2359glenn | studio
Oct 16, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #33,001 of 39,994
Sounds like you are surrounded by fabulous amplification. But we need a tie-breaker. Which one has the most beautiful sockets?

That’s an unfair question. If GOTL has the same premium price as a new WA22, then it will have just as good sockets and chassis. :)

Another thing one is a SET amp the other OTL. So it’s apples to orange comparison but the fact they are on equal footing in terms of SQ says something.

All I can say is Berlin will have the best sockets. :)

Oct 16, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #33,003 of 39,994
Berlin has some serious competition when it shows up. It will need to walk in the room with the best looking sockets possible, and make the competition jealous :).

And also the best transformers!!! Remember the transformers?

Optimus Prime and Bumberbee :)

Oct 16, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #33,004 of 39,994
That’s an unfair question. If GOTL has the same premium price as a new WA22, then it will have just as good sockets and chassis. :)

Another thing one is a SET amp the other OTL. So it’s apples to orange comparison but the fact they are on equal footing in terms of SQ says something.

The WA-22 is not a SET it is a push pull amp not single ended.

Oct 16, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #33,005 of 39,994

Hi UT, glad you're finding the best WA22 has to offer, and enjoying it so much. Appreciate the ongoing comparisons, good to hear from someone who has the GOTL.

Point well taken about the price differential.
So, what I'm hearing is that WA can produce an amp that sounds as good as the GOTL... For TWICE the price!
Still, that is great for both WA22 owners and the industry as a whole.
Fact is, we are all aware that Glenn offers fantastic value that few amp builders can match.

Apples to oranges, and all is fair in love and war, and amplifier reviews, sure why not?
Wonder what a Glenn OTL would sound like at that price point.

Would like to hear your impressions on how the two sound side by side with drivers that, IMHO, really shine in the GOTL. (No disrespect to the EL32 of course.)
Respecting the current limitations of the WA22, that would include at least up to 950mA, which is the heater current for the WA22 officially compatible ECC32.
Any chance? A run with ECC32s or 6N7s?

(BTW, assuming it's safe to use those 6BX7s in WA22, drawing 3A per channel rather than the official 2.5A. Guessing someone checked with Woo.)

Thanks, UT, keep the impressions coming.:)

Oct 16, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #33,006 of 39,994
The WA-22 is not a SET it is a push pull amp not single ended.

DC current is cancelled in the output stage...correct ? Less distortion ?

Oct 16, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #33,007 of 39,994
DC current is cancelled in the output stage...correct ? Less distortion ?

Yes and no. The DC magnetizing current gets canceled so the output transformer don't need a air gap so it don't get
magnetized limiting the bass. But a push pull amp can have crossover distortion it if the two half's of the signal are not
exactly the same. And no two tubes amplify exactly the same not even the two half's of the same 6AS7.
I personally like the sound of single ended better. The signal is not split into two opposites then put back together
in the output transformer.
Usually push pull amps make much more power
But this is debatable and I don't want to start a uproar .

Oct 16, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #33,008 of 39,994
In my experience with rectifiers and #27 triodes, the tonal difference is very subtle. And since I am not in a position to make blind comparisons, I am not sure if what I am hearing is entirely due to my expectations -- they are "supposed" to sound better! lol. So I wouldn't encourage anyone to pay a premium for mesh plates. But for sure, they look nice. :)

Thanks! I'll keep this in mind, don't want to overpay for subtle differences (but I just might overpay for beauty differences :)).

When my amp is built I will probably lose my mind at some point and get a mesh RGN2504, we'll see if I can stave off the tube crazies.

Oct 16, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #33,009 of 39,994
@2359glenn sent payment for the rectifier and adapter today.
I also received a NOS Brimar 5Z4GY yesterday,which cannot be used in the GOTL. Its warmer and richer sounding vs. the TS Potato Masher I had in my DAC previously .Very nice improvement.

Oct 16, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #33,010 of 39,994
Thanks! I'll keep this in mind, don't want to overpay for subtle differences (but I just might overpay for beauty differences :)).

When my amp is built I will probably lose my mind at some point and get a mesh RGN2504, we'll see if I can stave off the tube crazies.

Forget it you can't stave off tube craziness. Look how much I spent on REN904s and I don't even know how they sound yet.
This is no win just lose lose your money but it is fun. And I have been doing this for 50 years now and still have no self control.

About mesh plate rectifiers they look great but usually can't handle as much current as a solid plate

Oct 16, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #33,012 of 39,994
This is news to me !

Woo used to market it as a balanced amp of course it is all push pull amps are balanced just most don't have a balanced input.
Signal goes in single ended then goes to a phase inverter making it balanced in most push pull amps.
I upgraded WA-22s in the past and they were surely were push pull amps.

Oct 16, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #33,013 of 39,994
Doin' the 'mordy' and going out to speakers...

With my BALANCED->OTL->SET->SEXY-TRANSFORMER'ED->DAC-LESS->TURNTABLE->SOURCE->SELF

And lemme tell ya...6x 6BX7 Special issue red base Triple Mica'd Sylvania-GEc powers LOVE the RCA 1633!!

EPL60089.JPG

The house is Rockin'!!

:)

Oct 16, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #33,014 of 39,994
Woo used to market it as a balanced amp of course it is all push pull amps are balanced just most don't have a balanced input.
Signal goes in single ended then goes to a phase inverter making it balanced in most push pull amps.
I upgraded WA-22s in the past and they were surely were push pull amps.

Interesting. So you upgraded WA22 in the past.

My WA22 has xlr input as well as rca input. From my DAC Yggdrasil I have an xlr cable output to the xlr input of the WA22. I was told by the previous owner that this makes it balanced - of course my headphone cable are terminated with xlr connectors.

So is this balanced ?

Oct 16, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #33,015 of 39,994
Interesting. So you upgraded WA22 in the past.

My WA22 has xlr input as well as rca input. From my DAC Yggdrasil I have an xlr cable output to the xlr input of the WA22. I was told by the previous owner that this makes it balanced - of course my headphone cable are terminated with xlr connectors.

So is this balanced ?

I guess if you want to call it that.
To me it is no longer balanced after the two out of phase signals are put back together in the output transformer.
I am not getting into this argument. It is all a marketing thing that Peale be leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back