2359glenn | studio
May 26, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #26,689 of 39,994
I was thinking last night while building a amp.
The EL3N amp uses a CCS (constant current source) on the driver EL3N.
What I was thinking was to use this on the OTL driver with a pot on the amp to adjust the plate current of the driver.
This would allow to get the perfect operating point for all tubes rolled in this position.
Or would this make things to complicated??? To many switches and knobs.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #26,690 of 39,994
What I was thinking was to use this on the OTL driver with a pot on the amp to adjust the plate current of the driver.
This would allow to get the perfect operating point for all tubes rolled in this position.
What do you guys think?

I love playing with knobs...

hehehe

May 26, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #26,691 of 39,994
What do you guys think?

I really like the idea. But it does the beg the question: How is the perfect operating point determined? I assume it can be derived from the data sheets? Perhaps from one of the graphs?

May 26, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #26,692 of 39,994
What do you guys think?
I'm like a dog that is asleep and suddenly you see one ear popping up.......
I have the same question as gibosi. And as addition does having an additional knob cause more noise?

May 26, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #26,693 of 39,994
This may be a great idea, but like the others...what criteria for the operating points.

May 26, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #26,694 of 39,994
A table with the operating points and a meter is all that's needed to set the pot.

May 26, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #26,695 of 39,994
Are these nice sounding tubes? Or just rare? How do they compare to the similar tubes?

They have the 5692 sound signature to me.

May 26, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #26,696 of 39,994
Heres a question from the less experienced tube rolling brigade...

If one can achieve perfect operating points determined by referencing data sheets via a knob adjustment,what would that accomplish in terms of sonic reproduction?
It seems it could be an optional addition. It might be overkill for the noob,unless of course the sound is night and day.

Would it be akin to the 5998 optimizer switch you already offer as an option?

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #26,697 of 39,994

If one can achieve perfect operating points determined by referencing data sheets via a knob adjustment,what would that accomplish in terms of sonic reproduction?
It seems it could be an optional addition. It might be overkill for the noob,unless of course the sound is night and day.

If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, you've measured the wrong thing - Daniel R. von Recklinghausen

May 26, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #26,699 of 39,994
Of course, armed with such a table the adjustment would be easy. But again, I suspect that someone, perhaps someone in this forum, would have to put this table together first. :)

And somebody would set the wrong voltage............

May 26, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #26,700 of 39,994

Theoretically, tubes biased at their perfect operating points should sound better. But perhaps this is not always true?

For example, an ECC32 installed in a 6SN7 socket is not biased properly. And yet, some claim it sounds better than any properly biased 6SN7.

So maybe, just maybe, the reason the ECC32 sounds so great is exactly because it is biased incorrectly? Or maybe, just maybe, if it was biased correctly it would sound even better?

Being able to adjust the bias would allow us to determine if the perfect bias actually does sound better in each case.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back