2359glenn | studio
Mar 23, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #25,516 of 40,001
@gibosi

I was hoping you could verify that the Colomor I own is a Fivre 12SL7. Looking online it seems that it matches several other pictures of the round plate Fivres but doesn’t look at all like my 12SN7 Fivre. I’m thinking a change in production? Also what would of came first the non round plate or round plate? Thanks!

I'll have to defer to others on this. I have two Fivre 6SN7, one with a bottom rectangular getter and a later one with a side mounted halo getter, and both have the same rectangular mica, top and bottom, with three teeth on the short ends.

If Fivre ever used circular mica with the mica side spacers on top, I can't say....

Mar 23, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #25,518 of 40,001
I was enjoying Vaya Con Dios too though it's the first time I'm listening to her sing and I know nothing about French.

Unless you like getting dirty looks,or worse,never ever refer to someone from Belgium as French.

It's quite clear, you have a preference for a slight warm tilt with tubes for your Verite.

Thus far,the brighter tubes Ive tried with the Verite collapses the 3D imaging of it,but im still experimenting.

Try RCA 6as7g.

One of the cheap tubes I put bids on last night.

I'm now listening with the LCD-2f with the warmish tone of the Sansui and I'm starting to enjoy this Vaya Con Dios that came out of nowhere.

I discovered them many years ago when I was a DJ for Club Med. I was cleaning the dust from behind the rack and found a couple CDs back there. I almost tossed it into the garbage,but decided to give the disc a spin,and immediately was impressed. Quite different than my normal tastes in music,but I dig her voice,the surf-like guitar tone on some of their stuff as well.

Excellent band.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #25,519 of 40,001
Mar 23, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #25,520 of 40,001
Mar 23, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #25,521 of 40,001
Left, you're about to step into a river of no return. Best to discuss that in the Vintage amp thread.

That is the cream of Sansui tube technology. A coveted gem.
I admire the vintage gear, but am no longer tempted (apart from vintage tubes lol). My first step onto the "audiophile" ladder was with vintage (McIntosh and Accuphase) gear. Now, if I had a third room for audio gear... then it would surely be of the vintage type.

I figured at that price it must be a coveted gem. It's even more expensive than totally restored Mac MC30, MC60 and MC75 amps.

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #25,522 of 40,001
I admire the vintage gear, but am no longer tempted (apart from vintage tubes lol). My first step onto the "audiophile" ladder was with vintage (McIntosh and Accuphase) gear. Now, if I had a third room for audio gear... then it would surely be of the vintage type.

I figured at that price it must be a coveted gem. It's even more expensive than totally restored Mac MC30, MC60 and MC75 amps.

There has been an explosion of nice pictures in the vintage thread to that is drool worthy. Btw I just learn that Accuphase is closely tight to Kenwood. :)

However.... however.... much as I love speakers listening, I'm spending more time with headphones because every time I crank up the volume of the lounge system, the wife, daughter and even the dog goes on strike !

Fortunately I've very good sounding gear with my headphones and to that end, I am still in love with my GOTL. The most dynamic, powerful and engaging OTL amp I've ever owned or heard. It shall be with me to eternity.

Sail on home Ulyssess !

Btw have you got your GOTL? I'm waiting on an avalanche of photos from you.

Mar 23, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #25,523 of 40,001
It will be a while I think. Glenn is a busy man these days. Really enjoying rolling tubes again in the WA22 with the Stellia though. With the higher sensitivity headphones, I can roll many more different tubes and hear more differences than I did with the LCD-3. With the LCD-3 it was basically plug-in the higher gain tubes and leave as is to get the best sound. Be interesting to see what you think of the LCD-3 and HD800 in the GOTL. I really like having lower sensitivity/harder to drive headphones for the 300B, and higher sensitivity/easier to drive headphones for the WA22. For example, I'm guessing with the GOTL you'll like 2-4 6BL7's with the HD800 and 6 6BL7's with the GOTL. It's great that the GOTL gives that option.

Mar 23, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #25,525 of 40,001
If I remember correctly, two 6BL7's is not recommended in the GOTL as the resulting B+ is too high and the tubes might not last long. However, four 6BL7's are fine.
I'll change my statement to "4 for the HD800 and 6 for the LCD-3" then :)

Mar 24, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #25,526 of 40,001
Tonight im listening to the original,vaunted,speedy ATH AD2000 on my GOTL. Being able to use 6336 tubes in the Glenn is a huge game changer IMO,which allows me to use these low impedance/high sensitivity headphones on an OTL.

