2359glenn | studio
Dec 2, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #34,501 of 39,986
Try buying NOS pair of KT66 or EL34... $300 for a pair would sound like a bargain! :astonished:

Yup, a pair of Philips XF2 EL34 should only cost $2-250, I have seen clear glass GEC KT66 for $250 a pair. But smoked glass GEC KT66 and metal base Philips EL34 will run you $500, even more for GEC KT77 if you can find a NOS pair. Several markets for these tubes, two-channel stereo amps, guitar amps, and now headphone amps, so demand is very high! Gotta pay for the best I'm afraid.

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #34,502 of 39,986
While these crazy tubes sound great, you do have to pay for it. Not being used in headphone amps, but tube amp DIYers know how good they are...I was talking to one the other day who called the REN904 his absolute favorite indirectly heated preamp tube.

My cheapest pair are East German RWN Neuhaus, think I paid around $70 for them. Most expensive pair I just bought the other day, but I could not resist. Similar to Glenn's but slightly different bias point, they are Philips E424N. I have made a friend of an Italian tube seller, but shipping from Italy is bonkers expensive.

At some point, I would like to get a pair of sought-after British Mazda AC/HL. These two pairs sold the other day, around $300 USD a pair, yikes! But so purdy.

When you think about it not bad for a pair of tubes that sound as good as a ECC32 or B65.
I am totally surprised at how good my system sounds with these tubes as the preamp.

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #34,503 of 39,986
When you think about it not bad for a pair of tubes that sound as good as a ECC32 or B65.
I am totally surprised at how good my system sounds with these tubes as the preamp.

You're right, for competing with the best tubes out there the price is not crazy, and you can get nice pairs for around $100 from independent tube sellers. Lots of different flavors too, and still available since they are not being featured in off-the-shelf amps.

I think these are special tubes. Earlier I was comparing the Marconi MH4 and Mullard NR52, have distinctly different sound, the Marconi's are more balanced, the Mullards are warm with nice thick bass, very spacious. And that's in a 6SN7 socket with an adapter.

IMAG1428-2.jpg

If you wanted to take the craziness even further, could try out French PTT100 or Siemens Bi, equivalent tubes but would need a G7K to B5 adapter. My French tube seller recommended to me the Radiotechnique PTT100, but those Siemens tubes are extremely rare.

s-l1600.jpg bi_4.jpg

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #34,504 of 39,986
And that's in a 6SN7 socket with an adapter.
Wait...I thought you did away with your 6SN7 socket? Man I cant keep up with your tube adventures! Im just getting into 6/12J5s and now I have to research these as well?

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #34,505 of 39,986
Wait...I thought you did away with your 6SN7 socket? Man I cant keep up with your tube adventures! Im just getting into 6/12J5s and now I have to research these as well?

Lol sorry D, the 6/12J5s are really better for the GOTL and are great tubes, these ones are pretty exotic. They have 4V filaments, so the only way to use them in the GOTL is with an adapter with resistors built in and they are nowhere close to being correctly biased, really not ideal. I only had the adapter made by Deyan to see what they sound like before committing to a dedicated amp for them, sort of an experimental thing.

I still have the 6SN7 socket, got rid of the C3g and replaced those with 6J5 sockets. I still use the 6SN7 socket for the ECC32 and a few of my favorite 6SN7 like the Fivre black plate.

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #34,506 of 39,986
Well thats good to hear cuz cables are my latest wallet drain.
Thank you to @Zachik for sending me his Equinox 7 RCAs to include in my upcoming RCA shootout video.
If anyone else has a pair of RCAs that they would like to be included in the video,send me a PM. You will be without them for approx 2-4 weeks.

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #34,507 of 39,986
Well thats good to hear cuz cables are my latest wallet drain.
Thank you to @Zachik for sending me his Equinox 7 RCAs to include in my upcoming RCA shootout video.
If anyone else has a pair of RCAs that they would like to be included in the video,send me a PM. You will be without them for approx 2-4 weeks.

I can send you this RCA cable...probably have five more like it around the house. I will send them all to you postage paid, but only if you promise to do a careful A-B of every single one and feature them in the video, those are my terms.......:ksc75smile:

IMAG1431.jpg

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #34,508 of 39,986
I can send you this RCA cable...probably have five more like it around the house. I will send them all to you postage paid, but only if you promise to do a careful A-B of every single one and feature them in the video, those are my terms.......:ksc75smile:

Um, how are you going to live without those cables for 2-4 weeks?

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #34,509 of 39,986
Um, how are you going to live without those cables for 2-4 weeks?

I'll find a way, for science!!! These cables might be too premium for Monster's video though, don't want to make his other cables obsolete on first listen.

Dec 2, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #34,511 of 39,986

My gosh,I have several just like those! What are the odds?!?

Dec 2, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #34,512 of 39,986

Won't be a fair shootout, unless they're in the same price range of $20 to $900... and I think those are NOT within that range! :wink:

Dec 2, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #34,513 of 39,986
BTW, I have never heard of an amp throwing up, but plug this thing to the GOTL - and we might have a first... :dizzy_face:

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #34,514 of 39,986
My gosh,I have several just like those! What are the odds?!?

Sometimes the best audio gear is right under your nose...attached to a broken, dusty, VCR from the early 90s.

Won't be a fair shootout, unless they're in the same price range of $20 to $900... and I think those are NOT within that range! :wink:

You're right, it wouldn't be fair...these probably go for $2K+ easy. Pretty sure I read the sleeving is made of congealed dragons' blood, but I might have misread.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #34,515 of 39,986
Greetings All. I have posted on this thread a few times and follow religiously. I enjoy the passion and appreciate the knowledge you all are willing to share. I went a little crazy on Black Friday and now find myself in need of a quad of 2A3. I would appreciate opinions on new and NOS options of all vintages. I would also appreciate options for trusted sellers. I had the option for the KR 2A3 HP but domestic prices were crazy. I found the same tubes for nearly 45% off at either Banzai Music or Tube Amp Doctor in Germany. Is anyone familiar with these sellers? I know 2A3 is not much discussed here but hope someone has knowledge to share. I don't want to the derail the thread so PM me with your suggestions. Appreciate all your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back