2359glenn | studio
Sep 16, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #30,691 of 39,998
The slam and 3D imaging was very good,but not quite up to a 6 pack of 6BX7s. I recall LG you rolling some 6bx7s+7802s,which I would imagine would be very good,but im going to skip trying it.
Im gonna continue my search for a pair of my own,but I can happily live with the 6bx7s with the VC. Im gonna get over to the post office hopefully this week and will get them back to you LG. Thank you for sending them out. Please PM me your address.

I'm a diehard 6 pack 6BX7 fan. Good to know you're one of them. In my case, they rock with Verite Open with a pair of Tungsram EL11 now. Still undecided over Tungsram or Telefunken EL11 which I prefer more.

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #30,692 of 39,998
@L0rdGwyn @heliosphann

I tried the TS 7802 briefly with the VC. You guys are correct. Fantastic sounding tubes. Fast,speedy tubes. Unfortunately a small pop came from the VC after about a minute of use. I continued listening for a bit,but became paranoid and removed the 7802s. The tubes and VC are both working fine,but I didnt want to risk one or both having an unfortunate occurrence.

The slam and 3D imaging was very good,but not quite up to a 6 pack of 6BX7s. I recall LG you rolling some 6bx7s+7802s,which I would imagine would be very good,but im going to skip trying it.
Im gonna continue my search for a pair of my own,but I can happily live with the 6bx7s with the VC. Im gonna get over to the post office hopefully this week and will get them back to you LG. Thank you for sending them out. Please PM me your address.

Huh, that's weird. I put a lot of hours on those in the last few weeks and didn't have any issues at all. Well, besides getting one to fire up. If you remember which tube it was (or both), give it ye old smack-a-rooni on the base with your palm. Might shake whatever is loose in there.

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #30,693 of 39,998
I'm a diehard 6 pack 6BX7 fan. Good to know you're one of them. In my case, they rock with Verite Open with a pair of Tungsram EL11 now. Still undecided over Tungsram or Telefunken EL11 which I prefer more.
Youre gonna love them with the VC.

Huh, that's weird. I put a lot of hours on those in the last few weeks and didn't have any issues at all. Well, besides getting one to fire up. If you remember which tube it was (or both), give it ye old smack-a-rooni on the base with your palm. Might shake whatever is loose in there.
Nah,if they were my personal pair,you can bet I would,but since both the tubes and VC are on loan I dont want anything bad to happen to either,especially considering how unobtanium the 7802s are.

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #30,694 of 39,998
Youre gonna love them with the VC.

Nah,if they were my personal pair,you can bet I would,but since both the tubes and VC are on loan I dont want anything bad to happen to either,especially considering how unobtanium the 7802s are.

I understand about the VC, but @L0rdGwyn was the one who told me to give em a whoopin' when the one 7802 wouldn't light. lol

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #30,696 of 39,998
Thanks for posting this. My preferences here were different than I was expecting them to be. I was expecting to like the EL34 the most but I don't, it's the KT88 that sounded best to my ears on this test. Maybe I was on the right track all along after all......

I also found it interesting that the JJ tubes consistently had better tone than the EH ones did. I thought people kind of looked down on JJ. The fancy re-issue Mullard and Gold Lion tubes are basically just hot-rodded versions of EH tubes, all made in the same factory in Russia. Worth keeping in mind maybe.

Very interesting choice there Tyrll. I thought 6L6 sounded best to me but I would have to listen again.

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #30,697 of 39,998
I found this combo out early with my GOTL/Verite and passed it along to Zach. Always nice to know that you're not the only one hearing how good things are. :grin:

I kept the Tung Sol 12SL7GT bgrp and Tung Sol 5998 combo in GOTL for more than 2 weeks. In UntilThen's rolling stones world, a combo would have to be more than stellar to remain in the hot seats for that long. They have been elevated to my 'Wall of Flames'.

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #30,698 of 39,998
If a 6336 lights up but has no sound, does it help to whack it?

Not sure, I'm relatively new to Chris Brown'ing vacuum tubes. I'll have to pass that question on to more experienced persons.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #30,701 of 39,998
@L0rdGwyn @heliosphann

I tried the TS 7802 briefly with the VC. You guys are correct. Fantastic sounding tubes. Fast,speedy tubes. Unfortunately a small pop came from the VC after about a minute of use. I continued listening for a bit,but became paranoid and removed the 7802s. The tubes and VC are both working fine,but I didnt want to risk one or both having an unfortunate occurrence.

Sorry to hear they gave you a scare, D. Hopefully you got enough of a sample to have an idea of what you'd be getting. That pair seems to get agitated during shipment for some reason. I had @heliosphann give them a little tap to settle any debris and they settled down, you are free to do the same if you like.

Right now what is in my amp is a pair of 7802 with a quad of Fivre 6BX7. Before that I was living with a quad of 7802, either setup gives excellent dynamics and speed. The 7802/6BX7 setup will likely be my daily driver output tubes, its nice to mix and match.

I'll shoot you my address! No rush whatsoever.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #30,702 of 39,998
Hi UT,
I assume that a TS 6SL7GT BGRP would sound the same as the TS 12SL7GT BGRP. Not long ago I found an overlooked box of maybe a dozen 6SL7 tubes, including 2 TS 6SL7GT BGRP. I rolled a whole bunch of them, including a number of different 6SL7WGT tubes.
To make a long story short, in my system, a National Union "Umbrella Spokes" 6SL7WGT sounded even better than the TS BGRP tubes. If you can find one, it may light up your "Wall of Flames".
Ah, those were the days when you could buy a tube lot for $2-3 a piece.....

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #30,703 of 39,998
Mr mouse ears has new friends..

D385F135-664A-4E3F-9E1A-63DD2B032C03.jpeg

His 6 GEC red base special issue 6BL7’s...

:)

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #30,704 of 39,998
I believe these are Conex sockets. Used by Woo and quite a few others. I chose them for my 45 and think they're good sockets. The pins are spring loaded so they don't become loose over time. Very friendly to frequent tube rollers. They're actually pretty affordable too.

Oh. I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday. Thanks !

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #30,705 of 39,998
Hi UT,
I assume that a TS 6SL7GT BGRP would sound the same as the TS 12SL7GT BGRP. Not long ago I found an overlooked box of maybe a dozen 6SL7 tubes, including 2 TS 6SL7GT BGRP. I rolled a whole bunch of them, including a number of different 6SL7WGT tubes.
To make a long story short, in my system, a National Union "Umbrella Spokes" 6SL7WGT sounded even better than the TS BGRP tubes. If you can find one, it may light up your "Wall of Flames".
Ah, those were the days when you could buy a tube lot for $2-3 a piece.....

What do the "Umbrella Spokes" look like, u know aside from the obvious. hehehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back