There headphones were recommended to me by a slightly grumpy old member way back when,when I first got into this hobby. I was looking for a mid-centric lightning fast headphone that excelled at metal. The same member wrote the definitive review of the AD2000s,which can be found here.
These headphones are notoriously amp picky,and quite divisive. Some hate it,while others once claimed it to be the finest headphone made at the time. In his review the author claimed the Gilmore Lite to be the best he had ever heard it sound,so I went out and bought the MK2 just for these headphones. However once I discovered 6336 tubes and I heard the AD2000s on the GOTL I quickly posted the Gilmore for sale. The GOTL gives it great 3D staging,warms up the bass without sacrificing the speed and retaining those famous mids,which are still world class IMO. The GLM2 made it a very sterile sounding,L/R sounding headphone. Its no wonder why some hate this headphone,because frankly I wasnt a fan of the way it sounded on the Gilmore at all.

Now if the GOTL could fix the lack of comfort of these things I'd be in heaven.

Mar 24, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #25,527 of 40,001
@gibosi

I was hoping you could verify that the Colomor I own is a Fivre 12SL7. Looking online it seems that it matches several other pictures of the round plate Fivres but doesn’t look at all like my 12SN7 Fivre. I’m thinking a change in production? Also what would of came first the non round plate or round plate? Thanks!

Looks like I may have found the answer after a little Google-Fu. Looks exactly like the Fivre tube Stavros owns: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/balancing-act-tube-rolling.497049/page-12#post-8094506

Mar 24, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #25,528 of 40,001
Unless you like getting dirty looks,or worse,never ever refer to someone from Belgium as French.

Thus far,the brighter tubes Ive tried with the Verite collapses the 3D imaging of it,but im still experimenting.

One of the cheap tubes I put bids on last night.

I discovered them many years ago when I was a DJ for Club Med. I was cleaning the dust from behind the rack and found a couple CDs back there. I almost tossed it into the garbage,but decided to give the disc a spin,and immediately was impressed. Quite different than my normal tastes in music,but I dig her voice,the surf-like guitar tone on some of their stuff as well.

Excellent band.

Great band I like them too.

Mar 24, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #25,529 of 40,001
Mar 24, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #25,530 of 40,001
There has been an explosion of nice pictures in the vintage thread to that is drool worthy. Btw I just learn that Accuphase is closely tight to Kenwood. :)

However.... however.... much as I love speakers listening, I'm spending more time with headphones because every time I crank up the volume of the lounge system, the wife, daughter and even the dog goes on strike !

Fortunately I've very good sounding gear with my headphones and to that end, I am still in love with my GOTL. The most dynamic, powerful and engaging OTL amp I've ever owned or heard. It shall be with me to eternity.

Sail on home Ulyssess !

Ha, I hear you about the wife having to listen to your loud music. I gave up my speaker listening in 2007 because of that reason. It was then that I bought my first headphone that was good enough to be a game changer as far as headphones
go for me. I bought the Grado 325i in 2007 and have not listened to speakers as my main listening ever since. At first I missed it, but now I don't even ever think about it. i have lots of vinyl just sitting in the basement taking up space.
My wife asks me to sell it every once in awhile, but I have never took the time.

Fast forward to now and my wife still hears my music at times with my open headphones....guess I play them a little too loud, but never fear, for those situations I have countered with Zach's closed headphones, a dynamic and a planar and both isolate so well she can't
hear anything, even when she is sitting very close to me.

I get up early every morning to hear an album or two before work, just gets my day started right. I use my close headphones so I do not wake the wife...then at night or when the wife is not going to be disturbed I use my open headphones.
Everybody remains happy, and when the wife is happy...I am really happy! I have just recently sold the HD800 after many years with it, it was the reason I got an OTL from Glenn in the first place. It just eventually ended up being the headphone that I reached for the least, if I listened
to classical I suppose I would have kept it.

Whenever you want to listen with your speakers...just give your wife $100 and let her go shopping for the day :beyersmile:
Heck, in the end, whatever someone has to do to enjoy their music they have to do. At work I listen with a cheap dap and a $20 pair of JVC earbuds and that works for me, still very enjoyable.

I never in my wildest imagination thought that digital music with headphones would ever come this far and sound so good, but it has and the sound is so good and convenience is just off the hook, I will go to my grave listening to digital.

I look forward to getting the six power socket OTL from Glenn as I have lots of 6BL7/6BX7 to try and never was just quite happy with the adapters for those tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back