2359glenn | studio
Jul 14, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #10,156 of 39,994
Beautiful amp.....just beautiful

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #10,157 of 39,994
  Beautiful amp.....just beautiful

Its called TOTO (short for TOTL OTL)
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #10,158 of 39,994
  Has anyone tried a 5687 as a driver in their OTL? This tube is most notably used in the Audio Note Ongaku along with the 211 and 6072. To my eyes at least, with an adapter, it looks like this tube should work....

Yes, I tested this a long time ago with an adapter Glenn made for me.  It sounds good, like a good 6SN7, but not necessarily better.  I can refresh my memory on the subject if you'd like.

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #10,159 of 39,994
  Yes, I tested this a long time ago with an adapter Glenn made for me.  It sounds good, like a good 6SN7, but not necessarily better.  I can refresh my memory on the subject if you'd like.

As good as a good 6SN7 is certainly not bad. :)  Do you happen to remember which brand(s) you tried? As 5687 can often be found fairly cheaply, I might try a few. Thanks!

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #10,161 of 39,994
Waiting to see how parbaked's wonder amp by Glenn will look like. Actually, wanting to hear it.

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #10,163 of 39,994

As good as a good 6SN7 is certainly not bad. :)  Do you happen to remember which brand(s) you tried? As 5687 can often be found fairly cheaply, I might try a few. Thanks!

It's a Tung Sol.  I put it back in tonight.  A fairly different sound from the Brimar 13D1 that's been in the amp for ages now, but it holds its own.  Has a hint of sweetness in the vocals like what I would expect from a Sylvania actually.

I think these have a little bit more gain than a 6SN7 so expect a slight increase in tranny hum depending upon the headphones you are using.

Somebody with the cathode mod needs to try running an all 5998 configuration, including the driver position.  The lower gain would take the noise floor down to inaudible and unless the 5998 is inherently higher distortion than a 6SN7 it should sound really good in theory.  Pretty sure there is enough headroom on the power tranny to do this.  If I get bored I might try it myself.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #10,164 of 39,994

It's a Tung Sol.  I put it back in tonight.  A fairly different sound from the Brimar 13D1 that's been in the amp for ages now, but it holds its own.  Has a hint of sweetness in the vocals like what I would expect from a Sylvania actually.

I think these have a little bit more gain than a 6SN7 so expect a slight increase in tranny hum depending upon the headphones you are using.

Somebody with the cathode mod needs to try running an all 5998 configuration, including the driver position.  The lower gain would take the noise floor down to inaudible and unless the 5998 is inherently higher distortion than a 6SN7 it should sound really good in theory.  Pretty sure there is enough headroom on the power tranny to do this.  If I get bored I might try it myself.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. :)

I hope to have several different brands of 5687 on their way to me shortly. And according to the manufacturer's datasheet, both the 5687 and 6SN7 (and 13D1, as well) have a gain of about 20, so in that regard, they should be about the same.

And since my OTL is still somewhere in Glenn's queue, I will have to leave it to others to try an all-5998 configuration.

Cheers

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #10,165 of 39,994
I was struck by how grain free the 5687 sounded last night.  It doesn't capture the note decay and micro details quite like the Brimar, but it was very easy to listen deep into the music.  Lush without sounding overtly colored, with clear upfront vocals.  I think that might have been the most enjoyable listening session I've ever had with my Beyers.  I plan to leave the tube in the amp for a while now..... not sure why I didn't give it more of a chance originally.  The fact that it pairs well with the DT880s means it might not have the right synergy for darker headphones though.  A listening test with the LCD-2s is probably warranted.

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #10,166 of 39,994
  I was struck by how grain free the 5687 sounded last night.  It doesn't capture the note decay and micro details quite like the Brimar, but it was very easy to listen deep into the music.  Lush without sounding overtly colored, with clear upfront vocals.  I think that might have been the most enjoyable listening session I've ever had with my Beyers.  I plan to leave the tube in the amp for a while now..... not sure why I didn't give it more of a chance originally.  The fact that it pairs well with the DT880s means it might not have the right synergy for darker headphones though.  A listening test with the LCD-2s is probably warranted.

You still use that old OTL one of the first

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #10,168 of 39,994

You still use that old OTL one of the first

Of course.  It's a great amp and will always be worth using.

I've discovered over time that Kanade needs to be on for a long time, like 3 hours or more, to really sound good.  The difference between warmed up and not warmed up is much greater than with other amps I have had, so you sort of have to "make a date" with her ahead of time and some days I can't accommodate that.

I would say both amps get used about equally.

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #10,169 of 39,994

Of course.  It's a great amp and will always be worth using.

I've discovered over time that Kanade needs to be on for a long time, like 3 hours or more, to really sound good.  The difference between warmed up and not warmed up is much greater than with other amps I have had, so you sort of have to "make a date" with her ahead of time and some days I can't accommodate that.

I would say both amps get used about equally.

I could see Kanade demanding this of you with eloquence and deservedly so. And when time permits, well worth the extra ceremonial steps taken.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #10,170 of 39,994

I might guess Kanade = 奏で ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back