2359glenn | studio
Dec 8, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #23,913 of 39,994
Ok then. Thanks Glenn. If I have to add money for the sockets plus the amp I'm better with the EL3N amp directly :)

In the EL3N amp have to use Yamamoto sockets all other side pin sockets are junk!!!!!
But there less of then and they are cheaper.
$30 X 4 plus a octal for rectifier not a necessity though like the side pin.

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #23,917 of 39,994
@felix3650 some time back you ask if anyone uses a Gold Lion E88CC/6922. I have one but due to the many drivers I have, it just doesn't get enough play time. Very nice sounding tube for not much money though. With these power tubes, I can just kick back and listen to music.

A review from https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/gold-lion-e88cc-6922

IMG-2150.JPG

Dec 8, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #23,918 of 39,994
Kudos to JV, the power tubes combination of quad 6BL7 and 5998 is really nice. :) I like it.

This is one driver I won't regret spending money on. Details, clarity, soundstage and bass served on a silver platter. That's the Sylvania 6sn7w metal base. In this combination, it puts you in the 'just one more song please' frame of mind..... the family is calling me that there is a lunch appointment. Such is life.

IMG-2151.JPG

Dec 8, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #23,919 of 39,994
Are you going to get the Yamamoto sockets ?

I'll tell you this much Joe. I like the GOTL so much that I'll really consider the Yamamoto sockets if I am going to send it back to USA.

This amp will be made new and it will stay with me for keeps. With all the tubes I've collected, I'm not letting this amp go.

Dec 8, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #23,920 of 39,994
Kudos to JV, the power tubes combination of quad 6BL7 and 5998 is really nice. :) I like it.

This is one driver I won't regret spending money on. Details, clarity, soundstage and bass served on a silver platter. That's the Sylvania 6sn7w metal base. In this combination, it puts you in the 'just one more song please' frame of mind..... the family is calling me that there is a lunch appointment. Such is life.

Agree about Sylvania 6SN7W, mine are black base, but I do think they are very special. Have no regrets on buying mine, either. Sound different (in a very very good way) from every other SN7 tube...

I have often asked myself...if I could only have ONE driver...6SN7W would definitely be in the running.

:)

Dec 8, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #23,921 of 39,994
@Gkar has a pair of NOS NIB Sylvania 6sn7w black base with new green letterings. I don't blame him for anxiously waiting for his amp. Hang in tight mate. The wait is worth it. :)

Dec 8, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #23,922 of 39,994
Well Mordy, the onus is on you to continue to provide feedback on the Mullard EL32. Mine is out of action for the time being but I don't really miss it because I can spin some of my favourites again.

Dec 8, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #23,923 of 39,994
Pins are more than twice as long as the c3g pins.

Hi UT,
With all the talk of raising the tubes I found a very inexpensive solution! Should help for the C3g adapters with the too long pins:
upload_2018-12-8_20-13-18.png

upload_2018-12-8_20-14-5.png

Was cleaning up yesterday and found these garden hose washers - probably paid 99c for 10.
They fit perfectly and I doubt that they will melt with the EL32 tubes - seems to be an easy solution for the adapter pins not going too deep into the sockets, and works just fine.

Dec 8, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #23,925 of 39,994
Alright will see what I can find in the garage. Maybe some blue tack?
Hi UT,
You could just leave the adapters in without pushing all the way down; everything will stay in place. However,
I can also hear that scratching sound. I adjusted my volume control on the GOTL so that 6 o'clock is zero. I have so much gain that I don't need more than 8 o'clock to have more than enough gain for both headphones and speakers. Without music, turning the volume control past 9-10 o'clock brings on that low pitched scratching, hissing sound; but as said,it does not impinge on my listening.
No doubt your hearing is much more sensitive than mine, so maybe you hear it earlier.
That scratching sound is similar to turning a scratchy volume pot - I have no idea what causes it. Maybe try a ferrite core on the anode wire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back