2359glenn | studio
Feb 6, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #18,361 of 40,001
While waiting in the queue for a Glenn amp I decided to shop for the 5A Cetron 6336B graphite tubes that some people seem to like a lot.
My present FA Elise amp can only accept 6.8A of firepower.

Did I say firepower? These could double as heaters on a cold winter night lol....

However, the tubes have arrived and I have to test them. Now.
What to do?
Dug up my Glenn inspired 6 octal tube adapter, a 15A/12V computer power supply and a 15A voltage regulator from my early Elise days.
Connected everything, and it works! And even though the PS and voltage regulator are cheap stuff, there is no noise or hum even at full volume.

The amp is downright cold with only a load of 1.2A, but the heat sinks on the voltage regulator gets hot. After the big tubes warmed up I only needed 10 o'clock volume (my usual) for good volume. Although I did not try to match the Cetrons with synergistic drivers yet (now using side getter Foton 6H8C from the 60's), the great and detailed bass is readily evident.
Just imagine being able to use these American Muscle tubes without all the makeshift stuff in a proper Glenn amp!

Nice tubes :)

Nice to use socket savers with these tubes, takes away some of the heat from the chassis
These will keep you warm on a cold winters night.

Feb 6, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #18,362 of 40,001
Nice tubes :)

Nice to use socket savers with these tubes, takes away some of the heat from the chassis
These will keep you warm on a cold winters night.

The Lundahl/10 socket GOTL remains relatively cool regardless of the power tubes used.

Worst case scenario is with four 6080WC, top plate between the tubes only goes to about 100 degrees F. Same or a few degrees less with two 6336B. The bases of these tubes are no where near as hot as the top third of the glass bulb.

Makes sense since four 6080/6AS7 at 2.5A is the same heater output as two 6336 at 5A, and very close to six 6BX7 at 1.5A.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #18,369 of 40,001
The anti-tubes :)

Replace the one way valve function a vacuum tube...with soul-less one way valve of transistors...

:)[/Q
These solid state tubes come as noval or octal base. Looked up the four tubes supplied with their Freya preamp. Basic setup are 4 Russian 6N8S. Next upgrade is Tung Sol 6SN7 (most likely reissue), then all ss, and finally, upping the price from the basic $699 to $959 for a combination of 2 TS and 2 ss tubes!
BTW, I did notice the Feliks Audio offers you an option to buy their amps without tubes. If Shiyt did this you could save a lot of money. The 6N8S can be found (priced today on eBay) for $4 or less (buying 4), and the TS for $21 (buying a pair), all including shipping. The ss tubes are $50.
And the LISST tubes are not recommended for non Shiyt amps.....
Tried to find some reviews of the LISST tubes - seems that many people prefer glass....

Feb 7, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #18,371 of 40,001
Good. I really didn't need yet another option for tube rolling. The sooner my OTL lands the better and stop me optioneering.

We will all be sending you cases of Ramen Noodles after the GOTL gets there...it's gonna be: Goodbye Moo-Lah!

money-flying-out-window.jpg

:)

Feb 7, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #18,373 of 40,001
While waiting in the queue for a Glenn amp I decided to shop for the 5A Cetron 6336B graphite tubes that some people seem to like a lot.
My present FA Elise amp can only accept 6.8A of firepower.

Did I say firepower? These could double as heaters on a cold winter night lol....

However, the tubes have arrived and I have to test them. Now.
What to do?
Dug up my Glenn inspired 6 octal tube adapter, a 15A/12V computer power supply and a 15A voltage regulator from my early Elise days.
Connected everything, and it works! And even though the PS and voltage regulator are cheap stuff, there is no noise or hum even at full volume.

The amp is downright cold with only a load of 1.2A, but the heat sinks on the voltage regulator gets hot. After the big tubes warmed up I only needed 10 o'clock volume (my usual) for good volume. Although I did not try to match the Cetrons with synergistic drivers yet (now using side getter Foton 6H8C from the 60's), the great and detailed bass is readily evident.
Just imagine being able to use these American Muscle tubes without all the makeshift stuff in a proper Glenn amp!
While tube rolling I accidentally broke off a guide pin - has anybody tried crazy glue to glue it back?
While tube rolling I accidentally broke off a guide pin - has anybody tried crazy glue to glue it back?
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/8-Octal-Vac...023401?hash=item1c9de39a69:g:jXsAAOSwTZ1XmMfR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back