2359glenn | studio
Feb 13, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #8,416 of 39,998

They will have lower internal capacitance to ground with the shield removed so the might have a better high end. But more likely to pick up more Hum and noise with the shield removed.

I haven't experienced any issues thus far.  The C3g I stripped are quiet and noise/hum free.  The only noise I have ever heard inside the headphones has been from misbehaving 45 tubes.  One of my Sylvanias likes to make what I can only describe as farting sounds. 

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #8,417 of 39,998
Btw, David, congrats on your listening room.  Very impressive.  Hurts to look at it a little bit I must say.  As an apartment dweller I can't do the things with speakers I really want to do.

You need a sexier name for the 300B than GAPE though.  If I dare say so I think I did a better job naming my 45 amp. 

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #8,418 of 39,998
Nice to know, how difficult to remove the shield?

It's tedious, but not all that difficult.  Trickiest part is finding something with a thin enough edge to wedge between the seam where the aluminum joins together.  I used a pocket knife blade.  The glass does not make physical contact with the shield so there is not nearly as much danger of breaking the glass as you might initially think.  When the two halves of the shield finally pop apart after all the prying it finally makes sense.

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #8,419 of 39,998
Shield removal~

Send Yamamoto-san an email inquiry. He replies quite quickly. He routinely removes the shield for his Siemens C3m tubes... 

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #8,420 of 39,998

That said, it was Dave's unbelievable speaker stereo which was the real treat. Very few have ever heard music reproduced in their home this well. It was astonishing.

really nice amplifier

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #8,423 of 39,998
Fantastic listening room David, very nice gear.

Pleased you had a good time with Rob.

Happy Listening my friend.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #8,424 of 39,998

Amazing coverage on dminches' amazing journey!
beerchug.gif

After seeing your wonderful room, I immediately picked-up my mobile and scrolled to "Reminders":

NotifyMe2-1.jpg

And purged every single entry... to give hearing your room top priority!

- A Southern Pie for the Mrs.
- French bubbly for dminches
- Comfortable clothing
ksc75smile.gif

SO
You come to the east cost (Philly) I will start driving north and meet you there.
I plan on driving there to see Dave and get some Pizza anyway

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #8,427 of 39,998
I just got back from my tube guy. Spent over an hour in his warehouse looking for some nice tubes...and found them!

Then the misses started to complain so we left. Clean up time and then pics!

Stavros. The bendix list does not stop at 5....

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #8,429 of 39,998

SO
You come to the east cost (Philly) I will start driving north and meet you there.
I plan on driving there to see Dave and get some Pizza anyway

beerchug.gif

Great! Except one tiny little thing....

... I'm a BIG chicken....er Rooster from SoCal who can't take the cold. Wanna wait till the weather warms? 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back