2359glenn | studio
Aug 2, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #28,051 of 39,994
I think theres a recent pic of a Burl ZMF in the Atticus/Eikon thread. Its probably the most striking headphone Ive ever seen. Havent seen a Verite in Burl,though,with the new Verite closed coming out,that might be the ticket.
Zach said it has slightly more 3D imaging and a tad brighter than the open Verite. I cant wait to hear it.

I'm not sure I wanted a closed headphone. I've no one to disturb here. :)

So I rather go with an open headphone for the increased soundstage like the Verite.

Aug 2, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #28,052 of 39,994
I think theres a recent pic of a Burl ZMF in the Atticus/Eikon thread. Its probably the most striking headphone Ive ever seen. Havent seen a Verite in Burl,though,with the new Verite closed coming out,that might be the ticket.
Zach said it has slightly more 3D imaging and a tad brighter than the open Verite. I cant wait to hear it.

I saw the Burl wood in the Atticus/Eikon thread. Not what I'm looking for. It's too light colour.

I want a dark wood like @UsoppNoKami 's Pheasant wood LTD.

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #28,053 of 39,994
I'm not sure I wanted a closed headphone. I've no one to disturb here. :)

So I rather go with an open headphone for the increased soundstage like the Verite.

I have no need for a closed back either,but if I am gonna be picky,the one thing I would change about the Verite is to make it slightly brighter.
The strongest part of the Verite,to me,is the 3D imaging.
The closed,according to Zach addresses its only perceived fault,and strengthens its strong suit. Sounds like a winner to me.

I saw the Burl wood in the Atticus/Eikon thread. Not what I'm looking for. It's too light colour.

I want a dark wood like @UsoppNoKami 's Pheasant wood LTD.

I have the Pheasantwood too. Its lovely,but that burl......:L3000:

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #28,054 of 39,994

This is too light colored for you?!?

fullsizeoutput_16ea.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_16eb.jpeg

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #28,055 of 39,994
Aug 2, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #28,056 of 39,994
Aug 2, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #28,057 of 39,994
I can't believe a month away has made me hear the GOTL in a new way. I can't remember the ECC31 with 6bx7s sounding so creamy and lush and yet detailed.

I can't see the need to get a ECC32 until someone can tell me that the ECC32 is a marked upgrade on the ECC31.

IMG-3179.JPG

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #28,059 of 39,994

My guess, looking for a better DAC is the next step. :)

He strikes again! I need to finish graduate school before making any other large purchases.

Tubes are not large purchases though, and neither are tube testers.....

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #28,060 of 39,994
He strikes again! I need to finish graduate school before making any other large purchases.

Tubes are not large purchases though, and neither are tube testers.....

Yup take your time on the audio journey. There's no end game. Just build around the OTL amp. It's the cornerstone !

Aug 3, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #28,062 of 39,994
BREAKTHROUGH ANNOUNCEMENT:

In case some of you missed the recent and increasing excitement about this headphone, let me briefly introduce you to the HEDDphone One from German speaker company Heinz Electrodynamic Designs.

From the seminar description that was given about it at CanJam London last month:
"Transducer technologies in speakers and headphones are either electrodynamic systems, coming in the voice coil, planar or pure ribbon flavor, and electrostatic devices, all existing in both product categories. In the last decades the Air Motion Transformer, originally invented by the German physicist Oskar Heil, took a different approach. It found its way in a compact form into new tweeter designs based on the original work of the author. By introducing VVT® or Variable Velocity Transform, the original AMT concept is expanded by replacing the fixed geometric structure of conventional AMT drivers by folds that vary both in width and depth, thus varying the AMT specific velocity transform over the frequency range. Dr. Frederik Knop from HEDD presents the technology behind the HEDDphone ONE, the first full range headphone based on the Air Motion Transformer principle."

As you can see, this is a truly unique headphone and the first of its' kind to implement this technology into a headphone. To me it sounded perhaps like the best hybrid between perhaps the HE-6 and the Orpheus 2, with both the planar bass and the electrostat speed / transparency - but being neither, a new AMT electrodynamic driver which is said to be even much faster than electrostatic technology. I tried it at CanJam SoCal 2019 and it's a sound I can't soon forget and will always aspire to have one day...

190727_Canjam_04a.jpg

photo thanks to @AndrewH13

My review was here and you can see the recent CanJam London impression thread lit up about it as well, even vs. some new $25k e-stats.

Planning to still get a GOTL when funds permit and definitely on board for this new giant-killer of a headphone, it's been my sincere hope that it will synergize well with a GOTL. So @2359glenn and anyone else here that cares to shed their expertise, what would you say about the HEDDphone being driven well by a GOTL? (hoping to have both synergy and good gain level). Here's the specs:
"38 ohms and 90 dB SPL for 1 mW"

@whirlwind told me that using the 6336 tubes would supply more current, and somehow I've a feeling that a GOTL with the HEDDphone One would pair quite well! Moreover there's already a general consensus from those who have tried this headphone on both SS and tube amps that these sing best with tube amps. And from my Euforia amp (along with unique multi-tube combos) I already have a pristine pair of 6336 in storage, along with a huge arsenal of to flight tubes such as 2x GEC 6AS7G, 6x EL32, 6x EL38, 2x EL39, 6x 6BL7, 6SN7, 6N7, 7N7, 5998, 6080, 9-pin octals, etc., etc.

The crew at HEDD Audio are still making last minute adjustments and it's slain to be released sometime in October for around $1,700 which is an insanely good cost / performance. Anyone interested feel free to sub to the HEDDphone thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hedd-announces-heddphone-with-amt-technology.906270

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #28,063 of 39,994
Howdy Matt, glad you're doing well with work in Canberra. Could never stand that place, but to each his own haha.

Still waiting for Glenn to hit me up with a message saying my amp is built/otw .. in the meantime I have been enjoying the Sansui AU-7700 with speakers at desk & my B&W speaker set up in the living room. Headphone usage has been mainly gaming at night lately lol.

best,
Ken Ji

I blame you Ken Ji. Now I want to get a Verite in exotic wood.

Aug 3, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #28,064 of 39,994
Hello
I did my research and I did not find much, are there a comparisons between the GOTL and the GEL3N?

I know they have different designs but I am still curious!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #28,065 of 39,994
Hello
I did my research and I did not find much, arr there a comparisons between the GOTL and the GEL3N?

I know they have different designs but I am still curious!

@whirlwind is a good man to ask! I'm sure he has to have talked about it somewhere in the thread. If you didn't know, the largest difference is the GEL3N is transformer coupled while the GOTL is not. The GEL3N uses four EL3N tubes and there are not many tube rolling options (EL8, EL11 with adapter). The input and output tubes are out of phase so their distortion products cancel. It also comes with a "single tube" switch that uses only one tube for amplification (rather than both), I can't comment on how it affects the sound, but owners seem to find it more "clean". The GEL3N is more expensive given that it requires three Lundahl transformers to build ($$$). Glenn says it can also be used to drive sensitive speakers.

That's everything I know about it. I've kept my place is the queue in hopes of getting one someday :) one must always be planning for the future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back