2359glenn | studio
Aug 23, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #21,931 of 39,994
Im running a Mullard GZ32 and 6x 6bl7s...dunno how you would categorize that roll,bright/warm/neutral.

Aug 23, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #21,932 of 39,994
RCA Black plates from vacuumtubes.net. I think you may have got yours from there too!
You really have to look carefully at those 6BX7 tubes. I have Westinghouse, RCA and Philco(Sylvania), and all of them have the tell tale little sandblasted dots on the glass, which means that they were made by GE.
Have not compared the GE tubes to other brands, but they sound excellent in the GOTL.

Aug 23, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #21,934 of 39,994
Giving the 6 x 6bx7gt a break. Using a pair of Svetlana 6h13c now. Put in the c3g/s and there's noise at all. These same c3g/s with 6 x 6bx7gt hums to the point that I stop using them. In all I have 3 pair of NOS c3gs. Glad I can still use the c3g now and that it's not the tubes. The c3gs has clarity none can come close. If you find your setup too bright, it's best to pick other drivers. I have no problem with the c3gs in my setup though.

Aug 23, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #21,936 of 39,994
I caved and bought the 6BX7's lol. They are on their way. I knew I should have stayed away from this thread!!

It’s a good move. 6 x 6bx7 or 6bl7 is a signature tone in the GOTL.

Now try and get a cheap Tung Sol 12sn7gt bgrp with it. You will have a very good premier tone.

A Tung Sol 12sl7gt bgrp will do too.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #21,937 of 39,994
Im running a Mullard GZ32 and 6x 6bl7s...dunno how you would categorize that roll,bright/warm/neutral.

For sure, the Mullard GZ32 is not at all bright, but the different brands of 6BL7 do have different sonic signatures. Which brand are you using? You might want compare RCA, Sylvania, GE and Tung-Sol to see how well they complement the C3g in your system. (I assume you have the Siemens.). In my experience, Sylvania 6BX7 have the most treble energy, next the GE, and then Tung-Sol and RCA.

And then, we all have different ears. My old and wornout ears are pretty sensitive to treble and I use a pair of HD700's. While my headphones have been modified to smooth out and attenuate the treble, they are still rather bright. I have found the combination of Tung-Sol 6BX7, GEC U18/20 and Siemens C3g to be magical. However, when I roll in the Lorenz C3g, the sound becomes rather dull and flat. Swapping in the brighter Fivre 6BX7 in place of the Tung-Sol 6BX7 brings the magic back. :)

Aug 23, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #21,938 of 39,994
For sure, the Mullard GZ32 is not at all bright, but the different brands of 6BL7 do have different sonic signatures. Which brand are you using? You might want compare RCA, Sylvania, GE and Tung-Sol to see how well they complement the C3g in your system. (I assume you have the Siemens.). In my experience, Sylvania 6BX7 have the most treble energy, next the GE, and then Tung-Sol and RCA.

And then, we all have different ears. My old and wornout ears are pretty sensitive to treble and I use a pair of HD700's. While my headphones have been modified to smooth out and attenuate the treble, they are still rather bright. I have found the combination of Tung-Sol 6BX7, GEC U18/20 and Siemens C3g to be magical. However, when I roll in the Lorenz C3g, the sound becomes rather dull and flat. Swapping in the brighter Fivre 6BX7 in place of the Tung-Sol 6BX7 brings the magic back. :)

I bought mine from Andy at vintagetubeservices.com
He says that even though two of mine say RCA,they are in fact all GE,and he hates them. So I dunno what to think other than theyre all GEs. When I roll in a different driver ,like 25v that Glenn included with the GOTL there is nothing bright about the way the amp makes any of my headphones sound,but when the C3Gs go in,they become a bit treble happy with neutral headphones

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #21,939 of 39,994
He says that even though two of mine say RCA,they are in fact all GE,and he hates them. So I dunno what to think other than theyre all GEs. When I roll in a different driver ,like 25v that Glenn included with the GOTL there is nothing bright about the way the amp makes any of my headphones sound,but when the C3Gs go in,they become a bit treble happy with bright headphones

Generally speaking, tubes manufactured in the German sphere tend to be brighter: Siemens, Telefunken, Valvo, Hungarian Tungsram and others. In my experience, this is true of double triodes and rectifiers as well as the C3g. On the other hand, tubes manufactured in British and western European factories, such as Mullard, British Mazda, Brimar, Cossor, La Radiotechnique, and Philips tend to be warmer and darker.

