2359glenn | studio
Aug 14, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #28,576 of 39,986
Electrically identical does not mean "sound" identical. All 6SN7GT are electrically identical, but an RCA sounds very different than a Sylvania. The factory matters.

The EL11 and EL3N are electrically identical. But of course an EL11 manufactured by Telefunken sounds different than an EL3N manufactured by Philips in Holland. However, it is relatively easy to remove the German octal base from a Telefunken EL11 and install a European side-contact base. And voila, you have a Telefunken EL3N. And in fact, you could even install an American octal base, but I have no idea what you would call it. And it is certainly possible to install a German octal base or a European side-contact base on a 6SN7GT! Again, the base has no affect on the sound. The tube will sound the same regardless of which base is installed.

As I recall, Telefunken strongly championed the German octal base and as a result, it became a de facto standard in Germany. But the rest of Europe primarily used the side-contact base. Some manufacturers and factories that served both markets manufactured both the EL11 and EL3N. And again, same tube, different base.

And this is not the only example of same tube, different bases. The AZ4 rectifier has a European side-contact base while the AZ12 has the German octal base. But again, they are identical except for the base.

What I have are EL11 and EL3N manufactured by Loewe Opta, a Philips subsidiary located in Berliln. Being a Philips company based in Berlin, Loewe Opta catered to the local German market, the EL11, and the broader European market, the EL3N. The EL11 I have carries the Valvo brand. And the EL3N carries the Philips brand. Again, same tube, different base. And yes, they sound identical.
Wait, which amp are you planning to use these tubes? Just curious.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #28,577 of 39,986
Man, I got a pair of Mouse Ears and can't find them... Never even got to use them! :smile:
@rosgr63 sent me a mouse ear. It sounds good,but it wont make you want to take out your BGRP.

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #28,578 of 39,986
Wait, which amp are you planning to use these tubes? Just curious.

In Glenn's OTL, with custom adapters to allow them to be used in place of the C3g.

EL11 manufactured by Loewe Opta in Berlin.
2019-07-12 22.45.42.jpg

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #28,579 of 39,986
In Glenn's OTL, with custom adapters to allow them to be used in place of the C3g.

EL11 manufactured by Loewe Opta in Berlin.

How does the Telefunken el11 differ in sound vs. the el8? I know Telefunken are known for making tubes that have a bright airy sound,which pretty much describes the el8 to my ears.

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #28,580 of 39,986
My Valvo EL8 were manufactured in Hamburg, Germany, and I am not sure if they were manufactured anywhere else. Anyway, in general, while I agree that the Valvo EL8 is bright and airy, the Telefunken EL11 is even more so.

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #28,582 of 39,986
Anyone using Deoxit have a tried and true method? I recently started using the "Vacuum Tube Survival Kit" with the higher concentration cleaner. The included brushes and very nice. Before I was just using isopropyl alcohol. What I am finding is that following the recommended method of leaving the pins to soak overnight is inefficient and uses too much product (how convenient for them). It also leaves a hard to remove residue on the pins and base, this stuff does not clean off easily, and I'm not keen on gumming up my GOTL sockets. The only reasonable way to remove it seems to be an isopropyl alcohol bath at the end. Overall, not impressed.

Any tips are welcome, thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #28,584 of 39,986
Anyone using Deoxit have a tried and true method? I recently started using the "Vacuum Tube Survival Kit" with the higher concentration cleaner. The included brushes and very nice. Before I was just using isopropyl alcohol. What I am finding is that following the recommended method of leaving the pins to soak overnight is inefficient and uses too much product (how convenient for them). It also leaves a hard to remove residue on the pins and base, this stuff does not clean off easily, and I'm not keen on gumming up my GOTL sockets. The only reasonable way to remove it seems to be an isopropyl alcohol bath at the end. Overall, not impressed.

Hi LG,
I use this Swiss precision instrument to gently scrape the tube pins - no fuss, no muzz!
upload_2019-8-14_14-59-51.png

It does require concentration though - you must count each pin to make sure you don't miss one - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ; then turn it over and do the inside of the pin, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, and you are done.
A visual check is also recommended to make sure that you did not miss anything.
BTW, I like the Russian Rhodium plated pins that don't seem to corrode easily.

Aug 14, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #28,585 of 39,986
Hi LG,
I use this Swiss precision instrument to gently scrape the tube pins - no fuss, no muzz!

It does require concentration though - you must count each pin to make sure you don't miss one - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ; then turn it over and do the inside of the pin, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, and you are done.
A visual check is also recommended to make sure that you did not miss anything.
BTW, I like the Russian Rhodium plated pins that don't seem to corrode easily.

Thanks, mordy. I'm going to see this Deoxit thing through first, see if I can find a good way of using it. Maybe I'll move onto the Swiss method next :) I've used abrasive pads with alcohol in the past, sort of similar. I know Deoxit has something of a following with good results, so I thought I'd give it a shot, but the user experience so far has not been positive. I wasn't expecting it to be so...greasy.

Aug 14, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #28,586 of 39,986

I stopped using Deoxit for these reasons. At a minimum I find you'll need to use IPA after using Deoxit. These days I do what a lot of others do on here: use some fine sand/grit paper and then IPA on the pins. I forgot the number of the sandpaper (maybe 500?), but I can check later or you can search on here. Less material in the amp sockets the better.

Aug 14, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #28,587 of 39,986
I use fine grit sandpaper(3000) first,then use Deoxit on a cotton swab to get off any muck,then use dry swabs to clean off residual Deoxit on pins and base.

Aug 14, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #28,588 of 39,986
I stopped using Deoxit for these reasons. At a minimum I find you'll need to use IPA after using Deoxit. These days I do what a lot of others do on here: use some fine sand/grit paper and then IPA on the pins. I forgot the number of the sandpaper (maybe 500?), but I can check later or you can search on here. Less material in the amp sockets the better.

Welp! Well thanks @leftside , I'll probably move away from using it then, it's just such a friggin' mess.

Maybe I will reserve it for particularly difficult jobs. I have a stack of high grit sandpaper from previous projects. I'll go back to the isopropyl alcohol, I guess nothing beats tried and true solvents.

I use fine grit sandpaper(3000) first,then use Deoxit on a cotton swab to get off any muck,then use dry swabs to clean off residual Deoxit on pins and base.

I've been using the cotton swabs for removal as well, but I still can't seem to get it all. Maybe I am too impatient.

Aug 14, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #28,589 of 39,986
I've been using the cotton swabs for removal as well, but I still can't seem to get it all. Maybe I am too impatient.
I would imagine that if youre using a lot of Deoxit on the pins it would be a chore. As I said,I apply it on a swab,so very little is actually being applied. I would assume iso alcohol would serve the same purpose.

Aug 14, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #28,590 of 39,986

Same here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back