2359glenn | studio
Oct 15, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #32,987 of 39,986
Do you have a super special Aussie version of the Yggdrasil??? Cause as far as I know they only have 1 set of XLR outs (including mine). :stuck_out_tongue:

I immediately thought of "The Dish" when you posted that, but it's in New South Wales.

I was testing to see if anyone notice that error. You’re the only one to spot it. :ksc75smile:

The Dish or Parkes Observatory in NSW ... I wasn’t even aware of that but now I do thanks to you. How did you know The Dish?

Oct 16, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #32,989 of 39,986
I was testing to see if anyone notice that error. You’re the only one to spot it. :ksc75smile:

The Dish or Parkes Observatory in NSW ... I wasn’t even aware of that but now I do thanks to you. How did you know The Dish?

Love that film. Seen it several times. I'm actually quite fond of a lot of Australian cinema.

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #32,990 of 39,986
Because I'm following JV's lead, there is a Ken Rad metal 6N7 incoming, adapters for 6N7s as well as EL32's to C3g in the works, EL32's are here, and we'll see about what powers to run with this. Fun times!!!
@JazzVinyl and GDGuss,

For me personally I prefer the metal RCA over the Ken-Rad 6N7's. Not guaranteeing this will translate the same on a Glenn amp having used it on my Euforia, but I do believe both amps are properly biased for 6N7's anyway. For me the Ken-Rad's sounded overtly lush / tubey and the RCA's with a superb... fantastic and thunderous bass control and definition, and more SS like / transparent. However it was a long road finding a perfectly functional / balanced pair of those RCA metal black 6N7's. I eventually isolated a modest 'rustling' sound I got with these tubes down to slight defects or age of individual tubes and after 3 pairs I finally found a pristine perfectly matched and perfectly silent combination and I'm quite happy with this pair. It seems that the slightly newer RCA 6N7's are less prone to issues, and sound identically great as the older ones. The tube on the right of both of these photos is I think the 'newer' version and I personally believe you can't go wrong with this type as long as the lettering looks just like this and they if they test well.
s-l1600.jpg s-l16007.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #32,991 of 39,986
Love that film. Seen it several times. I'm actually quite fond of a lot of Australian cinema.

Very interesting. Just read the summary of the film. Will have to watch it. Australia played an important role in the Apollo 11 mission. Armstrong words, ‘That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind’, were transmitted to Earth by the signal from Honeysuckle Creek. The Antenna was decommissioned in 2009 and relocated to Canberra Space Centre where I took the picture of the giant antenna.

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #32,993 of 39,986
@JazzVinyl and GDGuss,

For me personally I prefer the metal RCA over the Ken-Rad 6N7's. Not guaranteeing this will translate the same on a Glenn amp having used it on my Euforia, but I do believe both amps are properly biased for 6N7's anyway. For me the Ken-Rad's sounded overtly lush / tubey and the RCA's with a superb... fantastic and thunderous bass control and definition, and more SS like / transparent. However it was a long road finding a perfectly functional / balanced pair of those RCA metal black 6N7's. I eventually isolated a modest 'rustling' sound I got with these tubes down to slight defects or age of individual tubes and after 3 pairs I finally found a pristine perfectly matched and perfectly silent combination and I'm quite happy with this pair. It seems that the slightly newer RCA 6N7's are less prone to issues, and sound identically great as the older ones. The tube on the right of both of these photos is I think the 'newer' version and I personally believe you can't go wrong with this type as long as the lettering looks just like this and they if they test well.

Thanks for the descriptions and comparisons. @JazzVinyl will have to comment on how the Ken Rad's sound in the GOTL as I don't have them yet. But even if they are overly lush, I'm ok with that as it will be a good option when I'm in the mood for the "tubey" sound. I'll keep an eye out for the newer looking RCAs. There seems to be some VT-96 versions (military?) and standard ones.

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #32,994 of 39,986
Thanks for the descriptions and comparisons. @JazzVinyl will have to comment on how the Ken Rad's sound in the GOTL as I don't have them yet. But even if they are overly lush, I'm ok with that as it will be a good option when I'm in the mood for the "tubey" sound. I'll keep an eye out for the newer looking RCAs. There seems to be some VT-96 versions (military?) and standard ones.

6N7 behaves a bit differently in the GOTL from the FA offering. I have the metal RCA's, too, on the Glenn, the Ken-Rad is better imho. Later found an NOS NU 6N7 and it is outstanding as well. Had 6N7G (in ST bottles) for the FA amp and thought they were better than the metal ones in that amp.

