2359glenn | studio
Oct 30, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #961 of 39,983
Due to essential matters, the listening room has been dark for the last estimated 10 days. In-session this morning for an hour or two. This weekend, will settle back in and get more impressions from my NOS Sylvania 3DG4 rec.

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #962 of 39,983
Glenn suggested I ask this question in this thread: has anyone used low impedance IEM's with Glenn's amp?  I know the general rule of thumb is that OTL amps shouldn't be used with low impedance headphones, but I had success using my JH16s some years ago with a now-defunct Singlepower Extreme.  Has anyone tried an IEM with Glenn's amp?  Was there a lot of tube hiss or noise?  Was the sound rolled off?  Thanks.

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #963 of 39,983
Quote:
Glenn suggested I ask this question in this thread: has anyone used low impedance IEM's with Glenn's amp?  I know the general rule of thumb is that OTL amps shouldn't be used with low impedance headphones, but I had success using my JH16s some years ago with a now-defunct Singlepower Extreme.  Has anyone tried an IEM with Glenn's amp?  Was there a lot of tube hiss or noise?  Was the sound rolled off?  Thanks.

No. But, I can try this out with my Shure E3C's and report back. This might take awhile, as I may not get seated inside the listening room until right 'round Midnight.

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #964 of 39,983
Quote:

Can you remember what tubes you used?

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #965 of 39,983
Quote:

No. But, I can try this out with my Shure E3C's and report back. This might take awhile, as I may not get seated inside the listening room until right 'round Midnight.

Thanks a lot.  Your help is much appreciated.

Quote:

The Singlepower Extreme used a 6SN7 input tube and two 6AS7/6080/5998 output tubes.  Does the selection of tubes affect noise from an OTL amp?

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #966 of 39,983
I have two SP Extremes as we speak, the SQ is affected both by the driver and output tubes (70/30 to 60/40 ratio).
I never tried any IEMs with them yet, but I am happy with both Low and High impedance headphones.

One of the differences is that SP uses SS rectification but Glenn's amps use a tube rectifier.

Nov 1, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #967 of 39,983
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks a lot.  Your help is much appreciated.

Quote:

The Singlepower Extreme used a 6SN7 input tube and two 6AS7/6080/5998 output tubes.  Does the selection of tubes affect noise from an OTL amp?

First, I'd like to wish you a speedy return to normalcy in The Big Apple.

It's just minutes before 0400 hours on the West coast - I fell a bit behind with events - just finished my brief trial with the IEM's. Current tubes in play: Sylvania 3DG4 rec; TS-5998 power; TS-BGRP VT231 drive. The Tung-Sol 5998's are not normally quiet, so there's a bit of a hum. I do not hear it once I edge the volume slightly higher from Zero. Main cans are the Zeus re-cabled D7000 xlr balanced @ 25 ohms, with a sensitivity of 108 db/mW.

When I swap out the TS-5998's for the Russian 6AS7's, things are quiet. My Shure E3c's @ 26 ohm have a sensitivity of 115 db/mW - I have both hum/hiss with both power tube sets. Can be masked at low volume but it is there. Hope this helps but could very well be IEM dependent.  

In short, not a lot of tube hum and hiss but noticeable. Only listened for 30 seconds but the presentation did not sound rolled-off or not enough to derail the presentation. Would need a closer inspection.

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #968 of 39,983
OTL Output Impedance --

Glenn, I was wondering if you got around to measuring the Output impedance from wotts' amp?
popcorn.gif

Thanks.

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #969 of 39,983
Quote:

When I swap out the TS-5998's for the Russian 6AS7's, things are quiet. My Shure E3c's @ 26 ohm have a sensitivity of 115 db/mW - I have both hum/hiss with both power tube sets. Can be masked at low volume but it is there. Hope this helps but could very well be IEM dependent.  

In short, not a lot of tube hum and hiss but noticeable. Only listened for 30 seconds but the presentation did not sound rolled-off or not enough to derail the presentation. Would need a closer inspection.

Silent One, thanks for the good wishes and the experiment you did with your Shure IEM's.  The amp is very appealing.  I will place an order for it.

Nov 1, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #970 of 39,983
Quote:
Quote:

Silent One, thanks for the good wishes and the experiment you did with your Shure IEM's.  The amp is very appealing.  I will place an order for it.

You're welcome 
smiley_thumb.gif
, minimus. Looking forward to having you in the family.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #971 of 39,983
I had Russian 6as7g hums when new. they usually quite. GEC are very quite, even there is noise when shaken by hand. Only time my GEC made noise is right before one died
frown.gif
. But that one made one channel sound dimmer for long time before it popped.

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #973 of 39,983
Quote:
I had Russian 6as7g hums when new. they usually quite. GEC are very quite, even there is noise when shaken by hand. Only time my GEC made noise is right before one died
frown.gif
. But that one made one channel sound dimmer for long time before it popped.

The Russian 6AS7G tubes I have are so quiet 
tongue_smile.gif
 I'm suspicious!

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #974 of 39,983

Users who are viewing this thread

Back