2359glenn | studio

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by silent one, Mar 9, 2012.
  1. gibosi
    Adapters are generally available for most medium-mu double triodes, such as 6DJ8, 12AU7, 6F8G and on and on. And for example, the use of a 6DJ8 adapter will allow you to roll all the tubes that are recommended for use in the Schiit Lyr. In short, with the use of adapters, the universe of tubes that can be rolled in the GOTL is enormous. :)

2. mordy
    And I want to add that if you should find some unusual tube with the right electrical characteristics that you want to try, there are vendors that can make the adapters for you.

3. DaemonSire
    Same here. First real headphone was the SR80 years ago. Had the 325e and GH1 as well over that time. I do enjoy Grado's even if they don't get as much love around here :) The MAD Ear+ HD is a great amp. If the GOTL can compare for Grado's, I may just have to let it go. Which is very surprising since I never thought I would...or maybe it will just become a secondary amp for somewhere else.

What has also piqued my interest are the reports of it working with planars. Man, I'm getting excited and I haven't even ordered yet haha.

4. DaemonSire
    Honestly I was hoping you would chime in Hansotek. You were the one that tipped me off on the CSP3 before! I was pretty much set on that (just working on finances and logistics) but then I came across Glenn's OTL. Seeing all the different tube options, the fact that it works with low Z and high Z headphones, planars, etc., it sounds like a no-brainer to go with the GOTL now.

I didn't think you had a GOTL or I would've asked your thoughts. So thanks for chiming in! Have you had a chance to try out the GOTL with the HE500?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Hansotek likes this.
  5. UntilThen
    What Arnold says. :)

These tubes are good enough for a start. In fact c3g and 6 x 6BL7 / 6BX7 is one of the top tube combination for the OTL amp. When you swap in 2 x 6as7 or 6h13c for the sextet 6BL7, you get more 'body' to the tone. More warm and lushness.

6. UntilThen
    c3g and 6bx7 is a magical combination for hd800. I'm using Sylvania 6sn7w metal and 6bx7 now. It's really good too but that single 6sn7w tube is expensive.

I would suggest the following drivers and power tubes to start with. They are quite economical. Then I will show you the expensive stuff later. :)

Drivers:- c3g, RCA 1633, Brimar 13D1, Ken Rad 6sn7gt, any 6sn7gtb in fact.
    Powers:- Sextet 6BL7 / 6BX7, Svetlana 6h13c, RCA 6as7g, Cetron 6336b.

Your amp needs the 6.3 / 12.6 / 25.2 volts switch to use those driver tubes because they are all different voltage there.

7. rnros
    It does depend on the options you choose for your GOTL.
    Some of the adapters I have used include:
    Rectifier 5V Socket: 596 & 1641/RK60
    Driver 6SN7 Socket: 6F8G/6C8G, 6DJ8/ECC88, 2C51/396A/6N3P
    (Switch option available for 6, 12, or 25V drivers.)
    There are others.

8. UntilThen
    Gibosi is the man to ask on tubes and adapters for Glenn OTL amp. We are fortunate to have him in our midst. And rectifiers too if you decide to go with tube rectifiers for your OTL amp.

9. Monsterzero
    What would you say are the biggest differences between the La Figaro 339 and Glenn OTL,and do you think the price difference is reflected in the performance?

10. UntilThen
    The 2 areas of difference between those 2 amps are the mid-range and the bass. LF339 mids is more recessed (in comparison). GOTL mids is more forward and spot on focus in my opinion. As good as the LF339 is on bass and bass weight, GOTL surprise me even more. GOTL is more impactful and extends lower. However it's the overall tone that counts. As a package, GOTL's tone is special, especially with c3g and sextet 6BL7.

Edit:- I do think that the price difference is reflected in the performance. Without a doubt. My opinion though. :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Liu Junyuan, Hansotek and Monsterzero like this.
  11. UntilThen
    There's another thing about GOTL and LF339. The version of LF339 that I have, have a 'sharper' and more vivid tone.

GOTL pairing with HD800 is nigh on perfect. Great combination. This impression is not from me alone. I wouldn't say that LF339 and HD800 are the best pairing. LF339 works better with HD650 in my opinion.

Liu Junyuan likes this.
  12. Monsterzero
    My 339 is a tad too warm for my Atticus,but damn near flawless for my HD250s..how does it handle the Atticus?

13. UntilThen
    I'm more details orientated in my preference. So I prefer Eikon over Atticus but I could live and enjoy Atticus too. On certain genre, the warmth of Atticus works to it's advantage.

Both amps are tuneable with tubes. On LF339, I find myself reaching for the warmer power tubes, such as RCA 6as7g, Bendix 6080, Gec 6as7g. On GOTL, c3g and 6 x 6BL7 has a more dynamic tone and suits Atticus very well too.

Liu Junyuan likes this.
  14. whirlwind
    You can add warmth to the HD800 by using RCA or Mullard power tubes or warmer driver tube like RCA or a nice neutral tube like Tung Sol mouse ear.
    I find these help tame the upper end of the HD800.

So many tubes that you can use, you can find something on the warmer side.

15. attmci
    Matt, please send the tube to me.

I will perform
    Cryogenic treatment
    and make the tube great again!