2359glenn | studio
Mar 23, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #25,503 of 39,998
Congrats on the LCD 3.
Mine is a pre-fazor, I believe it is 110 ohms...but not positive.

Just unplugged the Atticus from GOTL and plugged in LCD 3....it powers it just fine, just need to turn up the volume from 10:00 on Atticus to about 1:00 on LCD 3
This is with 5998 power tubes...this headphone has some liquid flowing smooth mids, like smooth milk chocolate. Bass is nice and tight too from GOTL
You will be golden.

I am addicted to planar bass...I love how it just appears and disappears from the music.

I am hoping that Zach at some points does a planar headphone of his own....I can dream!

Have you tried to use a ECC35 or a 6SU7GT as driver?

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #25,504 of 39,998
Have you tried to use a ECC35 or a 6SU7GT as driver?

No I have not. I do not own either.
I am running a Tung Sol 6F8G black glass round plate at the moment.

Mar 23, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #25,507 of 39,998
Congrats on the LCD 3.
Mine is a pre-fazor, I believe it is 110 ohms...but not positive.

Just unplugged the Atticus from GOTL and plugged in LCD 3....it powers it just fine, just need to turn up the volume from 10:00 on Atticus to about 1:00 on LCD 3
This is with 5998 power tubes...this headphone has some liquid flowing smooth mids, like smooth milk chocolate. Bass is nice and tight too from GOTL
You will be golden.

I am addicted to planar bass...I love how it just appears and disappears from the music.

I am hoping that Zach at some points does a planar headphone of his own....I can dream!

I can't wait to listen to the LCD3, especially so since I'll be able to compare it to the LCD-2f, the latter will be sold after I've enough time to compare them.

I've been reading the LCD3 reviews here on Head-Fi. So many gifted writers who are obviously passionate with audio and music.

I think the LCD3 will be a good ying and yang with the HD800. I await to be golden. I miss the sound of Mullard ECC35 with 6 x 6bx7gt on the GOTL. In fact so many gorgeous tubes to listen with.... this time with socket savers for sure.
I agree with all of that.

The LCD3 will be a nice contrast to the HD800. They should like the higher gain tubes like 5998, etc.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #25,508 of 39,998
Your Sansuis will rock the Audeze as well,but im suspecting the GOTL will have a cleaner bottom end.

Got my Cetron 6336b yesterday. Happy to report theres no buzz coming from these,and like the tone too. Very nice with Verites,too bright for the Auteurs. Are 5998s brighter than the Cetrons? Put in a cpl bids on some warmer,cheap power tubes to tide me over til I can find some end game warm power tubes.

@gibosi those Mullard 6080s from Serbia arent legit?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #25,509 of 39,998
Your Sansuis will rock the Audeze as well,but im suspecting the GOTL will have a cleaner bottom end.

Got my Cetron 6336b yesterday. Happy to report theres no buzz coming from these,and like the tone too. Very nice with Verites,too bright for the Auteurs. Are 5998s brighter than the Cetrons? Put in a cpl bids on some warmer,cheap power tubes to tide me over til I can find some end game warm power tubes.

Glad they got to you MZ.

The 5998s are brighter than the RCA 6AS7Gs but I think they’re less bright than the Cetrons. It is a great power tube with the Verite. It layers better than any other power tube I have and has a deep sound stage.

Mar 23, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #25,510 of 39,998
Glad they got to you MZ.

The 5998s are brighter than the RCA 6AS7Gs but I think they’re less bright than the Cetrons. It is a great power tube with the Verite. It layers better than any other power tube I have and has a deep sound stage.

Put in a cpl bids on GEs and RCAs,cheap...so cheap that even if theyre the same its okay. Have read that GE/RCA are the same tube often,but no idea if thats the case here.

Yeah was listening to Best of Vaya Con Dios last night and was really enjoying them.

Mar 23, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #25,511 of 39,998

They certainly look to be legit. The construction matches and you can make out the Mullard production code in the pics:

AJ1 R1G = Mullard / Mitcham -- July, 1961

Mar 23, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #25,512 of 39,998
Put in a cpl bids on GEs and RCAs,cheap...so cheap that even if theyre the same its okay. Have read that GE/RCA are the same tube often,but no idea if thats the case here.

Yeah was listening to Best of Vaya Con Dios last night and was really enjoying them.

To the best of my knowledge, of the American manufacturers, only RCA and Chatham / Tung-Sol manufactured the 6AS7G. So if the GE looks like an RCA, then it is.

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #25,513 of 39,998

I was enjoying Vaya Con Dios too though it's the first time I'm listening to her sing and I know nothing about French.

It's quite clear, you have a preference for a slight warm tilt with tubes for your Verite. So I wouldn't suggest 5998, 6336b and even Mullard 6080. The best choice would be the GEC 6as7g, next would be the equally as hard to obtain Chatham 6as7g. Try RCA 6as7g. Might be too warm and bassy for you.

I'm quite adaptable. I can go from one extreme to another, depending on mood. At 5am in the morning having just stumble out of sleep, I would prefer warmest tubes to serenade me out of sleep.

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #25,514 of 39,998
Congrats on the LCD-3, bet you will not be disappointed!

Hi SI thanks. I won't be going in blind folded, having already spend more than a year with a LCD-2f. My expectations would be a luscious mid and a deep deep volcanic bass. I'm ok with the treble being loped off. There are times when I love this sound signature and there are times I'd love the clarity and soundstage of the HD800.

I'm now listening with the LCD-2f with the warmish tone of the Sansui and I'm starting to enjoy this Vaya Con Dios that came out of nowhere. :)

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #25,515 of 39,998
@gibosi

I was hoping you could verify that the Colomor I own is a Fivre 12SL7. Looking online it seems that it matches several other pictures of the round plate Fivres but doesn’t look at all like my 12SN7 Fivre. I’m thinking a change in production? Also what would of came first the non round plate or round plate? Thanks!

B610755E-6C8B-4480-AE3C-5178C0654C9C.jpeg

2F23CD88-DA2B-43A1-8CAA-1DD8FBC826BB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• domi
Back