Also, results are headphone choice specific, I would think.

Glenn told me when I ordered the GOTL to "forget what I knew about a certain tubes' sound" that his architecture was so different that they would not sound the same in his amp. That proved true.
The 6N7 is a great sounding tube in the GOTL, in my amp I have to use low mu powers, when I run 6N7 because of hum. Externally heating the SN7 socket with DC current, eliminates the hum and higher mu powers (6BX/BL7's) are then okay to use with the 6N7's. Lower mu drivers - never any noticeable hum.

:)

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #32,995 of 39,986
6N7 behaves a bit differently in the GOTL from the FA offering. I have the metal RCA's, too, on the Glenn, the Ken-Rad is better imho. Later found an NOS NU 6N7 and it is outstanding as well. Had 6N7G (in ST bottles) for the FA amp and thought they were better than the metal ones in that amp.

Also, results are headphone choice specific, I would think.

Glenn told me when I ordered the GOTL to "forget what I knew about a certain tubes' sound" that his architecture was so different that they would not sound the same in his amp. That proved true.
The 6N7 is a great sounding tube in the GOTL, in my amp I have to use low mu powers, when I run 6N7 because of hum. Externally heating the SN7 socket with DC current, eliminates the hum and higher mu powers (6BX/BL7's) are then okay to use with the 6N7's. Lower mu drivers - never any noticeable hum.

I figured you would have thoughts on this matter :smile_phones:.

Oct 16, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #32,996 of 39,986
An amp review is not complete without comparison to other amps even if they are of different design. GOTL has finally met it's match in the Woo Audio WA22.

I've often been curious what WA22 owners hears with 4 x 6bx7 as compared to my GOTL running 6 x 6bx7. Well now I can find out for myself.

The WA22 SET amp with these tubes are as punchy and as dynamic as the GOTL with sextet 6bx7. WA22 slightly leaner and sharper but very good. GOTL running Mullard EL32 and 6 x 6bx7 has incredible punch and force and the OTL tube tone is just beautiful. Which do I like better? It's hard to say really. Both amps are incredible with Verite Open and HD800.

IMG-3786.JPG

IMG-3328.JPG

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #32,997 of 39,986
An amp review is not complete without comparison to other amps even if they are of different design. GOTL has finally met it's match in the Woo Audio WA22.

I've often been curious what WA22 owners hears with 4 x 6bx7 as compared to my GOTL running 6 x 6bx7. Well now I can find out for myself.

The WA22 SET amp with these tubes are as punchy and as dynamic as the GOTL with sextet 6bx7. WA22 slightly leaner and sharper but very good. GOTL running Mullard EL32 and 6 x 6bx7 has incredible punch and force and the OTL tube tone is just beautiful. Which do I like better? It's hard to say really. Both amps are incredible with Verite Open and HD800.

Sounds like you are surrounded by fabulous amplification. But we need a tie-breaker. Which one has the most beautiful sockets?

Oct 16, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #32,998 of 39,986
I have one NOS Ken Rad 1633 black glass (25 volt version) and 2 NOS Ken Rad 6sn7gt black glass. They aren't use as much. I don't consider them in my top tier drivers. YMMV.

I didn't like it much either until the VC.

Bingo! The headphone makes all the difference!! Especially noticeable with the GOTL

Oct 16, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #32,999 of 39,986
Can someone who has experience using tubes with mesh plates comment on how they positively or negatively (or don't) impact sound? As I am dabbling in older tubes, the mesh is coming up more often. Based on the year, I believe my Marconi MH4s likely have mesh plates, but they are coated so I cannot be sure. I have read the sound is overall desirable in rectifiers (and they purdy :)), unsure of driver and power tubes.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #33,000 of 39,986
Can someone who has experience using tubes with mesh plates comment on how they positively or negatively (or don't) impact sound? As I am dabbling in older tubes, the mesh is coming up more often. Based on the year, I believe my Marconi MH4s likely have mesh plates, but they are coated so I cannot be sure. I have read the sound is overall desirable in rectifiers (and they purdy :)), unsure of driver and power tubes.

In my experience with rectifiers and #27 triodes, the tonal difference is very subtle. And since I am not in a position to make blind comparisons, I am not sure if what I am hearing is entirely due to my expectations -- they are "supposed" to sound better! lol. So I wouldn't encourage anyone to pay a premium for mesh plates. But for sure, they look nice. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back