one tube.

As I don't have an ECC32, I compared it to an ECC31, and consider the 5694 to be just as good, but as one would expect, with a slightly different tonal balance. The major difference is the Mullard is a bit warmer, with a seductively sweet and smooth midrange and a slightly recessed presentation, the classic Mullard sound. Whereas, the Raytheon has less warmth, with a crystal clear midrange and a slightly forward presention, the classic Raytheon sound. Both have a deep extended bass with good body, detail and slam.

At this point in time, I cannot say that I prefer one over the other and I am thrilled to have both. :)

Question?
Which adapter are you using. Ecc31 to ecc33?
Thanks

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #12,207 of 39,998
I'm impress what these Chinese 300b Valve Art tubes can do for what I paid for.  Not in the same level as the Avvt but very close.   These are very good, clear tones, little less microphonic than the Avvt, instruments separation is quite good.  The Avvt still reign in the soundstage dept and bass. But these Valve Art are not that far behind.  Mids and highs are not as crisp as the Avvt but again it's close.  More mellow sound than the Avvt.  I think if I can get these cheap enough I'll get a second backup.  KR and EML in next couple of days.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #12,208 of 39,998
  I'm impress what these Chinese 300b Valve Art tubes can do for what I paid for.  Not in the same level as the Avvt but very close.   These are very good, clear tones, little less microphonic than the Avvt, instruments separation is quite good.  The Avvt still reign in the soundstage dept and bass. But these Valve Art are not that far behind.  Mids and highs are not as crisp as the Avvt but again it's close.  More mellow sound than the Avvt.  I think if I can get these cheap enough I'll get a second backup.  KR and EML in next couple of days.

That's a nice looking amp. Hope to get my hands on my Glenn 300B in the next few weeks (build in progress). Have a pair of TA300Bs to put in it - those are expensive tubes, but the SQ and build quality backs up the price IMHO. I can't say the same about some other high end 300Bs I have tried - good tubes, but way over priced for the performance level.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #12,209 of 39,998
Can't wait for you to get yours Tony, because that will mean I'm next :).
Don't have TA300B (yet), but I have SERP, Elrog, and WE300B to play with.  
Recently got myself HE-1000 to complement the HD800, can't wait to give them a try on Glenn 300B.

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #12,210 of 39,998
  Can't wait for you to get yours Tony, because that will mean I'm next :).
Don't have TA300B (yet), but I have SERP, Elrog, and WE300B to play with.
Recently got myself HE-1000 to complement the HD800, can't wait to give them a try on Glenn 300B.

I have the SERPs. Good tubes. A little dark with good extension and detail. Doesn't have the mid range magic of the TA300B. Perhaps a little over priced at $1200 USD - the Taks are only a little more cash and are a much better tube IMHO. All the detail and extension of the SERPs combined with mid range magic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back