2359glenn | studio
Jan 2, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #17,626 of 39,986
Yes, have tried some of the Foton 6N8S, it's been a while but I remember they were solid performers, a little more emphasis in the upper bass/low mids but otherwise natural/neutral across the FR with good top and bottom extension and control. Purchased the '58 first, then '59, then one of the early '60s. Good quality also, not many noisy or microphonic tubes in any batch, maybe 10%, or less. Did prefer some of the better American counterparts from the same time period (GTBs), but some others that I shared these with preferred the Fotons. Agree, good value, I recall $6, in batches of 4 or 8. Never saw or heard the early '50s, however, so your '53s with ribbed plates may be better than the late '50s, which I think have smooth plates.
Hi mros,

I have some 60's Fotons and I agree with your impression - solid performer and a little bass heavy.
However, the older early 50's Fotons with the ribbed anodes sound better and are my current favorites.

Jan 2, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #17,628 of 39,986
Turn down the volume of your amp my friends .If you can hear the sound being delivered into a person's ear via headphones or earphones, it indicates the sound is too loud and over an extended period can lead to permanent hearing loss.

https://medicine.stonybrookmedicine...-permanent-hearing-loss-what-you-need-to-know
Hi attmciverizon,

Reading your post makes me nervous. All the people using the same headphone amp that I have report using volume settings of 9-10 o'clock, but I have to use 11-12 o'clock settings to get satisfactory volume.
Is this age related (I am 71) or am I suffering from hearing loss from too loud listening?

The following is a joke: "I am 71 years old, but I am not the least embarrassed to admit it since I was born 83 years ago."

Anyhow, I hope that my hearing loss is age related......

Jan 2, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #17,629 of 39,986
I'm debating between a Decware CSP3 and Glenn OTL. Has anyone heard both and can compare?

Also, what is the order process and prices? Does Glenn make other OTL amps or is it just the one? I must say, I want UntilThen's amp... :)

Have not heard the CSP3, but it is one of the amps I considered, along with the Taboo and others. The CSP3 is highly regarded, so I'm sure it's a great sounding amp. I went with the 3X6 GOTL because of the increased tube rolling options and power capability, and of course, the reviews of a clean transparent SQ that is consistent across a range of headphone impedance.

I already had a LOT of driver tubes, so just looking at the driver options for each:
-CSP3 has a single noval driver socket than can handle (at least) 600mA heater current (6N1P), which should also be able to handle an octal driver with the same heater mA with the appropriate adapter.
-GOTL uses an octal socket for the single twin triode driver. IMHO, the noval options do not equal the SQ level of the octal options. Also, you can use an adapter to make use of your noval tubes. GOTL also has sockets for the C3g driver. Great tube, you can do a little research in this thread.

Also no comparison between the two amps and the power tube options. This GOTL version has 6 octal sockets with a 10A total heater current capability.
And, if you want even more sound options, you can go with tube rectifiers, allowing you to further change FR profiles and soundstage qualities.

Jan 2, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #17,630 of 39,986
Hi mros,

I have some 60's Fotons and I agree with your impression - solid performer and a little bass heavy.
However, the older early 50's Fotons with the ribbed anodes sound better and are my current favorites.

Well then, I'll have to look for some of the early '50s also.
Thanks, but LOL I already have too many tubes!

Jan 2, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #17,632 of 39,986
Thanks, I'll check that out.

Interesting comment on the OTL with Grados. I'm surprised they match up well. I've been thinking of a Glenn OTL/CSP3 to go with my HD800 and (future) Atticus. I was going to keep my MAD Ear+ HD for my Grados but now I'm curious if I can get away with just the GOTL.

Funny that you mention the MAD Ear + HD for your Grados.

I cut my teeth on Grado headphones, LOL.

I bought A MAD Ear + HD for my RS1 headphone and it was a killer match as far as synergy goes....even though you would not think of an OTL amp as a good match for a 32 ohm headphone, it works quite well with the right tubes.
The GEL3N sounds very nice also.

I have an RS1 that I won't part with, just because Grado is the best low level listening headphone that I have come across yet...at low volume the detail is amazing and the mids are to die for....just a tad light on the bottom end, but what is there is great quality bass.
i always describe the bass as, it gets the job done, then gets out of the way of the lovely mids :gs1000smile:

Jan 2, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #17,633 of 39,986
Very interesting! I just checked out that ultrasonic cleaner. Very cheap - especially compared to other ones I've seen. I use two spin clean record washers (one to wash, one to rinse) and then a VPI HW-17 for a final vacuum rinse. I'm going to have to try one of these ultra sonic cleaning machines.

Which do you use first? Ultra sonic or vacuum? If I get one of these ultra sonics, perhaps I could also use it with the HW-17. edit: Ok I see - vacuum after ultra sonic.

Listening with headphones, I'm very particular about the vinyl I listen to. It must be in as new shape and very clean.

I have found that the 'Wood Glue' method works best.

The secret is to apply the wood glue thickly, making sure it goes on nice and thick up by the label and at the lead in groove.
Let it dry completely (requires patience, at _least_ 24 hours) and it will peel off in one piece, removing every last trace of dirt and grime.
You will enjoy heavenly quiet vinyl.

Even restores the "rainbow sheen" to old and dirty thrift store Vinyl.

Happy New Year, and may all your vinyl sound "wood glue" cleaned :)

Jan 2, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #17,634 of 39,986
I wouldn't have a clue if they are Fivre but it's a B36 - a 12sn7 equivalent. I run mine with the switch at 12.6 volt. My experience with Fivre tubes have always been positive. I have Fivre 6A6, 6N7G, 6BX7. All great sounding tubes.

I've not done a comparison with the Marconi B36 metal base. Too much to digest now. I'm just enjoying music as I go. :)

Obviously, "6SN7GT" was a typo. Of course it is "12SN7GT"

But the point is that these foreign made B36 were very likely manufactured by Fivre. And to help you remember:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/2359glenn-studio.600110/page-1080#post-13790706

Jan 2, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #17,635 of 39,986
Obviously, "6SN7GT" was a typo. Of course it is "12SN7GT"

But the point is that these foreign made B36 were very likely manufactured by Fivre. And to help you remember:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/2359glenn-studio.600110/page-1080#post-13790706

Oh yes Fivre indeed. No wonder they sound good.

At the moment all these sound great as drivers in the OTL amp.

Sylvania 6sn7w
Tung Sol 6J8G
Ken Rad 1633 6sn7gt
RCA 1633
Brimar 13D1
Various B36
C3g

Still waiting on the fdd20 and ecc31 adapters.

I think even a Foton as driver will sound great in this amp.

Jan 2, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #17,636 of 39,986
Oh yes Fivre indeed. No wonder they sound good.

At the moment all these sound great as drivers in the OTL amp.

Sylvania 6sn7w
Tung Sol 6J8G
Ken Rad 1633 6sn7gt
RCA 1633
Brimar 13D1
Various B36
C3g

Still waiting on the fdd20 and ecc31 adapters.

I think even a Foton as driver will sound great in this amp.

Have you made a mistake and put a tube in on the wrong voltage yet?

Jan 2, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #17,638 of 39,986

Users who are viewing this thread

Back