2359glenn | studio
Jan 4, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #17,671 of 39,986
You can add warmth to the HD800 by using RCA or Mullard power tubes or warmer driver tube like RCA or a nice neutral tube like Tung Sol mouse ear.
I find these help tame the upper end of the HD800.

So many tubes that you can use, you can find something on the warmer side.

Thanks Whirlwind, which exact type of tube are you thinking of in relation to RCA and Mullard etc?

Jan 4, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #17,672 of 39,986
Thanks Whirlwind, which exact type of tube are you thinking of in relation to RCA and Mullard etc?

Pretty much all RCA tubes that i have tried are on the warmer side.
This would include power tubes such as 6AS7G and 6BX7 and about any 6/12/25 volt driver tubes.

RCA tubes do not seem to be as dynamic and impactful as some other tubes, but no doubt they have a warm tone. You don't have to worry about fatigue.

Most Sylvania tubes that I have tried have much more air in the upper registers.

Personally, I like both.

Of course, like always YMMV due to your chain , music ect.

I have never found it hard to get a brighter sound, much easier than getting a more darker signature with more detail, especially the way new music is compressed these days with all of the loudness built in.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #17,673 of 39,986
As far as I know tubes are not included, but tubes needed are not expensive, certainly not like 300b etc. I just ordered a Glenn OTL and really looking forward to hearing one for myself. From what UT has said, c3g and 6bx7's are very good with rock music.
As a tube-noob myself, which tube(s) would add a bit of warmth to something like HD800, or are c3g and 6bx7 sufficient?

C3g and 6BX7 are a good place to start. Both have good low end substance and definition without any treble issues, at least not with my ear and gear.
Good combination to get a sense of how the GOTL opens and projects the low end with your gear, from there you can go warmer if desired.
Will you have Hexfred or tube rectifier?

Jan 4, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #17,674 of 39,986
Honestly I was hoping you would chime in Hansotek. You were the one that tipped me off on the CSP3 before! I was pretty much set on that (just working on finances and logistics) but then I came across Glenn's OTL. Seeing all the different tube options, the fact that it works with low Z and high Z headphones, planars, etc., it sounds like a no-brainer to go with the GOTL now.

I didn't think you had a GOTL or I would've asked your thoughts. So thanks for chiming in! Have you had a chance to try out the GOTL with the HE500?

I broke out the HE500 to give it a listen, and I kinda forgot how much I like these headphones. This combo definitely rocks. I just popped in a pair of Raytheon 6336 power tubes I scored for cheap on ebay with the usual Miniwatt rectifier and Mullard ECC31 driver (w/ adaptor). A nice warm tilt with this tube rollout and LOTS of bass punch. Mids and treble are liquid and smooth with no strain on any frequencies - just super musical. I haven't tried any other tube combos yet, I bet my GEC 6080s would match nicely with the HE500's sig. Will try those out a little later tonight.

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #17,675 of 39,986
@DaemonSire - Okay, sampled the HE500 with the GEC 6080 output tubes (which are my favorite 6080s in my collection, fully burned in, and a tube that I'm more used to on the GOTL). More neutral and transparent than the 6336 tubes I tried earlier for sure. Not as much crazy punch, but more accurate to the recording and much tighter damping overall. Unquestionably one of the better HE500 presentations I've heard.

I also plugged in a quad of 6BL7 output tubes and did a quick 3-way comparison with the iFi Pro iCan (in tube+ (aka hybrid) mode) and the Wells Audio Milo (solid state) - both are $1,699 - which is a good bit more than I paid for my GOTL, and it hangs with both of these higher-priced, mega-powered, planar-centric amps very well. I think it's a little better than the Pro iCan with the HE500 (GOTL is a little more dynamic and has better mids) and very close to the Milo (which is just a little bit punchier and more incisive). The Glenn is more flowing and liquid in it's presentation with a rounder (but still accurate) punch on the bass and a less violent snare vs. Milo - pretty classic tube vs. solid state. Very surprising to me that the GOTL can hang with these two planar driving beasts - I knew it was good with planars, but this is damn impressive! I wish I had a Liquid Glass here to compare, because I've always felt that had a magic synergy with the HE500... would love to see how the GOTL compares. Regardless, I give the HE500 + GOTL combo a very enthusiastic thumbs up!

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #17,677 of 39,986
C3g and 6BX7 are a good place to start. Both have good low end substance and definition without any treble issues, at least not with my ear and gear.
Good combination to get a sense of how the GOTL opens and projects the low end with your gear, from there you can go warmer if desired.
Will you have Hexfred or tube rectifier?
I have Hexfred. What is the advantage of each option?

Jan 5, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #17,678 of 39,986
Are the tube-rolling options on GOTL restricted with low impedance cans?

Tube rolling on GOTL applies to all headphones. Adapter for ECC31 has just arrived. After warming up ECC31 and 6 x 6bx7 for 2 hours, I started listening with HD800. I can't believe what I hear. ECC31 has a romantic tone with a voluptuous bass. Coupled that with the tight, punchy tone of sextet 6bx7 and the result is pure euphony.

The mercurial pairing.

DSC_0007.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #17,680 of 39,986
I bought most of my adapters from this seller. Good quality in my opinion and the seller probably knows me well by now. Goes by the name of xulingmrs. I've no idea whether male or female. The only downside is it takes quite long to get it. Mine travelled from China to Germany before it gets to Australia. No idea why it made a world trip.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-p...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #17,681 of 39,986
I've since bought 3 expensive NOS tubes from Langrex. The Sylvania 6sn7w metal base, Tung Sol 5998 and Mullard ECC31. All brand new tubes. Don't know how Langrex get these quality tubes new. These are outstanding tubes and I do recommend buying from Langrex.

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #17,682 of 39,986
The ECC31 is a wonderful tube

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #17,684 of 39,986
Yes, you can use all 6N7G tubes with the ECC31 adapter

Jan 5, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #17,685 of 39,986
Mazda 6N7G is identical to Visseaux 6N7G in construction and sound. I've since given my pair of Visseaux 6N7G away.

Mazda 6N7G is brighter in tone than Mullard ECC31 and thus pairs better with GEC 6as7g. Regardless, these are very lovely sounding tubes. They are almost extinct now, like the dinosaurs.

I have the GEC 6as7g on socket savers to match the ECC31 adapter. :)

DSC_0002.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back