2359glenn | studio
Sep 16, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #30,676 of 39,998
Once you've experience Yamamoto's sockets, it's hard to go back to other sockets. The grip is firm and tube insertion and extraction is so so smooth. This is a picture I took of a socket in Studio Six. I believe they are Yamamoto's socket or of a similar teflon material. Just so smooth and yet firm getting tubes in and out.

I believe these are Conex sockets. Used by Woo and quite a few others. I chose them for my 45 and think they're good sockets. The pins are spring loaded so they don't become loose over time. Very friendly to frequent tube rollers. They're actually pretty affordable too.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #30,677 of 39,998
Watch this and see if you prefer 6L6, EL34 or KT88. :)

Thanks for posting this. My preferences here were different than I was expecting them to be. I was expecting to like the EL34 the most but I don't, it's the KT88 that sounded best to my ears on this test. Maybe I was on the right track all along after all......

I also found it interesting that the JJ tubes consistently had better tone than the EH ones did. I thought people kind of looked down on JJ. The fancy re-issue Mullard and Gold Lion tubes are basically just hot-rodded versions of EH tubes, all made in the same factory in Russia. Worth keeping in mind maybe.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #30,679 of 39,998
@gibosi Im assuming the GEC U19 cannot be used in the GOTL?

Sep 16, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #30,680 of 39,998
Well I lost my mind and bought these. Not even sure what I am going to use them in.
I hold @LordGwyn personally responsible.

There are gorgeous tubes...are those spacers ceramic?

Sep 16, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #30,681 of 39,998
Guys are killing me. Get caught up in some other things including the first week of football (sry Browns fans) and I've got 700+ posts to read!

I'm running Tung Sol 12SL7GT black glass round plates with a pair of Tung Sol 5998 green letterings. Hexfred build in in GOTL. Similar to Zach's RMAF show setup but without the tube rectifier. Headphone is Verite LTD Pheasant wood Open.

Very good choice of tubes Zach. This combination in GOTL is stunning with Verite. One of the best.

I found this combo out early with my GOTL/Verite and passed it along to Zach. Always nice to know that you're not the only one hearing how good things are. :grin:

I typed in AMC 6AS7G and got sent right to it,but his name is whip city tubes.
Just got some tubes from Whip City. Look great and super fast shipping.

I have that soundtrack. Its quite good,but then again I havent heard too much from Hans Zimmer that I dont like.

A couple other soundtracks that are great for headphones are:

Yea, great soundtracks, not so great films. Annihilation could have been really good with a slightly tweaked script. Should have been more of a "Heart of Darkness" style affair. The husband sub-plot was dumb as well.
Blade Runner 2049 was rubbish. And the original film is one of my all time favs.

Sep 16, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #30,682 of 39,998
Guys are killing me. Get caught up in some other things including the first week of football (sry Browns fans) and I've got 700+ posts to read!
Browns better beat the Jets tonight, no Sam Darnold.
A loss here would be devastating!

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #30,684 of 39,998
There are gorgeous tubes...are those spacers ceramic?

Yes no mica ceramic can't wait to play with these.
Going to switch my #26 tubes to these great for my preamp with a gain of 40.
Being they also draw 1 amp filament going to use filament bias. Tie the cathode to the filament and have a 3 ohm resistor to ground.
This males the 3 volts bias with no cathode resistor or nasty bypass capacitor.
This makes for the best sound. This is what I am doing with the 26s but they are direct heated so no cathode connection.
They should make my pre sound and look great. These are the best looking tubes I ever seen.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #30,685 of 39,998

Yea, a loss tonight would be cataclysmic.

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #30,686 of 39,998
Screw the neighborhood power grid! Unfortunately, you're more likely to damage your GOTL...

Actually, it is usually much less dramatic than either of these scenarios. lol. Typically, the rectifier fails and the fuse blows, per Glenn's design. So you simply toss the failed rectifier into the trash, replace the fuse and find another rectifier. So to those who wish to roll rectifiers, make sure you have some extra fuses. I believe Glenn includes extra fuses with the amp. That said, I've only lost three or four rectifiers, so this is a pretty rare event.

@gibosi Im assuming the GEC U19 cannot be used in the GOTL?

The GEC U19 is a HALF-WAVE rectifier. You want a FULL-WAVE rectifier. So the U18 is a much better choice (one of the predecessors of the U18/20). I've got a couple of these and they sound great. :)

http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/060/u/U18.pdf

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #30,687 of 39,998
Actually, it is usually much less dramatic than either of these scenarios. lol. Typically, the rectifier fails and the fuse blows, per Glenn's design. So you simply toss the failed rectifier into the trash, replace the fuse and find another rectifier. So to those who wish to roll rectifiers, make sure you have some extra fuses. I believe Glenn includes extra fuses with the amp. That said, I've only lost three or four rectifiers, so this is a pretty rare event.

The GEC U19 is a HALF-WAVE rectifier. You want a FULL-WAVE rectifier. So the U18 is a much better choise (one of the predecessors of the U18/20). I've got a couple of these and they sound great. :)

http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/060/u/U18.pdf
I figured as much. Found a NOS pair for $80.00. Was hoping for the score of a lifetime. Oh well. Thanks Ken.

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #30,688 of 39,998
Yes no mica ceramic can't wait to play with these.
Going to switch my #26 tubes to these great for my preamp with a gain of 40.
Being they also draw 1 amp filament going to use filament bias. Tie the cathode to the filament and have a 3 ohm resistor to ground.
This males the 3 volts bias with no cathode resistor or nasty bypass capacitor.
This makes for the best sound. This is what I am doing with the 26s but they are direct heated so no cathode connection.
They should make my pre sound and look great. These are the best looking tubes I ever seen.

I love it when we get really excited about a tube!

You GO Glenn!! Hope it exceeds your hopes and expectations!

:)

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #30,689 of 39,998
@L0rdGwyn @heliosphann

I tried the TS 7802 briefly with the VC. You guys are correct. Fantastic sounding tubes. Fast,speedy tubes. Unfortunately a small pop came from the VC after about a minute of use. I continued listening for a bit,but became paranoid and removed the 7802s. The tubes and VC are both working fine,but I didnt want to risk one or both having an unfortunate occurrence.

The slam and 3D imaging was very good,but not quite up to a 6 pack of 6BX7s. I recall LG you rolling some 6bx7s+7802s,which I would imagine would be very good,but im going to skip trying it.
Im gonna continue my search for a pair of my own,but I can happily live with the 6bx7s with the VC. Im gonna get over to the post office hopefully this week and will get them back to you LG. Thank you for sending them out. Please PM me your address.

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #30,690 of 39,998
There not Yamamoto better made in Korea use this brand on my 300B amps.
Could also use this socket for four volt rectifiers they have one with just 4 pins too

Oh? Made in Korea and not Yamamoto? They look like teflon material and those gold plated pins and clips are sure quality stuff. Lock them in for Project Berlin. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back