2359glenn | studio
Feb 5, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #18,348 of 39,998
Beautiful! I got very excited and thought that was mine at first, but I was expecting a preamp tube socket? Actually I think (hope) that is mine. It looks absolutely incredible.

It is yours no preamp tube socket ran out of room uses the existing tubs just have to find quiet ones.
And they are good sounding tubes in there.

Feb 5, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #18,349 of 39,998
It is yours no preamp tube socket ran out of room uses the existing tubs just have to find quiet ones.
And they are good sounding tubes in there.

Brilliant, really looking forward to this beauty! So, the preamp power tubes are just using the existing power tubes. Noise aside, are there any do's and dont's, e.g. 6 x 6BL7 or 6BX7 will still be ok?

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #18,350 of 39,998
Latest build with XLR input and preamp output.
Thought I was running out of room using Amphenol XLR jacks.

Very nice, definitely a chassis full.
You will soon have to go to the bigger chassis for your OTL amps :beyersmile:

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #18,352 of 39,998
Brilliant, really looking forward to this beauty! So, the preamp power tubes are just using the existing power tubes. Noise aside, are there any do's and dont's, e.g. 6 x 6BL7 or 6BX7 will still be ok?

Any of these tubes will work fine just have to find quiet ones.
If only using as a preamp two 6BX7/6Bl7s will be fine driving the preamp output.
My preamp has 6BL7 on the output driven by a #26 tube and is completely quiet.

Feb 5, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #18,353 of 39,998
Quiet tubes are important for me. Fortunately there are many driver and power tube combinations that are quiet with my mostly NOS collection.

When I first had the GOTL, I was naturally drawn to 6 x 6BX7 as power tubes. Sylvania 6sn7w metal base and 6 x 6bx7 is a quiet combination for me and one of my favourite but I'm starting to appreciate other simpler setups. I'm now running a single Brimar 13D1 with a pair of GEC 6080. Super quiet and great tone. So good I forget about the tubes and just get on with listening to music.

Feb 5, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #18,354 of 39,998
Grabbed this sweet looking solid state rectifier with a decorative tube-shaped top for like $15 the other day on eBay. Listening right now with the Acoustic Research AR-H1, a pair of 6336 power tubes and a Sylvania 6SN7, and it sounds awesome. Tight and punchy sound. I like the speed, but I do like the sound of my tube rectifiers too. Anyway, good option to have when the mood strikes, since one can easily get a plug-in solid state rectifier for $10-$15.

654AABCC-18C0-4CD1-8BD1-50B260ADE2C7.jpeg

Feb 5, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #18,356 of 39,998
I like it, it looks cool with the tube top.

Feb 5, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #18,357 of 39,998
Grabbed this sweet looking solid state rectifier with a decorative tube-shaped top for like $15 the other day on eBay. Listening right now with the Acoustic Research AR-H1, a pair of 6336 power tubes and a Sylvania 6SN7, and it sounds awesome. Tight and punchy sound. I like the speed, but I do like the sound of my tube rectifiers too. Anyway, good option to have when the mood strikes, since one can easily get a plug-in solid state rectifier for $10-$15.

It certainly looks cool... But I wonder, is it advertised as a HEXFRED?

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #18,358 of 39,998
It certainly looks cool... But I wonder, is it advertised as a HEXFRED?

It was not - I didn’t buy it new, so I can’t really tell you that much about the build. I was too curious to pass it up though!

Feb 5, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #18,359 of 39,998
While waiting in the queue for a Glenn amp I decided to shop for the 5A Cetron 6336B graphite tubes that some people seem to like a lot.
My present FA Elise amp can only accept 6.8A of firepower.
upload_2018-2-5_23-29-25.png

Did I say firepower? These could double as heaters on a cold winter night lol....

However, the tubes have arrived and I have to test them. Now.
What to do?
Dug up my Glenn inspired 6 octal tube adapter, a 15A/12V computer power supply and a 15A voltage regulator from my early Elise days.
Connected everything, and it works! And even though the PS and voltage regulator are cheap stuff, there is no noise or hum even at full volume.
upload_2018-2-5_23-33-39.png

The amp is downright cold with only a load of 1.2A, but the heat sinks on the voltage regulator gets hot. After the big tubes warmed up I only needed 10 o'clock volume (my usual) for good volume. Although I did not try to match the Cetrons with synergistic drivers yet (now using side getter Foton 6H8C from the 60's), the great and detailed bass is readily evident.
Just imagine being able to use these American Muscle tubes without all the makeshift stuff in a proper Glenn amp!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #18,360 of 39,998
While waiting in the queue for a Glenn amp I decided to shop for the 5A Cetron 6336B graphite tubes that some people seem to like a lot.
My present FA Elise amp can only accept 6.8A of firepower.

Did I say firepower? These could double as heaters on a cold winter night lol....

However, the tubes have arrived and I have to test them. Now.
What to do?
Dug up my Glenn inspired 6 octal tube adapter, a 15A/12V computer power supply and a 15A voltage regulator from my early Elise days.
Connected everything, and it works! And even though the PS and voltage regulator are cheap stuff, there is no noise or hum even at full volume.

The amp is downright cold with only a load of 1.2A, but the heat sinks on the voltage regulator gets hot. After the big tubes warmed up I only needed 10 o'clock volume (my usual) for good volume. Although I did not try to match the Cetrons with synergistic drivers yet (now using side getter Foton 6H8C from the 60's), the great and detailed bass is readily evident.
Just imagine being able to use these American Muscle tubes without all the makeshift stuff in a proper Glenn amp!

Congrats on finding those beauties.
Yes, those are Cetron''s tall bottle quarter pounders. :)
They are hot performers indeed, both temperature and SQ.
And really nice light show also.

Admire your determination in bringing those suckers to life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back