2359glenn | studio
Jul 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #3,766 of 39,998
I am not looking,  I am not looking..........
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #3,768 of 39,998
Quote:
Glenn I got this nice RCA (which are one of my all time favourites) 1633 NIB pair 1948 vintage for $19.99.

An equivalent pair in 6SN7 (which sounds the same) would cost much more.

It's just that my tube addiction has expanded vertically and horizontally with my GR Super 10!

Glenn my 14 year old niece told me I am too fat and I am not allowed any ice cream, to eat or even look at.........

I know been bad making you a amp that can use so many different tubes but it was fun to make and sounds good.

How can she call you fat after seeing me. Does she know you have L's strawberry jam to put on top of the ice cream.

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #3,769 of 39,998
Quote:
Then have a look at this massive 150amp/6 channel vacuum rectifier valve:

normal_rectifier_tube_150_amp_6_phase.jpg

They come bigger then that The New York subway system used Mercury vapor rectifiers to change
3 phase 660 volts to DC for the trains they replaced the inefficient motor generators that were originally used,
They were still in use not that long ago but are all replaced with large SS rectifiers now.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #3,770 of 39,998
Like these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q89SV_UwykQ

They come bigger then that The New York subway system used Mercury vapor rectifiers to change
3 phase 660 volts to DC for the trains they replaced the inefficient motor generators that were originally used,
They were still in use not that long ago but are all replaced with large SS rectifiers now.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #3,771 of 39,998
You can still find videos of the Mercury vapor rectifiers used in train stations on the web. They are bright, noisy and have a big cooling fan. Those tubes gives me the impression that they will blow up any minute.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #3,772 of 39,998
Quote:

And to think, I use to ride all 130 miles of subway tracks in NYC and had no idea what lurked beneath! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #3,773 of 39,998
Glenn, can you make adapters for those Mercury vapor rectifiers to fit in your monomonos? I wonder if I can find two NOS on ebay. :wink:

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #3,774 of 39,998
Quote:

I know been bad making you a amp that can use so many different tubes but it was fun to make and sounds good.

How can she call you fat after seeing me. Does she know you have L's strawberry jam to put on top of the ice cream.

Now you're hurting my feelings, I can't reveal ALL my secrets!!!!!!!
Somehow she found out.......I have no place to hide now.

Quote:
Glenn, can you make adapters for those Mercury vapor rectifiers to fit in your monomonos? I wonder if I can find two NOS on ebay. :wink:

I am sure he can!

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #3,776 of 39,998
I can see the Big Russian at the back, with great difficulty as I can't get past the chocolate!!!!

This is very distracting Clayton and tempting and I am on a diet and I can't have any sweets........I am not allowed.

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #3,777 of 39,998
Quote:
I can see the Big Russian at the back, with great difficulty as I can't get past the chocolate!!!!

This is very distracting Clayton and tempting and I am on a diet and I can't have any sweets........I am not allowed.

Well if you keep to your diet, in a year when Ultra- and I come knocking on your door in Greece, you'll be able to eat all the sweets you want, then. Look out!

We must all plan ahead! Glenn, you too!

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #3,778 of 39,998
I am on tube withdrawal for 2 weeks at the Scout Jamboree....JH16's and iPod Mini...I can roll down the trail.....:)

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #3,779 of 39,998
Quote:
Well if you keep to your diet, in a year when Ultra- and I come knocking on your door in Greece, you'll be able to eat all the sweets you want, then. Look out!

We must all plan ahead! Glenn, you too!

Great positive thinking, I like it.

Meantime how often can I be naughty until then?

BTW there'll be no tube or amp talk when we meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

• domi
Back