2359glenn | studio
Aug 14, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #28,606 of 39,983
That is great attention to detail, probably one reason you build fantastic amps.

All this pin-cleaning talk is due to a noisy Osram L63 I have, trying to avoid a return to the UK. Cleaning the pins with Deoxit, sandpaper, and IPA hasn't fixed the issue. It seems to be picking up noise from the amp since it is positional. If I rotate Deyan's adapter, the noise gets louder and softer as it moves, a sweet spot will fix the issue temporarily, but it comes back.

Anyone ever cured a tube that picked up interference? Using low-gain power tubes makes it tolerable. Otherwise, they sound fantastic.
Hi LG,
I have a Valvo EL12 that picked up a lot of interference. I found an inelegant solution by making a Faraday cage around it. In practice it meant taking a piece of aluminum foil and wrapping it loosely around the tube. Somehow turning the foil around the tube and finding a suitable position, I could diminish the interference.

Aug 15, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #28,607 of 39,983
I thought you want to add another amp to your collections like Matt.

Wait till you see and hear Berlin, you would want one in your collection too. :wink:

In the meantime, I've to ensure I have enough EL11s to last me a lifetime, so I bought these Triotron EL11s. Who and what is Triotron, @gibosi ? The top of the tube construction looks like my Telefunken EL11.

Anyway I did a google and I saw @leftside have so many Triotron ECC32, ECC33, ECC34 and GZ34 metal base. :scream:

s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (11).jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

Aug 15, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #28,608 of 39,983
The EL11 and EL3N are electrically identical. But of course an EL11 manufactured by Telefunken sounds different than an EL3N manufactured by Philips in Holland. However, it is relatively easy to remove the German octal base from a Telefunken EL11 and install a European side-contact base. And voila, you have a Telefunken EL3N. And in fact, you could even install an American octal base, but I have no idea what you would call it.
You could try calling it EL33 or EL3NG or 6M6G. :relaxed:

Aug 15, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #28,610 of 39,983
Good decision to use those sockets...built to last

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #28,613 of 39,983
Hi LG,
I have a Valvo EL12 that picked up a lot of interference. I found an inelegant solution by making a Faraday cage around it. In practice it meant taking a piece of aluminum foil and wrapping it loosely around the tube. Somehow turning the foil around the tube and finding a suitable position, I could diminish the interference.

Ah, the old Faraday Cage, it is worth a try. The seller offered me a partial refund for the noisy tube, but I will keep both. Works for me, as I would spend nearly 25% of the cost to ship them back. I will either build a Faraday Cage or just keep the single functioning tube as a spare for my other pair of MOV L63.

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #28,614 of 39,983
You could try calling it EL33 or EL3NG or 6M6G. :relaxed:

Billington has some EL33 in stock (EL3N with octal base), Martin offered them to me when they were found to be out of EL3N. Unsure if there are enough in the wild to warrant building the amp for them specifically, but it sure would make the adapter situation more simple, not having to worry about the side contact bases.

Like so:
mullard-el33-6ag6-red-band-02.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #28,616 of 39,983
Mhhm.....what will I do then?

Would still need octal adapters for other power tubes e.g., EL34! I am thinking of the EL3N amp. Unless someone finds a stockpile of these guys, I don't they'll get much action. The appeal of the EL3N is they are plentiful and cheap.

Edit: Actually looks like Langrex has 150 EL33 according to their stock list.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #28,617 of 39,983
Would still need octal adapters for other power tubes e.g., EL34! I am thinking of the EL3N amp. Unless someone finds a stockpile of these guys, I don't they'll get much action. The appeal of the EL3N is they are plentiful and cheap.

I was joking. Pretty sure adapter building won't last forever so I preparing mentally to move on.

Aug 15, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #28,618 of 39,983
I was joking. Pretty sure adapter building won't last forever so I preparing mentally to move on.

Ha! Well as long as Glenn is cranking out amplifiers, you'll have adapter demand here I'm sure of it.

Aug 15, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #28,619 of 39,983
so I bought these Triotron EL11s. Who and what is Triotron, @gibosi ? The top of the tube construction looks like my Telefunken EL11.

Triotron was the brand name for tubes manufactured by Radiowerk E. Schrack, Vienna, starting in about 1926. However, in 1939, Philips acquired control of Schrack and Triotron and changed the name to Wiener Radio Works (WIRAG).

Google is pretty sketchy, but it appears that Philips continued to use the Triotron brand in Britain, but only as a distributor, not a manufacturer. So there is no way to know for sure who manufactured these later Triotron tubes, but since the brand was owned by Philips, I think it is likely that those EL11 were manufactured by a Philips subsidiary. But until you have them in your hands and examine them closely, you won't know for sure.

Aug 15, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #28,620 of 39,983

Speaking of adapters, on the chance that I am not the only one running AZ4 and AZ12 rectifiers in a Glenn amp, Deyan can make a very nice adapter to take advantage of the amp's native support for the 3DG4. That is, there is no need to worry about power resisters to reduce 5 volts down to 4.

2019-08-12 19.52.08.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back