2359glenn | studio
Aug 2, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #28,037 of 39,985
Just did a not-too-involved shootout between my old amp, the Bottlehead Crackatwoa (w/ some parts upgrades) and the GOTL. It has only been three days, but I work this weekend, so better to do it now.

DSCF5370.jpg

The Crackatwoa is a 12AU7/6SN7 input and 6AS7 cathode follower output OTL with solid state constant current sources. Also has a 6AQ5 shunt-regulated power supply.

The best I think I have heard the Crackatwoa is with the Mullard ECC32 input and Tung Sol 5998/421A output, so I put the same in the GOTL, split my DAC outputs, and away we went!

Right off the bat, with no music playing, the GOTL has a lower noise floor. That is one thing that has really pleased me: with quiet tubes, the GOTL itself is a very quiet amplifier. Nice.

A-B comparisons show the GOTL does have strengths over the Crackatwoa even while using the same tubes. More airiness and larger, more expansive soundstage, better bass definition, and better dynamics with a slightly faster attack. That isn't to say the Crackatwoa is extremely weak in these departments, just that the GOTL excels over it.

Then went to compare both at what I think is close to full strength (or at least for the GOTL, a different strength). Same tubes in the Crackatwoa, then changed the GOTL to Siemens C3g inputs and six Tung Sol 6BX7 outputs. Harder comparison, since the GOTL sounds like a different amplifier! Which, I think can be stated, is one of its strengths. Different experience with the C3g and 6BX7, altogether very transparent and dynamic, a more lively presentation than the ECC32/5998 loadout, but again showing its higher detail-retrieval and punchiness over the Crackatwoa.

The Crackatwoa is a great amp, I've enjoyed it and plan to retire it to live with my stereo and turntable. It has a lot of sentimental value for me, my blood sweat and tears went into building that amp.

But the GOTL is exceptional, truly a Swiss Army knife that is several different amps in one, each with its own strengths, all while maintaining a punchy, resolving, and overall pleasurable listening experience.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #28,039 of 39,985
Are the amperex 6080's I had made by mullard? I'm not as versed in tube history as I wish I was. I like them because they are dead quiet and matched. I was the victim of some nice but unmatched ebay tubes.

The other tubes I had was an RCA 6f8g round plate with smoked glass and the sittard GZ 34 rectifier with the X code, I believe it's a 58. Should be same internals as the metal based versions but I don't like traveling with my metal base.

I've lost (broken) a number of tubes traveling that I get a little shy moving around with my best stuff.

Unfortunately at shows I'm so inundated talking and explaining everything to everyone I never am able to swap tubes in and out. I wish I could give a full demonstration with different sets of tubes to show how the Glenn just shows you the tube you have rolled so accurately.

Maybe for RMAF I'll post what I want to tube roll here so you guys can tell me what you think!

I do not blame you a bit for not wanting to take your best tubes on the road traveling.....the amp sounds very good with tubes that don't cost an arm and a leg.
If you take the best of tubes, pack them really well....like Glenn packs his amps.

Still saving money for my next ZMF headphone...I must say, that burl wood is stunning!

Aug 2, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #28,040 of 39,985
As I was tube rolling the first day, this combo really floored me, those C3g tubes are no joke! Very transparent with great dynamics from the 6BX7s.

To my ears nothing matches the C3g for transparency...they also make any power tube sound good!

Aug 2, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #28,041 of 39,985
Something came to my mind. Probably most of you already guessed I'm using bases from locktal tubes for the C3g adapters. So the question question is does anyone have some spent C3g tubes. I have 2 tubes but they are already meant for a very special pair of EL3 to C3g adapters.

I have one.

Aug 2, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #28,042 of 39,985
Aug 2, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #28,043 of 39,985
Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #28,045 of 39,985
Likewise, I have all these and more, and you can count me as one of those who prefers the 6BX7GT to any 6AS7G or derivative.

My ears aren't deceiving me then. These sextet 6bx7gt are one of a kind tone and I've forgotten how good they sound with a Mullard ECC35. Priceless.

IMG-3178.JPG

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #28,047 of 39,985
I have used the EL8 extensively in the GOTL. On their own just nice, but in combination with a third driver they add body and fullness to the sound.
Hard to find them, but if interested PM me.I have a German source for $26 shipped for a NOS pair.

I have a pair,and really like them,and you're correct,theyre great in the triple driver configuration....Speaking of which, where has @JazzVinyl been?

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #28,049 of 39,985
I should have stayed away from Head-Fi. Now I'm thinking of buying a Verite. What burl wood are you talking about? Any picture of it?

I think theres a recent pic of a Burl ZMF in the Atticus/Eikon thread. Its probably the most striking headphone Ive ever seen. Havent seen a Verite in Burl,though,with the new Verite closed coming out,that might be the ticket.
Zach said it has slightly more 3D imaging and a tad brighter than the open Verite. I cant wait to hear it.

Aug 2, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #28,050 of 39,985
Sorry to crash the thread, but since there isn’t much info on these and to not have to read through 1,800 pages......what do these generally go for price wise ? Also, while I have a few high ohm dynamics...Verite, HD600,HD650......most of my other cans are low ohm planars. Would I be able to use this with them also?

This is where I come in. Just buy it. :)

The OTL amp is insanely good value for the sonics it can deliver with a multitude of tubes. It's much cheaper than a Woo Wa22 and a Feliks Euphoria both of which I've heard and the Glenn OTL amp is the one I'd recommend definitely of the 3.

With your Verite, HD600, HD650, it would be where the OTL shines but I happen to like what I hear it driving the LCD-2 and 3. I currently have the LCD-3f and it's a beautiful tone driven by the OTL. Certainly not lacking in drive with the planars. It's right at home there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back