1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

2359glenn | studio

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by silent one, Mar 9, 2012.
  1. UntilThen
    A picture of some of my steel pins EL tubes.

20180609_103806.jpg

L0rdGwyn likes this.
  2. mordy
    There is also a tube 4699 that has twice the output power of an EL3 but I do not know if it is suitable in the Glenn EL3N amp.
    https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_4699.html
    The literature states that it is a predecessor to the EL34.
    It is supposedly similar to an EL12 with a different base (side contact).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    rnros likes this.
  3. UntilThen
    The intent is to recreate the glory days of the Siemens-Klangfilm amplifiers except I'm certain Glenn will make it sound much better. :wink:

So it's Berlin without the rolls except to swap those EL11, 12, 12 spez power tubes and tube rectifers.

4. mordy
    You are right - corrected it in my post.
    Gets confusing with all the alternatives - what do you think of the 4699?

5. UntilThen
    Twice as much power as the EL3. Similar to EL6. Only Glenn can tell you if it's safe to use in the GEL3N. I'm not looking for lots more power because this will not be a speaker amp for me. Besides I'm more inclined to go with the octal steel pins sockets for EL11 now.

Those few on 4699 ebay for sale are very expensive.

rnros likes this.
  6. rnros
    Also the 4689, and before those two, the 4654 and the the EL50, both with plate caps but the same metal base and side contacts.
    First versions were ST shape, then redesigned as straight glass like later EL34.
    Assuming they can be used anywhere you would use EL34.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  7. rnros
    Yes, same price level as EL34.

8. DecentLevi
    @L0rdGwyn to be completely transparent, the most likely reasons for not hearing a difference between DACs would be the resolving ability of headphones used and hearing ability to be able to notice the details. The DAC does the heavy lifting that sets the pace for the rest of the chain all the way to your ears. It can make as big a difference as the food you put into your body. I'm not saying either two above factors are an issue in your case, but maybe it could be that the DACs you tried were too similar or the amping was not quite up to spec. Either way I applaud you for being open to trying new DACs to hear the difference.

For the $8k Lampizator tube DAC, I'll go out on a limb and say one doesn't have to spend quite that much for absolute master-class sound and that a tube DAC + tube amp may = too much tube saturation / euphonic sound, or at least for my tastes. And RE it's cost, especially it may not necessarily have to cost that much with the likes of Hugo TT 2 being slightly less and Dangerous Convert 2 DAC much less at around $2.5k range - but getting especially good reviews from many experienced users who have tried them recently. If I'm lucky I may be able to audition one in a few weeks. And if I like it I may stick with the Dangerous Music brand for a future purchase of a A/D converter which is the opposite of a DAC to make good digital files out of analogue input for professional recording.

As a disclaimer I haven't heard the Lampizator DAC yet so I may be wrong, but it would be amazing for these to outclass other DACs like the above and also Yggdrasil 2 that cost less.

9. DecentLevi
    Certainly interesting that the EL3N and EL11 could be identical except for the bases. Somehow however in my multi-year experience with both on the Elise & Euforia amp they both sound almost the opposite, the EL3N being more slow and dark yet both being fairly lush. There must be some finer detail that sets them apart in the internal construction or materials, conductivity etc. But certainly the slimmer ST shaped EL11's such as Telefunken or RFT must be different, sounding brighter and less organic with bass of a different flavor.

I believe the reason for not leaving electronic devices on in general may have more to do with reducing the environmental impact of energy production and electricity bill - to which I agree.

@UntilThen , congrats for also having an EL12 Spez. It's a very spezial tube that holds down its' own amazingly well towards nearly the top of the EL series. Also if you're getting a GEL11 amp I recon you will also probably be getting EL3N adapters to try those.

rosgr63 likes this.
  10. UntilThen
    I doubt that you won't be pleased with a Yggdrasil 2. Torq, who has done extensive evaluation on dacs, speaks highly of it.

11. Monsterzero
    whirlwind, DecentLevi and Phantaminum like this.
  12. UntilThen
    I had the EL12 spez and the other EL tubes last year when I wanted Glenn to build me an amp using those tubes. I just didn't proceed with it but this time around, Project Berlin will go ahead. I'll just await my turn in the queue for the amp to be built.

That pair of Telefunken EL12 spez tubes is in tip top condition and cost me US$150. The other EL11s and EL12s are also NOS.

13. UntilThen
    The Fivre 6v6g tubes from Langrex arrived. They are so nice looking tubes ! Even the pins are gold plated. Solid brown base. Very firm. Smooth glass and clearly legible lettering on the glass. Wrapped in very ancient soft paper.

Project Berlin may have to be delayed in favour of Project Xanadu - that's my code name for EL34, 6V6, 6L6, KT66, 5881, EL35, EL37, EL38, EL39 with dual L63.

Oh why are there only 7 pins? :)

IMG-3271.JPG IMG-3272.JPG

whirlwind likes this.
  14. 2359glenn
    When it is time to build your amp you will have to send me some of these tubes. I don't have any to test the amp.

15. UntilThen
    Sure I'll send you all the tubes ! ..... but the question now is whether Berlin or Xanadu. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

because that Fivre 6V6g is so nice looking.