Tubes manufactured in different factories have different sonic signatures. And further, tubes manufactured in the same factory tend to have similar sonic signatures.

So, it is the "nature" of the Siemens C3g to be brighter than a Brimar 25SN7. They were manufactured in different factories, owned by different companies, and located in different countries.

So again, it is likely that the GE 6BL7 with the Siemens are just a bit too bright for your system. I would encourage you to pick up some RCA 6BL7. Now, RCA did not begin to manufacture the 6BL7 until around 1960. And therefore, there are lots of Sylvanias and GEs masquerading as RCA. Fortunately, it is easy to recongize "real" RCA as they have clear tops and side getters. If the tops are shiny, they are either GE or Sylvania. An example of a real RCA:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RC...s-Electronics-New-Old-Stock-C583/173458689779

Have fun! :)

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #21,940 of 39,994
Yup all mine,even the ones labeled RCA,have shiny tops.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #21,941 of 39,994
He says that even though two of mine say RCA,they are in fact all GE,and he hates them. So I dunno what to think other than theyre all GEs. When I roll in a different driver ,like 25v that Glenn included with the GOTL there is nothing bright about the way the amp makes any of my headphones sound,but when the C3Gs go in,they become a bit treble happy with neutral headphones

Just use the 25SN7 and forget the C3gs if they are to bright.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #21,942 of 39,994
Generally speaking, tubes manufactured in the German sphere tend to be brighter: Siemens, Telefunken, Valvo, Hungarian Tungsram and others. In my experience, this is true of double triodes and rectifiers as well as the C3g. On the other hand, tubes manufactured in British and western European factories, such as Mullard, British Mazda, Brimar, Cossor, La Radiotechnique, and Philips tend to be warmer and darker.

Tubes manufactured in different factories have different sonic signatures. And further, tubes manufactured in the same factory tend to have similar sonic signatures.

So, it is the "nature" of the Siemens C3g to be brighter than a Brimar 25SN7. They were manufactured in different factories, owned by different companies, and located in different countries.

So again, it is likely that the GE 6BL7 with the Siemens are just a bit too bright for your system. I would encourage you to pick up some RCA 6BL7. Now, RCA did not begin to manufacture the 6BL7 until around 1960. And therefore, there are lots of Sylvanias and GEs masquerading as RCA. Fortunately, it is easy to recongize "real" RCA as they have clear tops and side getters. If the tops are shiny, they are either GE or Sylvania. An example of a real RCA:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RC...s-Electronics-New-Old-Stock-C583/173458689779

Have fun! :)
And year and construction also make a big difference. My Mullard 12AX7 1955's sound quite different to the 1965's. I don't think you'd call the 1955's warm, but you would the 1965's. I'd simply call the better tubes as more revealing. They reveal more of the sound without any coloring (warm or bright).

What about GEC tubes? Warm or bright? I'd say the 1950's are perfect :)

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #21,943 of 39,994
Oh - and see if you can try a set of LCD-3's. They can be had for very reasonable prices these days. I doubt you'll have any issues with treble with those.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #21,944 of 39,994
And year and construction also make a big difference. My Mullard 12AX7 1955's sound quite different to the 1965's. I don't think you'd call the 1955's warm, but you would the 1965's. I'd simply call the better tubes as more revealing. They reveal more of the sound without any coloring (warm or bright).

What about GEC tubes? Warm or bright? I'd say the 1950's are perfect :)

I was speaking in very general terms. But of course, tubes manufactured in the same factory, but at different times, often sound different.

Still, there is no mistaking a Mullard ECC88 for a Siemens ECC88, regardless of the date of manufacture. The sonic signatures of tubes manufactured by these two companies are very different. And I would assume that this is also true if comparing 12AX7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back