2359glenn | studio
Apr 22, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #9,466 of 39,998
This is bad, imagine Glenn sucking on those while soldering parts for a amp.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #9,470 of 39,998
Greetings,

I am pleased to announce that I am now on track to becoming a full-fledged member of the Glenn OTL Club. :)

And I would like to add, that while this is my first post, I have in fact read all 600+ pages, and have been amazed to read about so much food and to witness such remarkable friendship.

Like many on Head-Fi, my tube journey starts with a Little Dot, an LD 1+ hybrid, in my case. Not satisfied with the recommended tubes, last year a number of us in the Little Dot forum decided to try everything and anything that looked like it might work, to see if we could find some better tubes. To make a long story short, through the use of a very crude mod, I am now rolling double triodes: 6DJ8, 2C51, ECC40, E80CC and, of course, 6SN7. And just recently, I have been listening to a pair of C3g.

At this point in time, even though I think this little $100 amp is sounding great, I think I have ridden it as far as I can.  And so recently, I have been wondering how good these tubes might sound in an OTL tube amp that has been carefully and deliberately designed to run them from the getgo. And I am about to find out. :)

Cheers

Edit: correct spelling

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #9,471 of 39,998
  Greetings,

I am pleased to announce that I am now on track to becoming a full-fledged member of the Glenn OTL Club. :)

And I would like to add, that while this is my first post, I have in fact read all 600+ pages, and have been amazed to read about so much food and to witness such remarkable friendship.

Like many on Head-Fi, my tube journey starts with a Little Dot, an LD 1+ hybrid, in my case. Not satisfied with the recommended tubes, last year a number of us in the Little Dot forum decided to try everything and anything that looked like it might work, to see if we could find some better tubes. To make a long story short, through the use of a very crude mod, I am now rolling double triodes: 6DJ8, 2C51, ECC40, E80CC and, of course, 6SN7. And just recently, I have been listening to a pair of C3g.

At this point in time, even though I think this little $100 amp is sounding great, I think I have ridden it as far as I can.  And so recently, I have been wondering how good these tubes might sound in an OTL tube amp that has been carefully and deliberately designed to run them from the getgo. And I am about to find out. :)

Cheers

Edit: correct spelling

Nice hacks...gotta get myself that 6.3V digital readout

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #9,473 of 39,998
  I wonder what the piece is in the background to the right with an analog face dial...
popcorn.gif

That is an old McIntosh 1700 Reciever from the early 1970's. I am told it was their first hybrid, with SS output and tubes in the pre amp and tuner. It hasn't been turned on in over 20 years and is in need of some TLC....

Apr 23, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #9,477 of 39,998
I was only referring to the Mullard U52..................and Ultra's lollipops.............

So there's still some hope for me.

Hi Gibosi, welcome on board!!!!!
You've done some great work with the LD, lot's of fun.

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #9,479 of 39,998
You are most welcome.
I have thoroughly enjoyed your work.

This is a great thread too.

Sometimes we get a little carried away but still learn a lot.

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #9,480 of 39,998

Users who are viewing this thread

Back